The reality of culture .

Mar 17, 2024
Visit site
The Beginning Of An End by S.P.Leese

After the meteor impacted the Earth , the lasting impression of the survivors was sadness . I will never forget the tortured screams I heard as my cowardice got the better of me , hiding in a ditch until the world went quiet .The food sources were gone , the world was in ruins. Scavenging for food was all there was and each day I became weaker .
I remember the morning dew on the grass as I lay there with my last breathes . I prayed for help as my blurry vision stared into the darkness of no hope .Light turned into darkness and darkness turned into light as I faded in and out of consciousness , knowing this was the end for me .A single teardrop rolled down my cheek as the blueness of the sky became the blueness of my lips .I opened my eyes for a final time , in a blurry dream of paradise , then all was dark .
I awoke with dizziness and confusion , the paradise I had dreamed was reality . I wondered how I got here , still feeling weak and dazed .I slowly lifted my body into a sitting position and as my sight became clearer , I soon realised that paradise was just a garden with flowers .It was a miracle that amongst the ruins and desolation a single piece of paradise had survived .
All of a sudden my attention to the garden was distracted by the sound of a voice , ''Hello'' she called out . In the distance I could see the figure of a women and with hesitation she slowly started to near .''Hello'' she said again , ''don't try to speak , save your strength''! she then explained .''You are very weak , you almost died , I had to use all my strength to drag you here '' , she further explained . ''Here, eat this apple'' she insisted . Was I dreaming , was I dead , could this be real ,the confusion that ran through my mind . The taste , the sweetness , the juiciness, just one bite and I knew this was reality .
I ate the apple slowly , savouring every bite when suddenly she said , '' My name is Eve''! I almost choked on the apple in shock of the irony because my name is Adam . I sat there in silence , pondering over the thought of Adam and Eve , everybody knew the story of Eden . I continued to eat the apple but for some reason it didn't taste so sweet anymore .''Here you go'' she said as she handed me some water . At this time I first saw clearly again , she was so beautiful . She had the face of an angel and a sparkle in her eyes that screamed out kindness .
''I am Adam'' I explained ! She instantly giggled and replied , '' you are joking right , you know my name is Eve''? ''Yes'' I answered , ''you couldn't have wrote this scenario ,'' I explained as we both smiled in humour .Jokingly I then said , ''shall we call this paradise Eden''? She smiled and said , '' I'll be right back'' , as she quickly hurried off into the distance .
I sat there gazing in the direction she went , worried she wasn't going to return . Those anxious moments of fear knowing I was still weak and needed help . Help was at my finger tips and she walked away . A while passed by and I became more and more anxious waiting for her return . Suddenly I heard a voice but it came from a different direction . I slowly turned my head and to my amazement there stood a child . Walking behind the child was the women who had helped me earlier and in her hand she was carrying a basket . I felt so relieved she had returned and wondered how they'd managed to survive all this time after the impact alone .
''Hello again'' she said . ''Here is some food and drink for you '' she explained . ''We have to go now before the others find us '' , she explained with a feared expression . Quickly they left again. I shouted ''wait'' but it was to no prevail . I looked around as they vanished into the distance , an eerie chill running down my spine as I wondered what she meant by the others .
As night time approached I dragged myself and the basket over to a bush , my legs were still too weak to walk . The bush had an opening but it was blocked by brambles . I knew this was going to be a painful experience but I had no choice but to clear a path with my hands . I knew I needed a canopy for the night .
With skin torn hands I sat alone under the canopy before eventually I decided to look what was in the basket . The thought of the others had kept my mind occupied most of the day but now it was time to eat again and try to relax . I opened the lid on the basket to reveal several more apples and a can of something with no label . I thought just my luck , I have no means to open the can . I was appreciative of the women's help and hoped they'd return the next day .In the basket was also a container of water and a small blanket which I rolled up to use as a pillow to rest my head . I ate a couple of the apples and drank some water before darkness fell across the land . I lay down my head and closed my eyes , wishing for a brighter future .
