Why COVID-19 kills some people and spares others. Here's what scientists are finding.

May 6, 2020
The novel coronavirus causing COVID-19 seems to hit some people harder than others, with some people experiencing just mild symptoms and others being hospitalized and requiring ventilation. Here's why.

Why COVID-19 kills some people and spares others. Here's what scientists are finding. : Read more
Ok, I will bite. How does 80% (8 out of 10) = 11% + 27% (38%) ?

"About 8 out of 10 deaths associated with COVID-19 in the U.S. have occurred in adults ages 65 and older, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The risk of dying from the infection, and the likelihood of requiring hospitalization or intensive medical care, increases significantly with age. For instance, adults ages 65-84 make up an estimated 4-11% of COVID-19 deaths in the U.S, while adults ages 85 and above make up 10-27%. "

Reactions: ManosMyron
May 6, 2020
Ok, I will bite. How does 80% (8 out of 10) = 11% + 27% (38%) ?

"About 8 out of 10 deaths associated with COVID-19 in the U.S. have occurred in adults ages 65 and older, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The risk of dying from the infection, and the likelihood of requiring hospitalization or intensive medical care, increases significantly with age. For instance, adults ages 65-84 make up an estimated 4-11% of COVID-19 deaths in the U.S, while adults ages 85 and above make up 10-27%. "
I see that the writer pulled the stats directly from CDC website but misunderstood them. I believe the last two percentages is the percentage of confirmed cases for the age group that ended in death due to the virus, not the percentage of overall deaths. Livescience needs to vet their articles better else they become yet another source of misinformation.

Reactions: ManosMyron

ASK THE COMMUNITY