'Ring of fire' solar eclipse 2023: How to watch in-person (and virtually)

Oct 17, 2023
Visit site
On Oct. 14, an epic 'ring of fire' annular solar eclipse will swoop across North America, providing once-in-a-lifetime views for several states. Here’s how to watch, no matter where you are.

'Ring of fire' solar eclipse 2023: How to watch in-person (and virtually) : Read more
The article begins by stating: “A "ring of fire," or annular solar eclipse, will be visible from eight US states on Oct. 14, 2023 — the first time such a celestial view will be available in North America.” The second part of this statement is not true. There was an annular solar eclipse which would have been visible from Los Angeles, CA, on Saturday January 4th 1992, at approximately 4:50 pm Pacific Standard Time, but L.A. had heavy cloud cover that day, so the sun (and the eclipse) couldn’t be seen from the ground. As my husband and I were both licensed pilots, we took a small plane up to about 5000’ altitude, above the clouds, and flew along the coast of Southern California, taking turns watching the eclipse through a piece of welder’s glass. He flew for a few minutes while I watched, then I flew while he watched. We had great views of the “ring of fire” as the sun set over the Pacific Ocean. It was an experience I will never forget!

Latest posts