Do you think this out of the box solution can stop the pandemic in 14 days?

Mar 23, 2020
I am a long time lurker on the forums, this is my first post, so be kind!

I came across this very interesting idea to deal with the pandemic, though I am not sure if this can be implemented practically.

So basically the guy is saying that if we do a coordinated 14 days global lockdown( all nations, entire humanity together), then the pandemic can potentially end in 14 days instead of going on for months and months. as those infected will be healed, or maybe die, and there will be minimal new cases.

The theory sounds good though, but medical professionals might be able to throw more light on this.

You can view the original idea here -
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IeIzU1j6IM

Feb 10, 2020
100% makes sense to slow this down on a global scale. But you currently have people all over the globe still not taking it seriously.. The Uk and India will have the highest numbers in four weeks

Mar 23, 2020
Yes, people are just taking it so casually. I wonder why they dont forsee what it will be just a few weeks?

In Australia, people were flocking to bondi beach. In US, youngsters are partying into spring break! No one wants to take responsibility

Mar 6, 2020
It would be nice to have a lockdown like this, but impractical, because people would disobey and some people may not have enough food and money to get food to tide them over until the lockdown is over.

Mar 25, 2020
A full global lockdown for a few weeks is guaranteed to eliminate the virus (because no one is contagious a few weeks after they're infected), but you need governments to coordinate and enforce, and the public to comply. People would need to stay in their homes, except for provision of essentials like food and medical care for those who really need it. The sooner the lockdown, the sooner the problem would be solved, and the lower the economic impact. Unfortunately, partial and intermittent lockdowns over long periods of time seem to be where we're headed, which isn't as a good a solution, because it allows the virus to continue to spread.

Mar 23, 2020
I am a long time lurker on the forums, this is my first post, so be kind!

I came across this very interesting idea to deal with the pandemic, though I am not sure if this can be implemented practically.

So basically the guy is saying that if we do a coordinated 14 days global lockdown( all nations, entire humanity together), then the pandemic can potentially end in 14 days instead of going on for months and months. as those infected will be healed, or maybe die, and there will be minimal new cases.

The theory sounds good though, but medical professionals might be able to throw more light on this.

You can view the original idea here -
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IeIzU1j6IM

Mar 23, 2020
I think it has the potential to stop the spread and consequent new cases, but I can't even get my little community to agree that the only way is the scientific method. There is no miracle. We can't set a date that it will end. But we could all donate 2 weeks; if not to save ourselves, to save someone else. We can't even get the US to listen to the WHO much less get the UN to all agree. I'm already into week3 and I'll keep on as long as it takes.

Mar 23, 2020
People are still taking this pandemic so casually. US wants to reopen by easter. No wonder the cases there are skyrocketing
Yes....I live in the southern US and it's about to get really bad here. I've started doing my grocery shopping at 9 at night and I'm thankful my pharmacy has a drive through window. At least my governor closed schools early on and is limiting people congregating. But I think the whole country (and ideally the world as one contributor proposed) should go into lockdown now.

Reactions: Lee_Bo
Mar 23, 2020
Yes....I live in the southern US and it's about to get really bad here. I've started doing my grocery shopping at 9 at night and I'm thankful my pharmacy has a drive through window. At least my governor closed schools early on and is limiting people congregating. But I think the whole country (and ideally the world as one contributor proposed) should go into lockdown now. Oh, it was your proposal....Mea culpa.

Mar 30, 2020
www.imore.com
Yes....I live in the southern US and it's about to get really bad here. I've started doing my grocery shopping at 9 at night and I'm thankful my pharmacy has a drive through window. At least my governor closed schools early on and is limiting people congregating. But I think the whole country (and ideally the world as one contributor proposed) should go into lockdown now.
Another southern US person here. State governor has closed public schools for the rest of the school year. Law enforcement authorized to disperse groups of "three or more people in an attempt to slow the spread of the coronavirus." (source https://www.abccolumbia.com/2020/03/23/sc-governor-new-executive-order-allows-law-enforcement-to-disperse-groups-of-3-or-more/)

had to visit the grocery store over the weekend for some supplies and drove past Lowes on the way home. I could not believe the parking lot was overflowing and people all over the place.

Mar 23, 2020
Another southern US person here. State governor has closed public schools for the rest of the school year. Law enforcement authorized to disperse groups of "three or more people in an attempt to slow the spread of the coronavirus." (source https://www.abccolumbia.com/2020/03/23/sc-governor-new-executive-order-allows-law-enforcement-to-disperse-groups-of-3-or-more/)

had to visit the grocery store over the weekend for some supplies and drove past Lowes on the way home. I could not believe the parking lot was overflowing and people all over the place.
I drove past a local grocery chain I frequent on my way home last Thurs. and the parking lot was so full I could not have found a place to park. It was about 4PM when I passed. I had picked up some grocery items including shelf stable milk from a Dollar Tree (great source, btw). Not a lot of people at the DT; all at the grocery chain I guess. I'll go to the grocery chain one county over at 9PM. I'm getting a store of frozen vegetables since they are closer to fresh. Love dried beans and grains (I'm a country girl). And don't forget the cornbread. Happy hunting, y'all.

Mar 31, 2020
The idea of isolation is not to get rid of the virus but to stop the exponential rise of the spread. It will not outright destroy the virus. Hospital beds, doctors and nurses are a limited source and without a cure those beds; similar to the events during the SARS outbreak, will overfill. This just worsens the spread. The secondary reason is preventing a higher death toll before the vaccination is found for those who are susceptable to the virus like elderly and people that have heart conditions. It's also interesting that euro-Asian countries are the most affected while in south american and african genomes, it seems to have a slower development pace

ASK THE COMMUNITY