Do you think this out of the box solution can stop the pandemic in 14 days?

Mar 23, 2020
Visit site
I am a long time lurker on the forums, this is my first post, so be kind!

I came across this very interesting idea to deal with the pandemic, though I am not sure if this can be implemented practically.

So basically the guy is saying that if we do a coordinated 14 days global lockdown( all nations, entire humanity together), then the pandemic can potentially end in 14 days instead of going on for months and months. as those infected will be healed, or maybe die, and there will be minimal new cases.

The theory sounds good though, but medical professionals might be able to throw more light on this.

You can view the original idea here -
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IeIzU1j6IM

Feb 10, 2020
Visit site
100% makes sense to slow this down on a global scale. But you currently have people all over the globe still not taking it seriously.. The Uk and India will have the highest numbers in four weeks

Mar 23, 2020
Visit site
Yes, people are just taking it so casually. I wonder why they dont forsee what it will be just a few weeks?

In Australia, people were flocking to bondi beach. In US, youngsters are partying into spring break! No one wants to take responsibility

Mar 6, 2020
Visit site
It would be nice to have a lockdown like this, but impractical, because people would disobey and some people may not have enough food and money to get food to tide them over until the lockdown is over.

Mar 25, 2020
Visit site
A full global lockdown for a few weeks is guaranteed to eliminate the virus (because no one is contagious a few weeks after they're infected), but you need governments to coordinate and enforce, and the public to comply. People would need to stay in their homes, except for provision of essentials like food and medical care for those who really need it. The sooner the lockdown, the sooner the problem would be solved, and the lower the economic impact. Unfortunately, partial and intermittent lockdowns over long periods of time seem to be where we're headed, which isn't as a good a solution, because it allows the virus to continue to spread.

Mar 23, 2020
Visit site
I am a long time lurker on the forums, this is my first post, so be kind!

I came across this very interesting idea to deal with the pandemic, though I am not sure if this can be implemented practically.

So basically the guy is saying that if we do a coordinated 14 days global lockdown( all nations, entire humanity together), then the pandemic can potentially end in 14 days instead of going on for months and months. as those infected will be healed, or maybe die, and there will be minimal new cases.

The theory sounds good though, but medical professionals might be able to throw more light on this.

You can view the original idea here -
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IeIzU1j6IM

Mar 23, 2020
Visit site
I think it has the potential to stop the spread and consequent new cases, but I can't even get my little community to agree that the only way is the scientific method. There is no miracle. We can't set a date that it will end. But we could all donate 2 weeks; if not to save ourselves, to save someone else. We can't even get the US to listen to the WHO much less get the UN to all agree. I'm already into week3 and I'll keep on as long as it takes.

Mar 23, 2020
Visit site
People are still taking this pandemic so casually. US wants to reopen by easter. No wonder the cases there are skyrocketing
Yes....I live in the southern US and it's about to get really bad here. I've started doing my grocery shopping at 9 at night and I'm thankful my pharmacy has a drive through window. At least my governor closed schools early on and is limiting people congregating. But I think the whole country (and ideally the world as one contributor proposed) should go into lockdown now.

Reactions: Lee_Bo
Mar 23, 2020
Visit site
Yes....I live in the southern US and it's about to get really bad here. I've started doing my grocery shopping at 9 at night and I'm thankful my pharmacy has a drive through window. At least my governor closed schools early on and is limiting people congregating. But I think the whole country (and ideally the world as one contributor proposed) should go into lockdown now. Oh, it was your proposal....Mea culpa.

Mar 30, 2020
www.imore.com
Yes....I live in the southern US and it's about to get really bad here. I've started doing my grocery shopping at 9 at night and I'm thankful my pharmacy has a drive through window. At least my governor closed schools early on and is limiting people congregating. But I think the whole country (and ideally the world as one contributor proposed) should go into lockdown now.

Another southern US person here. State governor has closed public schools for the rest of the school year. Law enforcement authorized to disperse groups of "three or more people in an attempt to slow the spread of the coronavirus." (source https://www.abccolumbia.com/2020/03...-enforcement-to-disperse-groups-of-3-or-more/)

had to visit the grocery store over the weekend for some supplies and drove past Lowes on the way home. I could not believe the parking lot was overflowing and people all over the place.

