Two minerals never before been seen on Earth found inside 17-ton meteorite

Nov 28, 2022
Visit site
I'm just wondering how I missed the news about a 16 ton meteorite hitting Somalia in 2020. I know there was a lot of other stuff going on but it seems like that would have still been a big story. Was there a gigantic crater or explosion from something that large hitting the planet?

Nov 28, 2022
Visit site
I'm just wondering how I missed the news about a 16 ton meteorite hitting Somalia in 2020. I know there was a lot of other stuff going on but it seems like that would have still been a big story. Was there a gigantic crater or explosion from something that large hitting the planet?
According to the Meteoritical Bulletin, it didn't crash to Earth in 2020. "The local herders near El Ali report that they had knowledge of this rock for more than 5-7 generations memorialized through Saar folklore, songs, dances and poems."
So the part about "crashed to Earth in 2020" is incorrect.
Meteoritical Bulletin: Entry for El Ali

Dec 2, 2022
Visit site

Found and landing/crashed into are vastly different scenarios.
A meteorite could still be somewhere undiscovered in Earth's layers, or barely touched land masses. You can also have a meteorite, or other materials from history for the matter, be discovered, but not as well looked over for decades, or longer. That's the main reason why advancements in technology have a teetering effect for pros and cons. The main pros are scientific finds/ability to identify and analyze composites, estimated dates, any potential living matter, other elements to add onto our list, and much more. Finding something that's this rare is huge. There's zero chance we have found, let alone deeply studied every possible meteorite on earth, and the older they have crashed onto our planet the less likely it is for us to have discovered it to fully research.

The article isn't inaccurate. This is the year they found the object being discussed.

The meteor was never investigate in Somalia because no qualified person is left in the country. Somalia is one of the little known causality of George Bush's "war on terror", which so far killed thousands and thousands times more "brown" civilians then armed people. It is another case of "we want democracy but we don't support the government of your choice and we will bomb you until you realize" policy of USA (remember the time when the USA said they will accept the result of Palestinean election no matter who'll win, only to immediately refuse to do so and signalled Israel to impose blockade when the party they favoured lost the election?).
Kenya invaded Somalia on USA's behalf using the excuse of an attack that was launched against it's US embassy, Somalia's government refused any involvement, publicly criticised the attack, not to mention the fact that USA was already killing Somalians in flock using Kenya as a base. Then US backed militaries entered the country, ousted the government, installed one of it's own, the predominantly Christian soldiers shown inhuman brutality to the Somali people and Muslim radicalism raised who no longer respect democratic process, watch every foreign involvement as as enemy collaboration (even Turkish involevement) and want to gain power by force. The fight is ongoing and this year Somalia will probably face a massive famine.

Dec 8, 2022
Visit site
The meteor was never investigate in Somalia because no qualified person is left in the country. Somalia is one of the little known causality of George Bush's "war on terror", which so far killed thousands and thousands times more "brown" civilians then armed people. It is another case of "we want democracy but we don't support the government of your choice and we will bomb you until you realize" policy of USA (remember the time when the USA said they will accept the result of Palestinean election no matter who'll win, only to immediately refuse to do so and signalled Israel to impose blockade when the party they favoured lost the election?).
Kenya invaded Somalia on USA's behalf using the excuse of an attack that was launched against it's US embassy, Somalia's government refused any involvement, publicly criticised the attack, not to mention the fact that USA was already killing Somalians in flock using Kenya as a base. Then US backed militaries entered the country, ousted the government, installed one of it's own, the predominantly Christian soldiers shown inhuman brutality to the Somali people and Muslim radicalism raised who no longer respect democratic process, watch every foreign involvement as as enemy collaboration (even Turkish involevement) and want to gain power by force. The fight is ongoing and this year Somalia will probably face a massive famine.
Somalia was the hotbed of piracy during the time period you describe, reaching a peak in 2008. Attacked and hijacked thousands of innocent ships. No one attempted to control this. After the civil war in the 1980s, the clans in Somali were the unfortunate recipients of muslim controlling groups. Al Shabab has been a continual destabilizing force in Somali. You need to check your facts. The USA worked to establish a democratic government with no success because of the destabilizing forces native to Somalia. Finally, that meteor hit Somalia decades ago.