13 billion-year-old 'Maisie's galaxy' is one of the oldest objects in the universe, James Webb telescope reveals

Born less than 400 million years after the Big Bang, Maisie's galaxy is officially one of the four oldest galaxies ever discovered, a new JWST study reveals.

13 billion-year-old 'Maisie's galaxy' is one of the oldest objects in the universe, James Webb telescope reveals : Read more
I'm impressed that the youngest galaxy in the universe is also the oldest galaxy in the universe. I can handle that. What I can't get my head around is how the youngest galaxy is also one of the biggest and brightest. ( so we can even see it )It took our galaxy about 14,600,000,000 years to get as big as it is. But, Maisie's is only 400,000,000 years old. Ours is 36.5 times as old but Maisie's is very much larger. Just think about how there must be trillions of galaxies at that distance that are smaller. And we can't possibly see even halfway to the Big Bang because of that same speed of light that gives us a "red shift." Another thing If it took 13 billion years to get that far away, (or more) and then gave off a photon that takes 13 billion years for the light to get from there to here. Isn't that evidence that the universe is at least 26 billion years old?

Last edited: