The 12 deadliest viruses on Earth

Page 2 - For the science geek in everyone, Live Science breaks down the stories behind the most interesting news and photos on the Internet.
Nov 17, 2020
Visit site
how was COVID made?
As far as I know it wasn't made but I'll give you a brief rundown on it's origins.
A researcher went to find some specimens of virus and bacteria in the cave bats in china. She noted that the nearby village have some strange flu like symptoms that occurred from one year to the next. She went back to the Wuhan virology lab to have the samples tested. Reports are she has disappeared. Chinese government have removed identity information from their Wuhan Virology lab website of her. Wuhan virology lab is only a few hundred yards from the Wuhan wet markets where they have said it originated back in the beginning of 2020. A few brief questions are provoked with this information. Why did it not spread beyond the village? Was it altered in the lab? What happened to the junior researcher? laowhy86 did a pretty good piece of videography in the beginning of the year explaining it's origins and the badly done coverup. Have fun checking out his work.

Nov 17, 2020
Visit site
Humans have been fighting viruses throughout history. Here are the 12 viruses that are the world's worst killers, based on their mortality rates, or the sheer numbers of people they have killed.

The 12 deadliest viruses on Earth : Read more
I notice Hendra doesn't make a mention. It has a 100% mortality rate with humans, horses, dogs, pretty much every mammal except the Fruit bats it is host to in Australia.

Oct 15, 2020
Visit site
Not to diminish the threat or the misery of this disease. I don't understand why the WHO estimate of deaths has been quoted as 35,000 to 55,000 for the last 40 years - while the world population went from approximately 4 billion to 8 billion, mostly in Africa and Asia where few dogs are vaccinated and most cases are seen.

Perhaps the most important reason is in fact cultural. In areas of India, being bitten by a dog, by local mythology, means you're going to have puppies and instead of seeking medical attention, you seek a local shaman to make words and make you eat/breath just the right herbs/smoke. Yes. Really. As I recall, that probably presents a relatively fixed-size reservoir (perhaps 15,000-20,000 deaths per year) of people who get exactly the wrong treatment. Pisses the Indian doctor community greatly, because the Indian health system is more than capable of giving someone who is bitten the right treatment and trivially cure them AS LONG AS it's started before the disease becomes symptomatic. Once it becomes symptomatic, the fatality rate is about as close to 100% as its possible to be.

Oct 15, 2020
Visit site
I notice Hendra doesn't make a mention. It has a 100% mortality rate with humans, horses, dogs, pretty much every mammal except the Fruit bats it is host to in Australia.

The list of diseases is using inconsistent criteria. Some of them are listed for total number of deaths, and others are listed for how lethal they are, no matter how few people catch them. Don't expect consistency in such lists UNLESS they tell you up front EXACTLY what scoring they use.

This list is effectively entirely subjective. Oooh, Marburg and Ebola are infamously messy & deadly (but doesn't infect that many). Ooh Dengue has killed a lot. Ooh Hanta has been mentioned as very deadly (and kills only a handful). Oooh, Smallpox has killed 100s of millions, (but nobody since 1980 and is extinct in the wild). etc.

Oct 15, 2020
Visit site
And in any case, the World Health Organization (WHO) is not the naming authority for novel viruses — this is the job of the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses (ICTV) and in this case specifically the Coronaviridae Study Group (CSG, or ICTV-CSG) which concluded that the virus that causes COVID-19 should be named SARS-CoV-2

The WHO on the other hand is the naming authority for novel diseases, and the name 2019-nCoV for the virus causing COVID-19 was only of a provisional nature, signifying a novel coronavirus discovered in 2019. Official classification of viruses is a scientific process, where the degree of relatedness (of novel viruses to those previously identified) is considered. By actually comparing the genome of the novel coronavirus to the genomes of related viruses, looking at certain replicative proteins, it was clear that SARS-CoV (causing SARS) and SARS-CoV-2 (causing COVID-19) are quite close to each other genetically, even though nothing indicates that the latter is a direct descendent of the former. Both are also much more closely related to other coronaviruses, known to infect Asian and African bats respectively. In contrast, none of them are as closely related to MERS-CoV as they are to each other. On the other hand, these three are more closely related to each other, than any of them are to the other coronaviruses known to infect humans. The three previously discussed (causing major epidemics in recent decades) are zoonotic viruses, meaning they are believed to momentarily “spill over” from animals to humans. The other four coronaviruses infecting humans are common respiratory viruses that circulate continually among us, with symptoms ranging from the common cold (which can be caused by more than 200 virus strains) to more high-morbidity outcomes

It's worthy of note that the "SARS" component is simply from the phrase "Severe acute respiratory syndrome" - a symptomatic descriptive phrase. Many diseases cause that, not just MERS and Covid-19, pneumonias of all varieties can do that too. It's just that it became an acronym for the disease because nobody jumped out and with a loud enough voice and shrieked "it's called Fred from now on!" instead.

Naming of these things can be entirely arbitrary, illogical, and inconsistent if someone can't take hold of it all (like the ICTV) and try to produce some order and didn't insult anyone.

