Humans can 'smell' each other's emotions — but we don't know how

Jan 14, 2024
Visit site
I disagree with the last bit about choosing a scent like choosing a facial expression. If you're driving and someone opens a bag of beef jerky behind you and you are unaware they had it, you smell dogpoo even if you like jerky. When they tell you it's beef jerky, the way the scent registers to the driver changes (if they want it to. If they are stuck in disgust and do not wish to smell it as jerky, it will stay registered as not-food)

Jan 14, 2024
Visit site
I disagree with the last bit about choosing a scent like choosing a facial expression. If you're driving and someone opens a bag of beef jerky behind you and you are unaware they had it, you smell dogpoo even if you like jerky. When they tell you it's beef jerky, the way the scent registers to the driver changes (if they want it to. If they are stuck in disgust and do not wish to smell it as jerky, it will stay registered as not-food)
Taste is similar. I hate strawberry. There's an energy drink that I always found unsettling but not unpleasant until someone told me it was strawberry flavored and I couldn't drink it anymore. Its like awareness heightens focus. Now I'm gonna be assessing BO by how much they smell like fresh cut grass