I was just about to fall asleep when I was startled by a horrifying scream in the distance and I feared it was the women and child who had helped me earlier . Again I trembled in cowardice and curled up into a ball wishing it would all go away. In the direction of the scream I could see a lit torch and the moment became tense because it looked like the torch was getting closer . Curled up and fearing the worse I lay there gazing in silence until morning arrived and the torch faded into lightness .
Morning had arrived and I was relieved the lit torch getting closer was just my imaginations but I couldn't help feeling worried about the women and child . Were these people with the lit torch the others she had previously mentioned the day before ? I was so tired from the lack of sleep and strength , dreading the day I closed my eyes and went to sleep .
''Hey mister, hey mister , wake up we have to go '' a child's voice cried out and woke me up . I noticed it was the child from the day before and in a groggy voice I asked him ,''where is Eve'' ? . The child answered and said, ''my mother is busy right now and she sent me to fetch you but we must hurry now before the others arrive and find us ''. I was elated they were both safe but not over ecstatic because everything was still confusing .
I was still feeling weak but felt more refreshed from the sleep and vitalised from the food , so slowly with the aid of a stick for a crutch , I forced myself to stand up . As I stood I could feel my legs were a bit wobbly and the boy sensed I needed help . He said , ''lean on me too I will help you'' . With gratitude for his help we started to slowly walk to where he was taking me although my walking was more of a hobble .
After a while of hobbling , I looked back and I could see I was leaving paradise behind and hoped I wasn't going to regret leaving . Following the garden path that lead away from the paradise , I expected to see an house but all I saw was the pile of rubble that was once a house of grandeur . At this moment we stopped for a rest because my legs were tiring already and I thought to myself , money can't buy happiness right now .
Whilst I was stopped , it seemed like the perfect opportunity to ask the child what he means by the others . I turned to him and smiled before I asked him , ''whom are the others''? He briefly paused before he eventually replied , '' the others are meat eaters'',! Last nights memories of the horrifying scream flashed back before my eyes as the realism sunk in of what he meant by meat eaters .
Surviving alone and secluded before , the thought never crossed my mind that people may turn to cannibalism for survival . At this moment something clicked and I knew it was likely I was going have to fight for my survival against other people because my fear of getting eaten is far greater than the fear to fight back .
With adrenaline pumping I said to the child , ''come on , lets move again and hurry up the pace''. Gripping my teethe I hurried along with the aid of the makeshift crutch and the boy . Time went by and the twilight red sky seemed calming as we approached a rocky area .
''We're here'' explained the boy as he removed some bracken revealing a small cave entrance . I entered the cave where I met Eve again and on meeting her she said , '' I am sorry I couldn't drag you any further yesterday I was exhausted too''. At this stage I felt safe and the adrenaline wore off ,darkness then fell into my mind as I collapsed to the cave floor from exhaustion.
I awoke the next morning to the smell of cooked meat and Eve held out a plate of this meat and said , ''eat this, you need the energy''. I looked at her with a concerning glance before she said , ''it's alright , Timmy found a Duck today '' . I wolfed down the meat so fast , I hadn't ate any meat in a long time and I really needed this to gain some strength back .
As I finished the last bite , I noticed Eve and the boy whom I now know as Timmy , were not eating anything . I asked Eve and Timmy where was their food ? Eve smiled with glazed eyes and said , ''there wasn't enough for all of us''! . I instantly felt sick , feeling anxious and empathy for the people who had given me their last food . I placed my face in my hands and stared into the darkness in disbelief, as if bowing to God and asking for forgiveness .
About ten minutes passed by and the silence was deafening . At this point I knew , it wasn't them helping me , they needed to help me for me to help them . Eve started to cry and Timmy started to comfort her saying , '' it's ok mum , we'll think of something'' .
Before the impact , I was a scientist but the traumatic experience of the impact had left me weak minded . I knew I had to find myself again and use the knowledge I possessed to help Eve, Timmy and myself to survive . I was never a fighter , always a thinker but now was the time to fight for survival and think fast .
