SpaceX rockets keep tearing blood-red 'atmospheric holes' in the sky, and scientists are concerned

Nov 29, 2023
Visit site
A little over a year ago, I said that there will be a huge propaganda campaign against Elon Musk for allowing people to speak without being censored on Twitter. And this article is exactly that. Negative propaganda against Elon musk's interests. The nice thing about it is, at least this time around, we know it's intentional and we know it is because The Biden administration wants to silence anyone who opposes anything they approve. So thank you for the hit piece. You all are so predictable these days.

And if anyone thinks I am inaccurate, let's wait to see what kind of responses I get to this comment.

Nov 29, 2023
Visit site
Two paragraphs of saying “SpaceX” before the article notes that the phenomena well predates and is not specific to only SpaceX … several mentions of blood and bleeding and tearing and punching. Gotta collect the clicks.

tl;dr: the holes last 10 to 20 minutes, pose no health or environmental threat, the impact on astronomical science is being evaluated, they can also disrupt shortwave radio communication and interfere with GPS signals, and studying these holes could also help scientists learn more about the ionosphere.

Reactions: Debed and firedevil
Nov 29, 2023
Visit site
Astronomers have discovered a new type of "aurora" created by falling SpaceX rocket boosters that punch temporary holes in the ionosphere. Experts are concerned that these blood-red light shows could be causing unknown problems for astronomy and communication.

SpaceX rockets keep tearing blood-red 'atmospheric holes' in the sky, and scientists are concerned : Read more
Per the article: not newly discovered, not specific to SpaceX rockets. … but readers might be forgiven for thinking it… Considering how much the article was sprinkled with the name SpaceX.

Reactions: Debed and firedevil
Nov 29, 2023
Visit site
Disappointing writing.

"For example, in July, a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket, which was carrying Starlink satellites into orbit, ripped open a hole above Arizona that made the sky bleed. And, in September, a U.S. Space Force rocket accidentally punched an ionospheric hole above California, which created a faint red glow."

Wow! That sounds really bad and scary!

Then:

"But the recombined molecules are are reionized, which closes up the holes within 10 to 20 minutes."

"Just like the larger light shows [which happen all the time], the ionospheric holes pose no danger to life on Earth's surface. However, "their impact on astronomical science is still being evaluated," Hummel said. As a result, it is "a growing area of attention" among researchers, he added."

Never mind.

This is fodder for the tinfoil hat crowd, not science writing.

Nov 29, 2023
Visit site
A little over a year ago, I said that there will be a huge propaganda campaign against Elon Musk for allowing people to speak without being censored on Twitter. And this article is exactly that. Negative propaganda against Elon musk's interests. The nice thing about it is, at least this time around, we know it's intentional and we know it is because The Biden administration wants to silence anyone who opposes anything they approve. So thank you for the hit piece. You all are so predictable these days.

And if anyone thinks I am inaccurate, let's wait to see what kind of responses I get to this comment.
You're absolutely correct

Reactions: Pepperdog23
Nov 29, 2023
Visit site
There is NOTHING new about this type of “aurora.” I grew up in Southern California in. The 1960’s and every time Vandenburg would host a launch, this view could be seen for hundreds of miles.

Reactions: Debed
Nov 29, 2023
Visit site
There is NOTHING new about this type of “aurora.” I grew up in Southern California in. The 1960’s and every time Vandenburg would host a launch, this view could be seen for hundreds of miles.
Please read the article to see why this particular version is new to astronomers... aka people who study the sky and space for a living.

"Now, astronomers at the McDonald Observatory in Texas have spotted similar but unique red lights appearing long after SpaceX's Falcon 9 rockets have left Earth's atmosphere. These lights, which are smaller and more spherical than the long streaks created by launching rockets, are the result of ionospheric holes carved out by the rockets' secondary boosters as they fall back to Earth after detaching from the rockets, Spaceweather.com reported."

Key word there being "unique" as in... they have seen similar phenomena before, but the ones observed in these SpaceX launches have "unique" characteristics due their "unique" design.

Reactions: Zayd bin Aristu
Nov 29, 2023
Visit site
Disappointing writing.

"For example, in July, a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket, which was carrying Starlink satellites into orbit, ripped open a hole above Arizona that made the sky bleed. And, in September, a U.S. Space Force rocket accidentally punched an ionospheric hole above California, which created a faint red glow."

Wow! That sounds really bad and scary!

Then:

"But the recombined molecules are are reionized, which closes up the holes within 10 to 20 minutes."

"Just like the larger light shows [which happen all the time], the ionospheric holes pose no danger to life on Earth's surface. However, "their impact on astronomical science is still being evaluated," Hummel said. As a result, it is "a growing area of attention" among researchers, he added."

Never mind.

This is fodder for the tinfoil hat crowd, not science writing.
You skipped the next couple paragraphs (and the sub-header apparently) which contextualizes why researchers are concerned...

"SpaceX's de-orbiting boosters release fuel during short burns in order to manouver the falling debris to touch down in the southern Atlantic Ocean instead of crashing onto land. The resulting holes typically form above the south-central U.S. around 90 minutes after launch at an altitude of about 185 miles (300 km), according to Spaceweather.com. These holes are smaller and more circular than the holes torn open by launching rockets, so the resulting lights are more spherical and do not linger as long. But they are appearing more frequently.

Just like the larger light shows, the ionospheric holes pose no danger to life on Earth's surface. However, "their impact on astronomical science is still being evaluated," Hummel said. As a result, it is "a growing area of attention" among researchers, he added.

Changes to the ionosphere can also disrupt shortwave radio communication and interfere with GPS signals, according to Spaceweather.com."

