Question BHA and BHT

Dec 11, 2023
Visit site
When i have eaten food that has BHA and BHT, I get a stomach ache and headache for 3 to 4 days. No matter what I do the pain won't go away during those 3 to 4 days. I don't get constipated or have no problem passing gas. What if anything can be done if I was to come across some food that has these to preservatives?

CParsons

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 4, 2019
Visit site
When i have eaten food that has BHA and BHT, I get a stomach ache and headache for 3 to 4 days. No matter what I do the pain won't go away during those 3 to 4 days. I don't get constipated or have no problem passing gas. What if anything can be done if I was to come across some food that has these to preservatives?
Shop wiser, eat smarter.
  • Eat organic / fresh foods when possible
  • Buy from brands that don't use BHA and BHT.

Zed

Dec 20, 2023
Visit site
If you have narrowed these symtoms down to BHA and BHT, it sounds like you have a sensitivity to it, and while its in your system it seems to me, you will feel the effects. Have you tried increasing your intake of water during these headache periods to help flush your system?

This is an article on Hypersensitivity Reactions to Food Additives—Preservatives, Antioxidants, Flavor Enhancers from the National Library of Medicine. Avoidance of triggers seem to be best course of action.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9517530/

You want section 4.2.2 which is abotu BHA and BHT.