We all knew the impact was coming and I was on my way to a safe point before countries panicked and went to war . The missiles fell and scorched the Earth before the meteor hit the Pacific Ocean , sending massive Tsunami's around the globe wiping out most of what was left . Earthquakes followed and armies collapsed ,the last of the soldiers killed fighting for a pointless cause . The wealthy thought they were safe hiding in underground bunkers but were crushed by cave ins and drowned in flooded tunnels . Those what were left having their own armies turn against them .
''Are you alright you look bewildered'' said Eve. I replied , ''sorry I was just thinking about the past'' . I then pulled myself together and asked Eve ''where have you been getting provisions from''? Eve replied , '' I've scavenged all the local area and each day I have to travel further but it is becoming more and more dangerous because of the others''! ''Arr yes , Timmy told me about the meat eaters'', I replied with disapproving expression .
I paused for a moment in thought then said , ''Ok Eve , there is nothing back in the direction I came from either , all the wild life has been eaten and I have had to survive on foliage, worms and insects . We can't stay here so we need to gather up a few bits and go''. I had noticed that Eve had done some useful scavenging and there was a few things lying around the cave we could use . Eve replied ''but what about the meat eaters , they are everywhere in this area''? . I thought again for a moment and answered , ''don't worry we will move in the dark and hide in the day , fast and quiet until we find safety . If there is a paradise here then we can have hope in there being other paradises that survived ''.
Timmy stayed quiet , I could see a worried look of expression so I reassured him , ''come on Timmy , you ain't no quitter pal ''. Timmy then stood up , didn't say a word and started to gather a few things together . Eve slowly got use to the idea of leaving the safety of the hidden cave in hope of finding a better place .
In the cave was a torn piece of a map and luckily this map showed some of the local area . I instantly noticed a valley and a river but could not see where the river went because that part was missing . The river seemed like an ideal escape if we could bound some logs together with the pieces of rope from the cave to make a raft , then float away to freedom .
However , the valley must of been flooded by the Tsunamis so there was an uncertainty whether the area was passable or the river had become dammed by debris now the water had receded . It was a gamble I was willing to take as other routes looked impassable because of cliffs or dense forestry . The only other option was in the direction of where I'd seen the lit torch but at this time that idea would only lead us to being the dinner .
I explained my plan to Eve and Timmy , they both agreed the valley and the river was the best option . Nigh time arrived , we gathered the bits we had put into some women's handbags and set off quietly in the direction of the Valley using a distant ridge landmark to guide our way in the dark .
After a few hours of tough going we were all feeling fatigued and none of us had noticed that we had started to drop down into the valley and could no longer see the landmark that had guided us . We were now lost in the dark , no way back , we could only move forward and hope we'd find the river .
Suddenly a distance ahead of us , we could see a lit torch , I quickly whispered to Eve and Timmy , ''shhhh, get down on the ground'' . I then continued to whisper and said , '' follow me , crawl , keep low and quiet''. We scurried along the ground like scared Rabbits , knowing the meat eaters were near by .
We crawled for what seemed forever until eventually we couldn't crawl no more . We had gained some distance on the meat eaters and no longer could see the lit torch . The rain started to pour to add insult to injury so we all huddled together with our backs to a tree stump to try stay dry and warm. Timmy whispered to me , '' I don't think this was a good idea after all ''. I was too tired to respond and closed my eyes to sleep .
The rain stopped and Eve spoke grabbing my attention , ''I can hear running water'' she explained . I listened carefully as what trees were left were still dripping rain drops but in the distance I too could here running water . ''Yes'' I cried out forgetting to be quiet .
Oh no what have I just done as in the distance we saw several lit torches then heading our direction . They'd heard my cry , fear entered my heart , beating faster than life . ''Quick , quick'', Timmy shouted jumping to his feet , ''lets go'' . Timmy then ran off in the direction of the river . ''Wait for me'' shouted Eve but Timmy was already gone in panic not realising Eve was not right behind him . I quickly got up and took Eve by the hand , again the adrenaline taking over . We quickly followed Timmy's direction and headed towards the river closely followed by the meat eater pack . Eve was really tired and exhausted , she had given me her last food and she hadn't eaten for days . I dragged her by the hand as fast I could , hoping for a miracle .