Mar 23, 2020
Visit site
Another southern US person here. State governor has closed public schools for the rest of the school year. Law enforcement authorized to disperse groups of "three or more people in an attempt to slow the spread of the coronavirus." (source https://www.abccolumbia.com/2020/03...-enforcement-to-disperse-groups-of-3-or-more/)

had to visit the grocery store over the weekend for some supplies and drove past Lowes on the way home. I could not believe the parking lot was overflowing and people all over the place.
I drove past a local grocery chain I frequent on my way home last Thurs. and the parking lot was so full I could not have found a place to park. It was about 4PM when I passed. I had picked up some grocery items including shelf stable milk from a Dollar Tree (great source, btw). Not a lot of people at the DT; all at the grocery chain I guess. I'll go to the grocery chain one county over at 9PM. I'm getting a store of frozen vegetables since they are closer to fresh. Love dried beans and grains (I'm a country girl). And don't forget the cornbread. Happy hunting, y'all.

Mar 31, 2020
Visit site
The idea of isolation is not to get rid of the virus but to stop the exponential rise of the spread. It will not outright destroy the virus. Hospital beds, doctors and nurses are a limited source and without a cure those beds; similar to the events during the SARS outbreak, will overfill. This just worsens the spread. The secondary reason is preventing a higher death toll before the vaccination is found for those who are susceptable to the virus like elderly and people that have heart conditions. It's also interesting that euro-Asian countries are the most affected while in south american and african genomes, it seems to have a slower development pace

Reactions: RubyLee
Mar 23, 2020
Visit site
I wonder if the US will ever go into lockdown. World wide cases are 1.4 Million +.

It feels like the virus is here to stay. I wish they had implemented global lock-down earlier, instead of waiting forever. Now the window is fast closing

Apr 8, 2020
Visit site
I'm afraid US economy will collapse if Trump implements the global lockdown. The aftermath of the economic crisis can be even more destructive than Сoronavirus outbreak.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 6, 2020
Visit site
This site and the main stream media has a lot of articles claiming scientific and analyse topics such as why the UK, Italy have high death rate but China has much much lower death rate.

Yet most of them are partial, biased, and far from the truth.

Among these one key characteristics of the writing is: Afraid to praise China

Equally to this - afraid to criticize the NHS, the UK, the Western Countries.

Constructive criticism is what the scientific community is trained to do and it does this everyday. This is its job and how it makes a living.

If this scientific community has lost the mind and become part and accomplice of the Media’s “Fake News” willingly, not only this country will be lost in the political referendum, the Brexit, in Corona-virus, but its final glorious heritage – and its scientific mind.

To answer one of the key questions around the internet, why China has so low death rate, or so high recover rate?

I thought the answer is almost black and white.

But I soon realized that with a biased and prejudiced mind, it is so easy for someone to believe in their own lies now.

People listed so many theories, astonishingly scientists listed many unprovable conspiracy theries, such as the link to 5G to the Virus.

Yet, the most obvious reason is being brushed away – the NHS of the UK, and the medical system in Italy and Spain and the US.

Your community is pointing figure quickly to others in particularly to China, but never look at yourself and find where the problem is?

I can only assume from years living with the community and the society it is

- your biased mind prevents you from seeing the truth

- your are losing your integrity and capacity to introspect

- you start to believe in the lies you made yourself

I only give some key reasons in this limited space to the question: Why China has so low death rate, and so high recover rate?

1. The health care system in China is much more capable to treat every single person identified with the virus, young or old, mild or serious... This is supported by the low death rate in Germany. Germany has very advanced medical care system and better capacity comparing to that in Italy and Spain and the UK. This is the same in China (particularly after Wuhan, the whole country’s figure) and S. Korea, adequate medical care, capacity and well equipped doctors and hospitals are the key to reduce death rate as this illness is not highly fatal. Without this the death rate would be unable to reduce. You are blind that you could not see these figures and ask a question about this? It is a shame to be called scientist if you can fail to see this, in particular Germany’s figure and not be able to link this to its medical capacity. With good medical care, the death rate should be between 2-3% according to the forecast of Chinese medical authority at the beginning stage of the pandemic and the figures we seen in Whole China, S. Korea, Germany, are consistent to this forecast. Without the capacity, the forecasted death rate would be over 10% and the case that in Italy, Spain, the UK is proving this, particularly with the high numbers of elder people. However, do NOT forget that in China, every person would be hospitalized if they are identified as positive, no matter mild or serious, young or old, every person would be counted. This is not like that in Italy, Spain, and the UK, only those who are serious, requested and reported that are tested. According to this analysis, the real death rate might be lower in these countries, but the actual number of being effected, and the absolute number of death is very high. Also do NOT forget that the definition of Death by Corona-virus is not the same in China and for example in the UK. In the UK, death due to Corona-virus are those who are diagnosed as carrying the virus, but since the UK using “herd immunity” approach, we don’t know how many of those un-diagnosed death are actually death due to Corona-virus as well.

