How does the new coronavirus compare with the flu?

Page 4 - For the science geek in everyone, Live Science breaks down the stories behind the most interesting news and photos on the Internet.

ROG

Aug 29, 2020
NOW in the UK we have a situation where the virus has done its worst with about 1000 deaths per day at its peak
We are now getting an average of about 10 covid related deaths per day and that is with the infection rate rising!
The UK average daily death rate for everything is about 1500

Like many other diseases that have gone around the world in history, it kills off the weak and vulnerable then goes on to mildly infect the rest

The daft UK Govt is still using infection rates to react instead of hospital admissions and deaths
Nobody knows exactly how many are infected at any one time but we do have exact figures for deaths and hospital admissions

Aug 31, 2020
NOW in the UK we have a situation where the virus has done its worst with about 1000 deaths per day at its peak
We are now getting an average of about 10 covid related deaths per day and that is with the infection rate rising!
The UK average daily death rate for everything is about 1500

Like many other diseases that have gone around the world in history, it kills off the weak and vulnerable then goes on to mildly infect the rest

The daft UK Govt is still using infection rates to react instead of hospital admissions and deaths
Nobody knows exactly how many are infected at any one time but we do have exact figures for deaths and hospital admissions
Here in the US I think the policy (however unspoken and unpublished) is to accept these exact type of losses as collateral damage of sorts. Many do not agree with this policy but as long as it remains unspoken of, that is what the policies are becoming - at least in the current administration. What the next might bring or achieve, I cannot say. Certainly the few small areas that are the most successful are the ones that follow the original CDC's original recommendations.

Mar 21, 2020
Have you heard the latest news out of Africa/India? Places like that are multiplying collateral damage beyond all reason... with populations heavily weighted on the young side they have overall relatively little to fear from the virus but their politicians and opportunists, alarmists and dumb media are all no better than ours so they're going insane with lockdowns and killing their economic life just as we are.

Saw a video yesterday illustrating it. Can't find it again today and it's not widely published in our media it seems. But I think it is real. Sounds right. But much false news does. However I think we all should consider it and check it out.

But for them there's no slack. They can't afford it. When you live day to day you need each days' work, each days take, success, gleanings.

We need to come to our senses and set an example for them and propagandise them with the truth I'd say, don't you think?

And here's what the real situation (which we won't look at) is like: (click on this link)

Last edited:

ROG

Aug 29, 2020
12 people/6 couples go out in 2 groups of 6 which keep 2 metres apart
They start off with 6 males in one group and 6 females in the other
Then later they split into 2 groups of 3 couples
That is legal and mixing 12 not 6
It is a joke

Until we see hospital admissions significantly rising then covid is no worse than influenza
Since mid July in the UK influenza has a higher death rate than covid

Sep 6, 2020
12 people/6 couples go out in 2 groups of 6 which keep 2 metres apart
They start off with 6 males in one group and 6 females in the other
Then later they split into 2 groups of 3 couples
That is legal and mixing 12 not 6
It is a joke
Governments/ Health professionals attempt to place policies in place to save lives and people will work out a way to get around it to rubbish it rather than work with it.

Ireland restricted the number of people that could congregate in pubs and restaurants; the intention was to prevent people mixing and potentially passing the virus... I think it was 10 indoors but groups of 50 were ok outdoors... The result was the businesses moved tables outside and you have paths blocked with punters.

Governments are trying to keep life normal, but if people abuse it or the media try to make it confusing then the simple answer is lock everything down.

Mar 21, 2020
Governments/ Health professionals attempt to place policies in place to save lives and people will work out a way to get around it to rubbish it rather than work with it.

Ireland restricted the number of people that could congregate in pubs and restaurants; the intention was to prevent people mixing and potentially passing the virus... I think it was 10 indoors but groups of 50 were ok outdoors... The result was the businesses moved tables outside and you have paths blocked with punters.

Governments are trying to keep life normal, but if people abuse it or the media try to make it confusing then the simple answer is lock everything down.
this is one of the most beautiful examples I've ever seen of the total reverse reality that so many people live in.

that makes rational discussion impossible.

that gave rise to the looting, arson and murder so prevalent in america today, as a for instance.

Look at it: 'Governments are trying to keep life normal' !!!

Look at it. !!!

The whole bloody point is that governments have made life so abnormal as to effectively kill the country. Kill. Murder. Destroy.

Jobs, homes, savings, futures, health, wealth, educations, hope, ambition.. everything destroyed.

And not least but first and foremost: rationality. Honesty Truth Reason.

Madness. 'governments are trying to keep life normal' !! My god.

And presumably this person believes what they're saying.

Sep 6, 2020
this is one of the most beautiful examples I've ever seen of the total reverse reality that so many people live in.

that makes rational discussion impossible.
It appears you have read one comment elsewhere and then quoted me for an unconnected argument - My post is in relation to the public trying to abuse or rubbish a position to justify acting as they always would.

that gave rise to the looting, arson and murder so prevalent in america today, as a for instance.

Look at it: 'Governments are trying to keep life normal' !!!

Look at it. !!!
Would you please give examples of Coronavirus linked looting, arson etc... within teh UK and Ireland which my comment was in reference too.
On a side note it would be interesting how you would separate coronavirus related issues in America as many Governers opposed lockdowns and the majority of violence in circulation is in connection with non-coronavirus issues.
I am looking at the [trying to keep] normal we are in presently and comparing it to the full lockdown. I trust you would agree the Government are trying to avoid a lockdown?

The whole bloody point is that governments have made life so abnormal as to effectively kill the country. Kill. Murder. Destroy.

Jobs, homes, savings, futures, health, wealth, educations, hope, ambition.. everything destroyed.

And not least but first and foremost: rationality. Honesty Truth Reason.

Madness. 'governments are trying to keep life normal' !! My god.

And presumably this person believes what they're saying.
In the UK (I am working in Ireland presently) I understand you can have a beer in a pub, watch a football game on TV with a good friend and send your child to school come Monday.
I can book a holiday if I wish so please tell me what has been destroyed in your day-to-day life that realistically impacts you and looking out side of the UK are you able to suggest a country which has a 'better quality of life' you wish you had in connection with coronavirus restrictions.

Mar 21, 2020
It's the 'reverse reality that people live in' that gives rise to the looting, arson, etc. I think you'll find if you read my comment again.

Not that particular reverse reality. That was never said. The point - need I say it? - is that reverse realities are the evil.

ASK THE COMMUNITY