New 'petabit-scale' optical disc can store as much information as 15,000 DVDs

Mar 12, 2024
Visit site
I wouldn't exactly call DVDs "durable". If you have children, flip over some of their movie discs and you'll see what I mean. Blu-ray is much less prone to scratches but still susceptible. Does this new high-density format have any kind of similar scratch resistance? With so much data packed into each desk, if the smallest spots were rendered unreadable wouldn't that result in the loss of very large amounts of data? That issue alone could keep this thing from large scale use.

Mar 12, 2024
Visit site
I wouldn't exactly call DVDs "durable". If you have children, flip over some of their movie discs and you'll see what I mean. Blu-ray is much less prone to scratches but still susceptible. Does this new high-density format have any kind of similar scratch resistance? With so much data packed into each desk, if the smallest spots were rendered unreadable wouldn't that result in the loss of very large amounts of data? That issue alone could keep this thing from large scale use.
If it can hold this much data, you can literally put six of them in a series, and seal them inside of a same space as a hard drive. And you wouldn't have to delete data, you could just only write new data and Mark which data is old and obsolete. and you probably outlive your entire hard drive.

Literally could outperform the storage capabilities of any hard drive in the same space. And if it hermetically sealed like that,.. your concerns about it getting scratched...