2. China provides much more intensive, widespread, personal care and treatment. It treats every single person identified with the virus; it does not let the mild ones staying at home self-isolating. It requests all identified patients to be hospitalized and treated. There is no such thing as UK's "herd immunity". Every life is important, every identifiable source of virus needs to be checked and the person quarantined and treated.

3. Chinese hospitals are much better equipped with masks, inhaling machines, oxygen machines, etc. and the ratio of doctors to patients is much higher than that in Italy, the UK, the US. You cannot argue but sigh about this as China is benefiting from its "factory of the world" status and working to its full capacity to manufacture enough equipment to support the war on virus.

4. There is one secret weapon that the Western medicals and the society do not accept or turn its blind eyes to it. The vast resources and knowledge base of the Chinese herbal treatment. Most of the medicines are non-invasive and highly effective than what the Western People could imagine. As there is no cure to the virus, the quick reaction of the Chinese doctors enabled them to quickly identify the best way to treat the patients using Chinese herbal medicines. All patients are given herbal medicines when the illness started to show syndromes. These medicines are most effective when the illness are at the beginning stage or incubation period. The medicines do not kill the virus but they build up the body’s own ability to combat the virus attack. The effectiveness of these medicines are empirically tested and the results are robust and highly reliable and this should thank to the large number of sample size in China. Many types of herbal medicines are available. But one or two are proved particularly effective and are short of stock in the Chinese market.

5. And finally, the Chinese doctors are much more efficient, empirical and factual in their thinking and problems solving (to be honest, this is quite true at the societal level). China is becoming the biggest economy in the world in the last 20 years time out of nothing is not without a good reason if you are curious enough and want to find out. This is why Corona-virus was first identified by Chinese doctors in December 2019 (please do not give the nursery kids' logic that first identified = originated) even though it is highly likely that the virus had been with us long before that time. Many of us (including myself) had very similar syndromes before the Christmas, but we did not know or were not tested. No one even thought this could be a new virus in the UK or US or even they did no one reported. For this, we have to salute to the Chinese who had already suspected and investigated in November and December 2019 before the 1st reported social media release. It took a month to identify and notified the whole country and managed to calm the people in Wuhan and the whole China Not Panicking Not mass migrating during China’s business time. Somehow the virus was first identified by the Chinese, somehow the death rate is extremely low in China, somehow the new cases disappeared in China, somehow the recover rate is extremely high, somehow China was so peaceful and there was no Panic shopping or similar incidence, ........

The underlying reasons are what the world needs to find out. As scientists, we or you are trained to find the reasons and see the patterns, and speak the truth.

If you cannot see or speak the truth, how on earth you are expecting the public to be resistant to the misleading information so prevalent in the media now.

All in all, Coronavirus is not the deadly disease.

The biased and twisted mind the mind that is reactionary to change to truth to self-reflection.

It is like the bubonic Plague has impact and helped the emergence of the Renaissance in Europe,will this Pandemic tell you the West, humble yourself, its time to self-reflect, cleanse out the prejudice in your mind that is blinding you, but have a major shift in your thought and worldview,

With a sound mind, a spirit of truth, the courage of speaking the truth, the Chinese is surely having the key to stay at the forefront of the War on Virus, at the top of the world economically and politically and having all the resources and the Blessing of a new Renaissance .
Look, you've posted this in 10 threads. Stick to one, please, because having to scroll through the same message 10 times to read the forum is annoying. You already made your own thread about this, please don't crosspost to all the other ones too.

Dec 22, 2019
Visit site
I watched the video and the gentleman's idea would be a start but getting all countries to agree would be akin to herding cats.
Covid-19 has an incubation period ranging from 1 day to 29 days according to the World Health Organisation(WHO) and the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) but this would just need some adjustment if this could be implemented.
The US was the last to impose lockdown and despite having the highest level of infection China's dubious reporting of cases notwithstanding), is among the first to consider relaxing some restrictions - see above for cat herding.
India's government invoked lockdown with a six hour warning leaving over a million migrant workers stranded, without transport as this was shut down, and without money as eveything was on immediate lockdown. Seeing a video of these poor, desperate and forgotten people was the saddest thing I have ever seen and were so obviously never even considered by their inhumane government until videos of them massing together for the very slim chance of transport back to their home villages.
Some middle eastern countries rely on migrant workers under the kafala system. These workers are forced to live together in cramped, unsanitary conditions with no rights to return home, change jobs or obtain simple things such as alternate accommodation without express permission from their "employers". Amnesty International has likened the kafal system to modern day slavery. These workers, these poor people have no option but to remain locked down in virtual prisons, some under close guard. I hope but I fear what may happen to these poor souls.

Just three areas which immediately sprang to mind.
Yes a lovely idea but we don't live in a lovely world my friend.