Winter solstice 2023: How to see Jupiter dance with the moon on the longest night of the year

Dec 20, 2023
Visit site
The article states the Tropic of Capricorn at precisely 22.5 degrees south. I was always under the impression it was 23.5 degrees to coincide with the earths axial tilt. I hope I’m telling my students proper information.

Jan 19, 2024
Visit site
A lunar cycle later, and I believe I am seeing Jupiter wobbling around close to the moon (with the naked eye). Everything else in the night sky seems static. Couldn't believe what I was seeing. Thought I might be hallucinating. Never knew of this phenomenom until I sought explanation and found your article with the word "dance". Is it Jupiter's own moons pulling it from side to side - in just tens of seconds?

Jan 19, 2024
Visit site
The article states the Tropic of Capricorn at precisely 22.5 degrees south. I was always under the impression it was 23.5 degrees to coincide with the earths axial tilt. I hope I’m telling my students proper information.
According to Wikipedia, it's currently 23.43616° and slowly moving north (closer to the equator) at 15 metres per year - not significant, but enough to have to regularly move any signage, and dispel claims by restaurants and suchlike to be situated right on it. Earth's axial tilt varies over a 41,000-year period from 22.1 to 24.5 degrees.

Latest posts