As we neared the river , there was debris everywhere and I began to lose hope as our escape came to a stand still . We were feet away from the river and there was no signs of Timmy , we had lost him in the dark . The meat eaters were closing in on us , surely this was the end . We couldn't go backwards and we couldn't go forwards , sideways was to dense in debris . Eve screamed out , ''Timmy where are you'' , by this time there was no point in being quiet because the meat eaters were yards away .
I picked up a log to use as a weapon to defend ourselves when suddenly the river embankment collapsed into the flooded river . Eve screamed in fear as we both were swallowed by the collapse into the flooded river . I gasped for breathe in shock as I quickly became succumbed by the current . I could hear Eve's call for help as the raging river washed us both downstream but I could not see her in the dark . I struggled to keep my head above water , I had already swallowed a lot of water , I had to act fast or drown in the raging river . I went under again , I thought it was over and reached out hoping for help .Blinded underwater I kicked my legs with all the strength I had left when above I felt my hand touch a tree trunk that was flowing with the current . I quickly grasped for the trunk and was able to put my arms over it . Slumped on the trunk I continuing to travel downstream breathless and tired . I arrived at a bend in the river and the tree trunk I was holding on for my life luckily drifted into slack water and with a last desperate kicks of my legs I managed to make it back to land .
I crawled out of the river and coughed , choking and spitting out the water I had swallowed . I then lay on my back , totally exhausted and lacking the will to move . I knew I had travelled some distance so for now was safe from the meat eater pack that were chasing us . I started to cry , thinking the worse had happened to Eve and Timmy . I had already become quite attached to them both because before they rescued me , I felt so lonely on my own .
I arose the next morning to welcoming sunshine but this didn't warm my heart because Eve and Timmy were still missing . I hoped that some how Eve had managed to pull herself out of the river and hoped Timmy had outrun the meat eaters . I felt so alone again and in the moment of sadness , considered throwing myself back in the river .
Days went by and I was back to surviving on my own , eating worms and insects . I hadn't moved far from where I crawled out of the river , I had given up . This was it , the breaking point , I stepped towards the rivers edge and stood gazing at my own faded reflection . I couldn't go on no more . I gave a huge sigh , anxious and afraid but knowing my hope was lost . I blamed the death of Eve and Timmy on myself because it was my hair brain plan . We should of stayed hidden in the cave and Eve and Timmy would still be alive . They could of ate insects and worms too .
I took a deep breathe , then seconds before I was going to jump into the river , in the corner of my eye I glimpsed another faded reflection . Somebody was standing behind me . I froze , I didn't know whether the person was a meat eater or a friendly . I thought about jumping in to escape , my will to live had returned . ''Are you alright '' asked a deep male voice . I slowly turned towards him feeling more assured it wasn't a meat eater and to my surprise it was a fireman dressed in full uniform .
I stayed quiet and just gazed at his uniform recalling life before the disaster . ''Are you Adam''? he asked . In the middle of nowhere and some guy is asking about me by name , what are the chances of that I thought to myself. ''Hmmmm, yes I am named Adam'', I replied . ''She said you was a scientist before the disaster , can you help us?'' he asked . I now became really confused ''Who's she''? I asked .
He was just about to answer when I started to shake , the world started to spin and my vision became blurred , again I collapsed to the ground into unconsciousness . Moments later I opened my eyes again and although still dazed I could see the firemen had been joined by two other people . These people weren't wearing a fireman's uniform , one was wearing a worn out suit and the other was wearing jogging clothes . I realised at this point that there must be more survivors than I first thought .
The surprise of seeing three people made me forget my previous question and I asked them ''who are you''? The man in the worn out suit replied in a grumpy voice , ''we are a group of survivors whom are trying to rebuild some sort of order and civilisation''. I couldn't believe what I was hearing , perhaps my thoughts on another paradise were true . ''Can you walk '' ?asked the man wearing the jogging clothes . ''We can't afford to take in new people'' said the man in the worn out suit . I could tell he was getting irate , his tone of voice had become more aggressive towards me .
