Solar 'superflares' millions of times stronger than anything today may have sparked life on earth

The problem for the origin of life on Earth has not been the "building blocks" but the surface environments (with liquid water) that would allow the formation of the peptide and nucleotide bonds to develop and extend themselves enough to make proteins...wetting and drying. The young Sun may have been dimmer in the visible spectrum, but it was much stronger in the UV spectrum. That means some protection from the intense solar UV. Oxygen created from the photodissociation of water vapor in the stratosphere with the loss of light hydrogen to space would have allowed a prebiotic ozone screen to develop. There is no viable alternative. Superflares or not.

May 17, 2023
Visit site
Not one wit of new information, and not one wit better than Miller Urey experiment. Having useless racemic mixtures of amino acids, from SOLAR FLARES adds nothing to the explanation of life on this planet. More useless hopium, when staring at a virtual sea of mixtures of basic building blocks, amongst a vast array of a chemical morass, so deleterious to first life.

Jan 15, 2023
Visit site
We are entering territory uncharted and decidedly dangerous to contemplate rationally. The energies stated in this article are increasing to levels unimaginable.
To assume comfortably that we are safe from distant and ancient dynamos such as this is naive.
These distant and exotic sources of unimaginable power have been traveling at velocities we can't possibly comprehend.
What I am postulating is that at any time we can expect to be overtaken by any one of many energies unfazed by distances such as we determine them to be.

We are entering territory uncharted and decidedly dangerous to contemplate rationally. The energies stated in this article are increasing to levels unimaginable.
To assume comfortably that we are safe from distant and ancient dynamos such as this is naive.
These distant and exotic sources of unimaginable power have been traveling at velocities we can't possibly comprehend.
What I am postulating is that at any time we can expect to be overtaken by any one of many energies unfazed by distances such as we determine them to be.
So, we have no control over these celestial events that were supposed to have "sparked" life and will eventually and ultimately end it. Encouraging news.

Jan 15, 2023
Visit site
So, we have no control over these celestial events that were supposed to have "sparked" life and will eventually and ultimately end it. Encouraging news.
Quite correct. I don't subscribe to the otherwise rational theory of a "sparked" life by cosmic means.
It is even a bit understated that we are vulnerable to catastrophe at any time. it's way overdue for a relatively quiet 10,000 years, inducing a carelessness in the masses.
The scientific community is to this hour identifying objects and energies not noticed before. Dangers that were always there are being discovered, and an optimistic populace rests secure in our belief these scientists are aware of a possible extinction event approaching earth.
This is the great concern we all should contemplate because it is reality.

Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
Wasn't this very type of research done already? I believe, if I remember right, they irradiated plants and seeds to create genetic deformities trying to come up with hardier or new species. This was done in some form or fashion, over a period of 50 to 70 years and was canceled when the results they expected were not achieved.