No, the US has not tested more people in 8 days than South Korea did in 8 weeks

Mar 5, 2020
I am a doctor who leads the COVID-19 treatment team in Korea. I sincerely hope that Americans can overcome this crisis well. Americans are grateful friends who have always been a strong supporter when Koreans have difficulties.

Mar 26, 2020
If you watch the press conference, Dr Brix was the one that made this claim and President Trump repeated it during that same press conference, following up with a tweet on the topic. You are refuting the claim made by Dr Brix, not President Trump.

McF

Mar 26, 2020
Thank you, h4ck3I. I watched March 25 (where Trump repeats this statement, and probably was correct by then with one extra day). You are correct that this is Dr. Brix comment on March 24. Here is a link for anyone interested: https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/489274-birx-us-has-done-more-testing-in-8-days-than-south-korea-in-8-weeks

Also, Dr. Brix's exact words are "Probably by today we will have done more tests...", so even she qualifies it with a very significant "probably". The spirit of the statement is definitely true, not false.

Shame on you, Live Science.

Mar 26, 2020
Thank you, h4ck3I. I watched March 25 (where Trump repeats this statement, and probably was correct by then with one extra day). You are correct that this is Dr. Brix comment on March 24. Here is a link for anyone interested: https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/489274-birx-us-has-done-more-testing-in-8-days-than-south-korea-in-8-weeks

Also, Dr. Brix's exact words are "Probably by today we will have done more tests...", so even she qualifies it with a very significant "probably". The spirit of the statement is definitely true, not false.

Shame on you, Live Science.
Thank you for your correction of Livescence's reporting.

Mar 26, 2020
You are responsible for your actions and statements no matter who said it first president trump made the statement on tv and then repeated it on Twitter. His irresponsibility is inexcusable. Plus the statement is beyond misleading since South Korea has 50 million people and the United States has over six times that.

Thank you Li ve Science for your solid, factual information and your timely correction of a minor inaccuracy.

Mar 30, 2020
"It's harder to get an accurate number for nationwide testing in the U.S. because the Centers for Disease Prevention and Control only records the tests performed at their agency's labs or at state public health labs. (And that number is kind of embarrassing at 94,514.) But the vast majority of the tests in the U.S are done through private labs, which aren't included in the CDC count. "

So whats the number when you add in the private Labs? Trying to trick the public by comparing apples to oranges. America is strong because of our private sector and it is an invalid comparison to not include that data. Shame Shame.

Change the name to lyingscience

ASK THE COMMUNITY