The three went quiet for a while before the fireman explained , '' we were sent to search for him so we have to take him back''. The men seemed to then argue amongst themselves before finally the man in the worn out suit replied , ''Ok , you can come with us but you had better be worth it '' . I pondered over the situation totally forgetting the fireman knew I was a scientist . I was too weak to stand there having a debate so slowly started to walk with them . The man in the jogging clothes could see I was struggling and offered to give me support . I placed an arm around his shoulder and thanked him for being considerate .

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2024
Visit site

My eye lids flickered and I could see what looked like a room . Finally they opened fully and I could see it was a room and to my delight I was lying in a bed. I soon realised I must of blacked out again and vaguely remembered a fireman . I lifted my aching head so I could see through a nearby window and noticed they'd brought me to some sort of summer camp . The buildings and the building I was in made of wood . I should of realised by the bed as it one of those springy type beds with a wafer thin mattress .
I looked around the room and lost in the moment could pretend the reality outside was just a bad nightmare . On a small shelf I noticed a few stale biscuits and a plastic cup of what looked like orange cordial , I guessed this was for me . I slowly got out of the bed and made my way over to the shelf and at that moment the stale biscuit was the best biscuit I had ever tasted in my life and the orange cordial tasted like liquid heaven .
I made my way back to the bed and just slumped into seating position . I looked at the door and wondered what I would find outside . Reluctant to open the door I listened and could hear several male voices . I calculated they weren't meat eaters because I wouldn't be in a bed ,I'd be in the stew pot instead .
I was about to take another look through the window when the door promptly swung open and in the door way stood a familiar face , I couldn't believe my eyes and was so happy she'd survived . ''Hello Sarah'' I said in a cheerful voice , glad to see a familiar face .
Dr Sarah Pilmaton use to work in the same building as me a long time ago and we use to enjoy our coffee mornings together in the campus café . Sarah was a psychology professor and what she didn't know about psychology , wasn't worth knowing .
Sarah quickly stepped into the room and then closed the door behind her . She came over to me and sat next to me on the bed . ''Adam'' she said quietly , ''we're in trouble'' ! I stared directly in her in eyes and knew Sarah wasn't one to joke around so I knew this was serious .
''I had to tell them you are scientist and you could help them , I am sorry '' she explained . At that moment Sarah started to cry so I put my arm around in comfort .''We are safe'' here I explained , ''these people aren't meat eaters'' I mumbled as I thought .
''No Adam , you don't understand , all the men have gone crazy'' she said with a fearing expression on her face . ''What do you mean'' I asked . ''Well, hmm , I have had to use all my skills to convince them I am useful too ''she answered hastily . ''I'm not following you here , are you saying if you are not useful they kill you or something''? The door flung open and Sarah looked shocked .
In the doorway stood the fireman , a tower of a man that I vaguely remembered from before . ''Everything alright Sarah'' he said in a calm serious voice . ''Yes , his pulse is ok now '' replied Sarah . At this moment I knew Sarah was pretending to be a doctor of medicine rather than psychology. I looked towards the fireman and started to realise there was something sinister happening at this camp .
The fireman left the doorway as if stamping his feet , leaving the door open behind him . I could see through the opening of the doorway men of different looking ethnicity walking back and forth going about their business carrying things they have scavenged . ''Wait a minute'' I said , ''how did you know where to find me''? I asked with a confused expression .
''A couple of days ago they brought in a women they had found on the river bank and she said her name was Eve'' she answered. ''What , Eve's alive '', I replied with glee . ''Yes , she told me there was others , her son and you . Once she mentioned the name Adam and you were a scientist , I sensed it was you so used my skills to get them to come look for you ''.
''Great , where is she ? I want to see her '' I said in anticipation . ''You can't see her Adam , this is what I was trying to tell you , the men have gone crazy'' she replied . ''In what way have they gone crazy ''? I asked concerningly . ''I am so sorry Adam , they have her locked in the breeding bunk with the other women and there is even younger girls. They scavenge for women Adam for breeding '' she replied with a tear in her eye .

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2024
Visit site

Timmy ran as fast he could , tired and wet he had took a wrong turn that lead him parallel down the river . Out of breathe he stopped and turned to see Eve and Adam weren't there, thinking they were closely following . Timmy was scared , this was the first time he'd been without Eve since before the disaster . ''Mummmmm'' he called out in a shakey voice , fearing the meat eaters had captured Adam and Eve .
