Scientists finally figure out why cats are obsessed with tuna

Sep 6, 2023
Visit site
Well, then there's something wrong with my cat. She doesn't like seafood much unless it's mixed with chicken. Even then it can be iffy. Tuna itself, alone or mixed-- she won't touch it with a 10' paw! Of course, when she's stressed, she also licks plastic and tries to eat paper packing tape, cardboard and styrofoam. Weird kitty. I don't believe she was socialized. Not very affectionate (but getting better), but I know she loves me and I her! I wouldn't change her for anything. Ok, maybe I'd change the pica because it could end up hurting her-- or worse... and that would kill me! Take good care all!
~Spread love, not hate! Hate has never solved anything.~

Nov 1, 2023
Visit site
This is an example of a common myth

Human Beings do not taste sweet. Extensive scientific tests were done on LACTOSE The sugar found in milk, the food all human infants must consume to survive.

Strangely most humans were indifferent to lactose and some disliked it. We concluded humans must only consume milk for it's umami taste. Or perhaps humans have a mysterious 6th flavor.

This is what being said about Cats, and it's a common myth!

We are also told to Keep the antifreeze away from cats and dogs because it's so sweet it's irresistible.

Both things are not true. Cats are indifferent to carbs, but humans can't taste most carbs either except for simple sugars or when they are cross linked with proteins. That's why we cook.

I do not know what foods taste sweet to cats, but I DO know they can taste sweet.
Cats like tunu do the aroma, and it's probably NOT even perceived on their tongue.

This is extremely obvious by Feline behavior. Fish is aromatic and a scent cats love.

Cats Dont prefer the flavor, that's another myth. They are indifferent to it. Given a choice most cats will refuse to eat tuna, but will bury themselves in the packing water! They will eat almost anything the tuna water touches.

If you want to see like sweet, offer a dollop of whip cream, wait 3 seconds and watch their face light up in surprise. They are also lactose intolerant
Well, then there's something wrong with my cat. She doesn't like seafood much unless it's mixed with chicken. Even then it can be iffy. Tuna itself, alone or mixed-- she won't touch it with a 10' paw! Of course, when she's stressed, she also licks plastic and tries to eat paper packing tape, cardboard and styrofoam. Weird kitty. I don't believe she was socialized. Not very affectionate (but getting better), but I know she loves me and I her! I wouldn't change her for anything. Ok, maybe I'd change the pica because it could end up hurting her-- or worse... and that would kill me! Take good care all!
~Spread love, not hate! Hate has never solved anything.~
Most cats don't prefer the taste of tuna. These researchers haven't observed well. They like the aroma. Most cats will drink the water and spurn most of the meat.

Nov 4, 2023
Visit site
Well this does line up with how my cats go crazy for tuna. Their favorite is fresh ahi but they also love the canned stuff even though I've never given them any. It's the smell, for sure. I wouldn't want to give them the amount of salt that is in most canned tuna, but a little sushi grade ahi, eaten fresh as a treat is something they have on occasion.

I've had cats who seemed like they could taste sugar, not something like sweetened cream (also has fat so it's not a good example). I had one in particular who would beg for caramels that were made from nothing but sugar, and once even tore into a sugar bag to eat the contents. That was nothing but pure, white, granulated sugar, which by this logic should not have been interesting to a cat. I have asked vets about it and finally got the response that maybe some cats do have the capacity to test sweetness. I would guess that could be the case in some individuals, perhaps similar to the way some humans have stronger bitterness receptors than others.