So in other words... they are concerned not because of some "doomsday" scenario... but because of the potential for "unknown problems for astronomy and communication"... aka... exactly what the sub-header said. You might want to read the whole article next time... or at the very least... read the sub-header.

Nov 29, 2023
Visit site
Two paragraphs of saying “SpaceX” before the article notes that the phenomena well predates and is not specific to only SpaceX … several mentions of blood and bleeding and tearing and punching. Gotta collect the clicks.

tl;dr: the holes last 10 to 20 minutes, pose no health or environmental threat, the impact on astronomical science is being evaluated, they can also disrupt shortwave radio communication and interfere with GPS signals, and studying these holes could also help scientists learn more about the ionosphere.
Inaccurate summary. The article states that the types of holes are unique to SpaceX rockets as SpaceX rockets have a unique design.

"Now, astronomers at the McDonald Observatory in Texas have spotted similar but unique red lights appearing long after SpaceX's Falcon 9 rockets have left Earth's atmosphere. These lights, which are smaller and more spherical than the long streaks created by launching rockets, are the result of ionospheric holes carved out by the rockets' secondary boosters as they fall back to Earth after detaching from the rockets, Spaceweather.com reported.

SpaceX's de-orbiting boosters release fuel during short burns in order to manouver the falling debris to touch down in the southern Atlantic Ocean instead of crashing onto land. The resulting holes typically form above the south-central U.S. around 90 minutes after launch at an altitude of about 185 miles (300 km), according to Spaceweather.com. These holes are smaller and more circular than the holes torn open by launching rockets, so the resulting lights are more spherical and do not linger as long. But they are appearing more frequently."

The rest is accurate though.... but just thought the idea that it wasn't unique tp SpaceX needed to be corrected as it is unique to SpaceX in the sense that no other rockets are punching holes in the ionosphere as frequently nor in the same way as SpaceX

Nov 29, 2023
Visit site
Per the article: not newly discovered, not specific to SpaceX rockets. … but readers might be forgiven for thinking it… Considering how much the article was sprinkled with the name SpaceX.
Also per the article... the specific types of holes are UNIQUE to SpaceX rockets.

"Now, astronomers at the McDonald Observatory in Texas have spotted similar but unique red lights appearing long after SpaceX's Falcon 9 rockets have left Earth's atmosphere. These lights, which are smaller and more spherical than the long streaks created by launching rockets, are the result of ionospheric holes carved out by the rockets' secondary boosters as they fall back to Earth after detaching from the rockets, Spaceweather.com reported.

SpaceX's de-orbiting boosters release fuel during short burns in order to manouver the falling debris to touch down in the southern Atlantic Ocean instead of crashing onto land. The resulting holes typically form above the south-central U.S. around 90 minutes after launch at an altitude of about 185 miles (300 km), according to Spaceweather.com. These holes are smaller and more circular than the holes torn open by launching rockets, so the resulting lights are more spherical and do not linger as long. But they are appearing more frequently."

How are none of you guys reading the part of the article where it specifically states the holes punched by SpaceX rockets have unique characteristics and appear more frequently than other rockets?

Nov 29, 2023
Visit site

Elon Musk is just another super rich man with no common sense who thinks he has all the answers. Without ever knowing the questions. We have a surplus of them these days. It must be an occupational hazard of having more money than you can possibly count, you believe you have the brain cells to match.

Nov 29, 2023
Visit site
Sounds like another stab at Elon by media. Most people don't read past the headline to understand this phenomenon wasn't started by his rockets. So it will spread that he is propagating a terrible phenomenon that must be studied more and his rockets grounded. Normal media click bait BS

Reactions: Debed
Nov 29, 2023
Visit site
Elon Musk is just another super rich man with no common sense who thinks he has all the answers. Without ever knowing the questions. We have a surplus of them these days. It must be an occupational hazard of having more money than you can possibly count, you believe you have the brain cells to match.
See you probably don't know this has been a thing..media got its sheeple again

Nov 29, 2023
Visit site

Media has its automaton sheeple to manipulate.

Dec 1, 2023
Visit site
Sounds like another stab at Elon by media. Most people don't read past the headline to understand this phenomenon wasn't started by his rockets. So it will spread that he is propagating a terrible phenomenon that must be studied more and his rockets grounded. Normal media click bait BS

The OBiden admin is literally pushing Mao's Cultural Revolution in the U.S.
If you put what the 3 did side by side

The OBiden Admin is literally pushing Mao's Cultural Revolution in the U.S.
Have you not seen a couple videos which show Biden is nothing but an actor in a rubber mask? He doesn't look nothing like the real Biden as is.

Dec 1, 2023
Visit site
A little over a year ago, I said that there will be a huge propaganda campaign against Elon Musk for allowing people to speak without being censored on Twitter.
I guess those journalists who were banned for retweeting a story about Musk’s private jet don’t count. Or the fact that the word “cis” is now banned.

Dec 1, 2023
Visit site

Have you not seen a couple videos which show Biden is nothing but an actor in a rubber mask? He doesn't look nothing like the real Biden as is.
I’ve seen videos of Biden swallowing people whole.

Apr 26, 2023
Visit site

Wow, nothing subtle here. No shades of grey. It is always slam things to the extreme with zero room for debate. Not looking forward to 24, it is going to be a giant poo show with the election coming up.

BTW, I am still waiting to see the evidence of a rigged election from 2016 and 2020. Remember 45 said 2016 was rigged too. Along with 45's healthcare plans, that he has said are coming out in a few weeks since 2017. Funny how just asking for evidence and real things is swept under the rug but "an actor in a rubber mask" is supposed to be a serious point.