Timmy could see the lit torches in the distance and knew he was now safe , he was use to scavenging and avoiding the meat eaters with his nimble skills . ''Where are they''? Timmy muttered to himself , I need to find them''. Timmy knew it was no use trying to find them in the dark and decided to get some rest so crawled under a bush and went to sleep .
I awoke the next morning bright and early and my mum and Adam were still nowhere to be seen . I knew I had to find them so started to search and thought my best option was to find the river . I made my way to the rivers edge and there was no sign of my mum or Adam so I thought to myself I will head down stream because that was the original plan .
I had walked for ages , making my way through thick and thin debris when suddenly I heard a quiet moan which sounded like my mum . I quickly made my way towards the moan but as I got close , I heard a man's voice which wasn't Adam ,so I paused in caution . I slowly crept towards the voice and I could see my mum lying on the ground and a man dressed in a fireman's uniform was standing over her . In the moment I was terrified , the meat eaters had got my mum .
I quickly took cover so he wouldn't see me ,then two more men appeared from behind some debris . One was wearing a suit and the other was wearing jogging clothes . The one with the suit seemed to be their leader as he said , '' she will do , drag her to the camp'' .
I couldn't let the meat eaters eat my mum , what was I going to do ? They started to drag my mum off so I followed closely as they ascended up the valley track . After a while they reached a clearing and from the distance I could see some buildings . The clearing was in a cove of a rock face , I guess that is why it survived the disaster and war .
I was scared , hungry and alone , I really needed my mum . Trembling I moved closer and I could see groups of men walking around the camp doing things . There were no women or children that I could see and I imagined their gruesome end . As I moved closer I saw that they had taken my mum into one of the buildings , then left locking the door behind them . I had to try and do something .
As night time came I stealthily manoeuvred myself even closer , hiding behind one of the buildings when suddenly I heard a women's scream , then she moaned and groaned in pain for a few a seconds before all went quiet . I quickly retreated with tears in my eyes because I knew they had just eaten her .
A few hours of darkness had passed , it was a cold night and I lay on the ground watching the camp from a distance . In the darkness of the valley I could see a lit torch , the meat eaters were making their way back to camp. I watched as they approached , four had returned and I could see they had scavenged some items . As they entered the camp they were met by the man I had seen earlier wearing a suit . It was was difficult to see them clearly but there was just enough light to see the fireman brought a young boy out from one of the buildings . The four returning meat eaters passed over their finds to the man in the suit and then they left with the young boy .
I am only twelve but he was only about six, I felt so helpless that I was not big and strong enough to save him . I made my way back into the valley to find somewhere to sleep for the rest of the night because I didn't want to be the next meal .

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2024
Visit site

I'd gone to heaven , the river had ended my life and I was surrounded by angels . Eve regained consciousness and realised she was in a building surrounded by other women and girls . She had no recollection of how she got there but felt warm hearted to see other women after such a long time .
I felt so exhausted and delirious , my palms were sweaty and I had a fever . I looked around the room and was astonished at how much stockpile they had , all different sorts of cans of fruit and vegetables . They even had chocolate and crisps to my surprise.
''Hi'', said one of the women , ''my name is Sarah'' she explained . I replied in a weiry voice , ''I'm Eve'' . ''Drink this it will make you feel better'' said Sarah in a demanding voice . I was real thirsty so quickly took the glass from her and gulped down what was lemonade . ''Thanks'' I said in gratitude then asked if they'd found my son and explained all about Adam .
I was covered in bruises and scratches , aching all over , I felt like I had been dragged through a mangle but I knew I had to find Timmy . I explained , ''I have to go , I have to find my boy '' , but as I tried to stand up , I realised my feet were handcuffed together . ''Rest you have a fever '', said Sarah , ''The men will find Timmy alright'' she explained . ''Why are my feet cuffed together ? '' I demanded to know . ''We have to trust you first Eve,'' answered one of the other women .

Last edited: