It shows the power of the matriarch': Heartbreaking footage shows orca mom and son team up to drown another pod's calf

Nov 26, 2019
Visit site
What was the reaction from the parent pod, or was the juvenile isolated? Was there any action to protect him?
We need a lot more information if you wish to be called a true science journal.

Mar 21, 2024
Visit site
Episode 6 of Queens on Nat Geo.
I watched the episode and learned absolutely nothing more.

The episode fails to mention basic things such the region/location and the population/ecotype of orcas that this phenomenon took place in, and there is no mention on how the mother of the calf and the other members of her pod reacted either.

These are crucial pieces of information considering how widely behaviors differ between various orca populations.

Jun 19, 2023
Visit site
I watched the episode and learned absolutely nothing more.

The episode fails to mention basic things such the region/location and the population/ecotype of orcas that this phenomenon took place in, and there is no mention on how the mother of the calf and the other members of her pod reacted either.

These are crucial pieces of information considering how widely behaviors differ between various orca populations.
You saw what everyone else did. It was difficult to tell exactly what was going on. It looked like the matriarch and her son drowned the calf. The mother was probably helpless to stop them. I'm sure you can find out the region and specific populations involved. If you can do better, then go do your own orca research and filming.
The scene where the matriarch strikes a great white is absolutely incredible. That is some of the best predation footage I've ever seen. I'm amazed they caught it.

Latest posts