How does the new coronavirus compare with the flu?

Jan 1, 2020
Visit site
Comparing the flu to the new coronavirus is like comparing apples and oranges.

The new coronavirus has only been infecting humans for about a month while the flu has been infecting humans for more than half a year.

The flu wasn't even being reported on in its first month.

This coronavirus seems to be more infective than the flu and more deadly.

Feb 5, 2020
Visit site

The new coronavirus has only been infecting humans for about a month while the flu has been infecting humans for more than half a year.

I completely agree.

WDS

Feb 5, 2020
Visit site
The Lancet article was specifically about people who had pneumonia and not everyone who had the 2019 novel coronavirus. So, yes, 75% had double pneumonia and the other 25% had single pneumonia.

"In December, 2019, a pneumonia associated with the 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) emerged in Wuhan, China. We aimed to further clarify the epidemiological and clinical characteristics of 2019-nCoV pneumonia."

Feb 12, 2020
Visit site
Did you read The Lancet article? You are spreading misinformation. 75% of the patients had bilateral pneumonia. This virus is not comparable to the flu.

You realize this study was conducted on hospitalized patients, right? What percentage of hospitalized flu patients do you think have complications like pneumonia, sepsis, shock, etc? I'm a physician who takes care of hospitalized patients, including many flu patients, every year and the answer is pretty much all of them--otherwise they wouldn't have been admitted to the hospital.

With that said, current data does suggest that this nCoV-19 is more infectious and far deadlier than the flu. However, current data is limited in many ways and both its infectivity and especially its mortality rate is likely to drop significantly with more data.

The bottom line is, should we take this seriously? Yes? Should we be scared about it and let it affect our lives any more than be more careful of our hygiene and avoid contact with overtly sick people? No.

Feb 18, 2020
Visit site

Where did you get the stat for "more than half a year"?

The stat on CDC gives at most 5 months

Feb 25, 2020
Visit site
If R0 of coronavirus is more than Seasonal flu, so Why in Fact the rate of the Flue is so much more than cov19?!
I mean the affected people and hospitalization rates. Flu has such a more hospitalization that with 0.05% of Death rate, yet has nearly 6x more than Cov_19!!!!
So how Can I solve this contradictary informations?!

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2020
Visit site
If R0 of coronavirus is more than Seasonal flu, so Why in Fact the rate of the Flue is so much more than cov19?!
I mean the affected people and hospitalization rates. Flu has such a more hospitalization that with 0.05% of Death rate, yet has nearly 6x more than Cov_19!!!!
So how Can I solve this contradictary informations?!
The flu spreads every year from many points of existing infection. It never dies out. It just changes its dominant hemisphere. Covid-19 started from a single point in China this year, so it was at a transmission disadvantage compared to the flu. That explains how the R0 for covid-19 can be higher than the flu even though covid-19 has fewer cases this year than the flu.

Feb 27, 2020
Visit site
I'm curious as to why more data becoming available could have an impact on the mortality rate? Thanks!
Because most of the data has been gathered at hospitals where the most serious cases end up. It stands to reason that deaths would be overrepresented in that setting. I think the best data to watch is the mortality rate from those infected on the cruise ship since that was a closed system. I believe there are 3 deaths out of 700 so far, but the infection is still spreading and it's too early to draw any conclusions from that. We should know more in a month or so after the virus has run its course completely on that subgroup.

Feb 29, 2020
Visit site
Here is some issues off the bat.
Most articles are trying to compare the Flu in America to the COVID-19 in China as numbers.
They didn't include any statistics on the Flu in China to compare to the COVID-19.
Here is something even worse, it's best to use data from when the Flu first appeared compared to when COVID-19 appeared. The reason for this is because we have better ways at combating the Flu compared to the COVID-19 since it's a new virus.
Based on statistics, a total of 87,000 cases of COVID-19 have been reported but only about 3,000 have resulted in a death where 42,000 have already recovered from it.
The Flu of 2009 which lasted a little more of a year claimed a lot more lives, the Flu of 2009 killed well over 200,000+ people and infected well over 700 million people, again the main cause of death was the respiratory.

Health Corporations like to cause panic in order for vaccines and treatments to be sold so they could get a profit, this was seen during the Flu of 2009 in which corporations pressured WHO (World Health Organization) in order for corporations to make profits.

dan

Feb 3, 2020
Visit site
Most articles are trying to compare the Flu in America to the COVID-19 in China as numbers.
They didn't include any statistics on the Flu in China to compare to the COVID-19.
Here is something even worse, it's best to use data from when the Flu first appeared compared to when COVID-19 appeared. The reason for this is because we have better ways at combating the Flu compared to the COVID-19 since it's a new virus.
Based on statistics, a total of 87,000 cases of COVID-19 have been reported but only about 3,000 have resulted in a death where 42,000 have already recovered from it.
The Flu of 2009 which lasted a little more of a year claimed a lot more lives, the Flu of 2009 killed well over 200,000+ people and infected well over 700 million people, again the main cause of death was the respiratory.

Health Corporations like to cause panic in order for vaccines and treatments to be sold so they could get a profit, this was seen during the Flu of 2009 in which corporations pressured WHO (World Health Organization) in order for corporations to make profits.
Profits from causing fear in innocent people's lives? I will never understand people. I've felt like that from my cardiologist , giving me meds with affects that hurt me more, most I quit,

Reactions: nesie
Mar 1, 2020
Visit site
My question is, is there an incubation period for COVID-19? My impression is that it’s contagious for 14 days prior to one showing symptoms — Is this true, and is a true for all cases? That would make it very hard to stop an pandemic. From what I read SARS was contaned because it wasn’t contagious until one showed symptoms of it. So they were able to quarantine the one with SARS immediately and eventually track down everyone who had it. If you can’t tell who have corona virus and you can’t test of everyone, it seems very difficult to stop it.

Secondly, how contagious is it? Hundreds of people on the cruiseship acquiring it, or 50 people in the Washington nursing home getting it in a few days seems quite telling.

Feb 28, 2020
Visit site
It's more deadly and more contagious than seasonal flu, and nothing can stop it. We're all going to get it, or its vaccine. Everything you read is just your government telling you that you're outta luck.

To my mind, this phrase means that, for our purposes, two items have zero in common, and any comparison between the two is literally meaningless, as we can learn absolutely nothing from such a discussion. Is this your intent? If not, can you please clarify?

dan

Feb 3, 2020
Visit site

Medical professionals (certain) give credence to the virus leading to (Disease) of the lungs, Meaning if you have the virus and test negative after treatment or after fighting to recoup and you do. A person (may develope lung disease) . Even after the virus, related to the virus directly. No! Only certain individuals like myself, older, heart disease, health conditions, respiratory and immune problems. But I do believe Israel doctors say they will have a vaccine, Until then be kind to others, help if you can, be of service, ask questions, pray, and be more than you are, We all hope warm weather will affect the virus to kill it someway. But we are all affected by it in ways together. Be positive.

Reactions: Shiiv
Mar 8, 2020
Visit site
I would think a vaccine would be hard since common colds are also, often, caused by a type of coronavirus and I don't believe they have a vaccine for the common cold yet.

EXACTLY!!!!! when we get more accurate results the ppl that keep on and on that this is our typical run of the mill no big deal flu will have to come up with a new platform.

Latest posts