Eg: the Spanish Flu was named "spanish" because Spain didn't have the level of censorship other countries had during WW1, and reported it more freely. "It's the thing that's being reported in Spain!" and no other reason. There's good reason to believe that the true origin was in the US (but its existence largely hidden by censorship), and should more rightly be called the "American Flu". Which will get people's nose out of joint - a rose by any other name is still a rose, so WTF does it matter? Pick something that doesn't blame anyone, much less effort wasted on nothing.

This effect is MUCH worse in computer virus naming. Each discoverer may not be seeing the whole thing, and probably won't know if some other previous discoverer has already found the same thing, let alone named it. The names are all over the map as to how they've been developed too. Mirai is called Mirai because the author called it that. Others are named for just one of the many things it might do. Others are named for amusing bits found inside the virus. And others are simply random words pulled out of the hat to distinguish them from what that specific researcher has found before.

The upshot? Each computer virus can have anywhere from one to over a dozen different names across the industry. Everyone wants to use a standard naming, but frankly the field makes that virtually impossible. Further, nobody would agree which naming scheme should hold sway anyway. If you picked one, someone would ignore it and just continue on their own merry way.

Dec 9, 2022
Visit site
Humans have been fighting viruses throughout history. Here are the 12 viruses that are the world's worst killers, based on their mortality rates, or the sheer numbers of people they have killed.

hello my name is Stephen S. Rodrigues, MD finished Howard University College of medicine 1983 board-certified family medicine 1988 by 1990 I was 100% certain I was not in control of what I was doing that I learned DC General Hospital, Southeast community Hospital, Howard University Hospital Washington DC in the 1980s from hundreds of nurses in command full control of hospitals they were literally figuratively and in reality MASH Units! exactly like the ones in World War II, Korean War, VIETNAM war and obviously POST-VIETNAM WASHINGTON DC was a killing field still is a killing fields.... , Nurses, ICU nurses, CCU NURSES, surgical nurses, preop postop labor and delivery nurses taught me what I call the 1-2-3 works perfectly no failures because without understanding all that we've learned about pregnancy muscles muscle pain muscle memory muscle misery in the 5 ancient restorative therapies guaranteed to unlock type toxic chronic painful muscle knots literally muscle cancer allowing the return of blood flow so mother nature does the rest while mothers get a good night sleep wake up feel REFRESHED, BATTLE READY, mindful mental clarity ready to do God's will without painkillers orthopedic and neurosurgeons plastic surgeons or even healthcare system.

Dec 9, 2022
Visit site
It's worthy of note that the "SARS" component is simply from the phrase "Severe acute respiratory syndrome" - a symptomatic descriptive phrase. Many diseases cause that, not just MERS and Covid-19, pneumonias of all varieties can do that too. It's just that it became an acronym for the disease because nobody jumped out and with a loud enough voice and shrieked "it's called Fred from now on!" instead.

Naming of these things can be entirely arbitrary, illogical, and inconsistent if someone can't take hold of it all (like the ICTV) and try to produce some order and didn't insult anyone.

Eg: the Spanish Flu was named "spanish" because Spain didn't have the level of censorship other countries had during WW1, and reported it more freely. "It's the thing that's being reported in Spain!" and no other reason. There's good reason to believe that the true origin was in the US (but its existence largely hidden by censorship), and should more rightly be called the "American Flu". Which will get people's nose out of joint - a rose by any other name is still a rose, so WTF does it matter? Pick something that doesn't blame anyone, much less effort wasted on nothing.

This effect is MUCH worse in computer virus naming. Each discoverer may not be seeing the whole thing, and probably won't know if some other previous discoverer has already found the same thing, let alone named it. The names are all over the map as to how they've been developed too. Mirai is called Mirai because the author called it that. Others are named for just one of the many things it might do. Others are named for amusing bits found inside the virus. And others are simply random words pulled out of the hat to distinguish them from what that specific researcher has found before.

The upshot? Each computer virus can have anywhere from one to over a dozen different names across the industry. Everyone wants to use a standard naming, but frankly the field makes that virtually impossible. Further, nobody would agree which naming scheme should hold sway anyway. If you picked one, someone would ignore it and just continue on their own merry way.
there's no one in charge of the health and well-being of our children.... How do I know? I have checked 200 government officials no one's there because we are humans were not supposed to play any other roles except parents working together for the happiness of children for free and when we do that will be world peace guarantee easy 1-2-3. Here's the evidence my destiny my history don't forget history is never a mystery because we are all humans we know what we are by our history what we've done but would doing and what we will do if we do not make any corrections...Tragically CIA paperclip should be recognized worldwide Doctor Joseph Sabatier American Medical Association tragedy beyond imagination.

Hello again, this Dr. Rod, HUCM '83, public health services 1984, BC Family Medicine 1988, physical medicine and rehab 1992, osteopathy 1993, chiropractic 1994, acupuncture 1997. Dry needling 1988, deep tissue massage, hands-on sweat equity myofascial release 1999, tendon ligament injections per Stuart Hackett, trigger point injections per Janet G Travell MD 2000 . OMG.. Dr. Travell working with the Department of Army post-World War II had already published the recipe guaranteed to eradicate PTSD with megadoses of tenderness loyalty and compassion 34 TLC's per day.