How To 

How to Use Less Electricity

I3wem0b.jpg

Power plant emissions are off the charts. As we incorporate more technology in our lives, we require more and more energy to keep our world powered. It might seem like a hopeless cause, but if everyone does their small part and reduces their energy consumption just a little bit, we can significantly reduce the global impact. Here’s what you can do to use less electricity in your home and your life:

1. Only run full loads.
Whether you’re washing dishes, clothes, or using the dryer, only do so when you have a full load to put in. Any less, and you’re using both water and electricity unnecessarily. If you desperately need a dish or have to wear a certain outfit, wash it by hand.

2. Use a power strip.
One of the most common tips you’ll hear about saving electricity is to unplug appliances you’re not using. This job becomes so much easier if you have several appliances connected to a power strip. Not only are power strips more energy efficient, they also make unplugging several electronics at once a cinch. These do come with a warning, though: don’t overload it or you could have a fire hazard on your hands.

0tIQ9Ul.jpg

3. Use energy efficient light bulbs.
“Traditional” incandescent lights should be a thing of the past in your household. Energy efficient bulbs work just as well, last six times longer, and use as much as 75% less energy. Think about how many light bulbs you have in your home, and that percentage becomes even more significant.

4. Ensure your home is properly insulated.
What’s the point of heating or cooling your home if all that air just leaks out anyway? Checking to make sure your home is properly insulated is not only good for the environment and reducing energy consumption, it’s also better for your wallet.

W6QQrXn.jpg

5. Hang clothes to dry in the summer.
Dryers are, for all intents and purposes, unnecessary. Sure they work relatively quickly, but what about the natural dryer that’s right outside your door? In the summer months when the sun is baking the earth, hang your clothes out to dry and use one of the only truly free resources in this world. As a bonus, your clothes will have that sweet summer scent that only comes from letting them dry in the breeze.

How about we use Nicholas Tesla's technology where you have free energy from the current of the Earth. Oh well big petro can't make money on that so you won't see that happen unless people wise up and demand it.

Reactions: JAXX1
Jan 1, 2020
Visit site
Carbon proliferates green plant vegetation growth. Taking carbon out of the atmosphere would result in the loss of vegetation. Thus oxygen would be less present which in turn heat the earth.
By logical analysis the carbon dioxide would not actually heat the earth at all. Ot would by cause /effect... cool it.

Carbon proliferates green plant vegetation growth. Taking carbon out of the atmosphere would result in the loss of vegetation. Thus oxygen would be less present which in turn heat the earth.
By logical analysis the carbon dioxide would not actually heat the earth at all. Ot would by cause /effect... cool it.

Try to tell the climate psychologist that.lol! We are just climate deniers to them.:rolleyes:

Reactions: JAXX1 and Conrad
Nov 26, 2019
Visit site
I3wem0b.jpg

Power plant emissions are off the charts. As we incorporate more technology in our lives, we require more and more energy to keep our world powered. It might seem like a hopeless cause, but if everyone does their small part and reduces their energy consumption just a little bit, we can significantly reduce the global impact. Here’s what you can do to use less electricity in your home and your life:

1. Only run full loads.
Whether you’re washing dishes, clothes, or using the dryer, only do so when you have a full load to put in. Any less, and you’re using both water and electricity unnecessarily. If you desperately need a dish or have to wear a certain outfit, wash it by hand.

2. Use a power strip.
One of the most common tips you’ll hear about saving electricity is to unplug appliances you’re not using. This job becomes so much easier if you have several appliances connected to a power strip. Not only are power strips more energy efficient, they also make unplugging several electronics at once a cinch. These do come with a warning, though: don’t overload it or you could have a fire hazard on your hands.

0tIQ9Ul.jpg

“Traditional” incandescent lights should be a thing of the past in your household. Energy efficient bulbs work just as well, last six times longer, and use as much as 75% less energy. Think about how many light bulbs you have in your home, and that percentage becomes even more significant.

What’s the point of heating or cooling your home if all that air just leaks out anyway? Checking to make sure your home is properly insulated is not only good for the environment and reducing energy consumption, it’s also better for your wallet.

W6QQrXn.jpg

Dryers are, for all intents and purposes, unnecessary. Sure they work relatively quickly, but what about the natural dryer that’s right outside your door? In the summer months when the sun is baking the earth, hang your clothes out to dry and use one of the only truly free resources in this world. As a bonus, your clothes will have that sweet summer scent that only comes from letting them dry in the breeze.

