James Webb telescope could detect life on Earth from across the galaxy, new study suggests

Unless NASA or some other government entity has faster-than-light-speed travel all figured out, it would occur to me that loading all the rich and powerful elite humans on giant spaceships and sending them off to a new home somewhere else in the Galaxy is a pipe dream. And that's the idea, isn't it? There are 8 billion of us stewing in our own juices on this little, soon-to-be-depleted rock, and 99.99999% of us are going NOWHERE! How about spending all that money on a solution to global warming, instead?

Jan 26, 2023
Visit site
Unless NASA or some other government entity has faster-than-light-speed travel all figured out, it would occur to me that loading all the rich and powerful elite humans on giant spaceships and sending them off to a new home somewhere else in the Galaxy is a pipe dream. And that's the idea, isn't it? There are 8 billion of us stewing in our own juices on this little, soon-to-be-depleted rock, and 99.99999% of us are going NOWHERE! How about spending all that money on a solution to global warming, instead?
"And that's the idea, isn't it?" Well, no, that isn't the idea of the JWST. By all means, we NEED to drastically reduce our carbon footprint, planet-wide. But we should also be using our best technology to find out as much as possible about the universe around us. Meanwhile, how about spending some money convincing 3/4 of Republicans that global warming is an existential threat?

Aug 27, 2020
Visit site
Given to hyperbole at all? How 40 to 50 light years away translates to "across the galaxy" literally boggles my mind, given the latter would suggest a distance of somewhere around 50,000 LY! It betrays a certain ignorance of the distances involved, or a tendency towards click bait, or both.

Jun 21, 2023
Visit site
Given to hyperbole at all? How 40 to 50 light years away translates to "across the galaxy" literally boggles my mind, given the latter would suggest a distance of somewhere around 50,000 LY! It betrays a certain ignorance of the distances involved, or a tendency towards click bait, or both.
That was the first thing I thought. 45 LY is hardly "across the galaxy."

Jun 21, 2023
Visit site
We learned much about the greenhouse effect by observing Venus. The JWST was money well spent. It may result in a paradigm shift in our understanding of the cosmos and the big bang. Space exploration is a good thing. It's not an either / or scenario. How about allocating much of the military budget for greener energy instead.

Jun 21, 2023
Visit site
Sep 26, 2023
Visit site
Its amazing how the James Webb can see that far but seriously, until we can develope a propulsion system that will get us there, what's the point? Also on another note, shut up about global warming.