Energy efficient light bulbs do make a huge different - this I've noticed myself. As for washing clothes, I always do a full load. There are newer type washing machines now more water efficient as well as power. Clean much better than the conventional ones.

I remember when they came out with low flow toilets using less water. Most times you have to flush twice or more to do the trick. I have never seen anyone dry clothes outside in the winter time up North look outside the window. Social engineering amuses me it is always one size fits all. Strange my left foot is slightly larger than my right foot.

Reactions: JAXX1 and Wanda
Nov 26, 2019
Visit site
I remember when they came out with low flow toilets using less water. Most times you have to flush twice or more to do the trick. I have never seen anyone dry clothes outside in the winter time up North look outside the window. Social engineering amuses me it is always one size fits all. Strange my left foot is slightly larger than my right foot.
Being in Australia, we do hang to dry out our clothes in winter time. If it's heavy with rain - no. If very overcast, windy &/or cold, yes. As for the left and right foot not being the same size, yes, most would fit that mould

Point taken to make a cart blank statement to hang your clothes out in the sun for all to follow requires an assessment of what part of the world you are talking about. Most people make their opinions on the known world that they see around them, 360 degrees, and figure if they can do it so can the other 7 billions inhabitants of the world can do the same thing. There are too many variables involved.

Jan 4, 2020
Visit site
I3wem0b.jpg

1. Only run full loads.

2. Use a power strip.

0tIQ9Ul.jpg

W6QQrXn.jpg

That's great if you have a yard, but we apartment dwellers are strictly forbidden to hang laundry outside. The idea takes me back 70 years,though, so thanks.

Wal

Dec 21, 2019
Visit site
Save money on your electric bill. if you have an electric water heater, add a timer! Mine turns off at 10 pm, on at 6 am, and never not had hot water. And save $20 month on electric bill ! Perhaps in cold climates might want to double up on your heater wrap.

Aug 31, 2020
Visit site
My electricity bills used to drive me up the wall. Then I made a few changes, I replaced my old 25 litre geysers (for hot water) with new efficient 5 litre geysers. I changed all the bulbs in the house to LED's . The results were really amazing, my electricity bills went down by more than half or at least to a level where I didn't mind paying them.

Jan 4, 2020
Visit site
I have similar reactions. My apartment complex went to low-flow toilets a few years back and everyone here admits to having to flush twice. And you're right: one size does not fit all. Apartment dwellers do not have a yard in which to erect a clothesline, and many leases (including mine) prohibit any drying of laundry on the patios and balconies. I'm all for energy efficiency and preserving natural resources but certain genies are out of the bottle. We can't just go back to nature, so we human wizards should be working on solutions that suit modern life (e.g., solar and wind energy, water purification for reuse, realistic public transit options, rethinking how many lamps/vehicles/pairs of shoes, water-thirsty grass lawns and flower gardens the average person actually needs). We have to perfect our appliances, vehicles, etc., and we have to simply consume less. My Yankee heritage taught me to "Use it up, wear it out. Make it do or do without."

I read an article recently of some who shower lightly once a week, unless obviously soiled. People's diets and environments and affects make them filthy.

Clothes can dry inside, as most of us use AC and have dry houses. Use open doors and shower racks/doors, and chairs and tables. I dry blankets and such this way.

Turn off computer devices at night.

Use a smart device when it decreases electrical use.

(( ...ce.com/threads/how-to-use-less-electricity.20/#post-13277 ))

Dec 16, 2021
Visit site
I3wem0b.jpg

1. Only run full loads.

2. Use a power strip.

0tIQ9Ul.jpg

3. Use energy efficient light bulbs mcdvoice.

W6QQrXn.jpg

I have never seen anyone dry clothes outside in the winter time up North look outside the window. Social engineering amuses me it is always one size fits all.

Last edited:
Our family use to clothes line dry all year round. They dry in the winter and smell just as good. The only time it doesn't work is below freezing. Then the attic or basement, but it doesn't smell as good. They smell exceptionally well, drying in a hay barn.

I3wem0b.jpg

1. Only run full loads.

2. Use a power strip.

0tIQ9Ul.jpg

W6QQrXn.jpg

Every electrical device (or every mains socket) should have a simple consumption meter on it (ideally accessible for data analysis). If we were actually conscious of how much each device or outlet was using (& costing) at any one time we would be in a better position to make all the adjustments we require.
I don't believe this is beyond the realms of current technology (or legislation).