California redwoods 'killed' by wildfire come back to life with 2,000-year-old buds

Dec 14, 2023
Visit site
Redwoods and Sequoias sprout new growth whether it is from fallen trees or trees damaged by fire. I'm surprised that anyone was surprised by this fact.

Go to any grove in the redwood forest and you will see fallen trees with new trees sprouting from the fallen trees.

Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
People w/ redwoods growing on their property will tell you they're almost impossible to kill. They send roots into your garden and choke up the soil. 100 yrs ago the lumber companies sold off logged land to ranchers for grazing. The ranchers burned the stumps and tied goats to them to eat off the new growth, but some were said to sprout for 20 yrs. I'll attest to their sprouting ability but 20 yrs might be hearsay.

Apr 22, 2020
Visit site
Redwoods and Sequoias sprout new growth whether it is from fallen trees or trees damaged by fire. I'm surprised that anyone was surprised by this fact.

Go to any grove in the redwood forest and you will see fallen trees with new trees sprouting from the fallen trees.
"Nurse trees" are fallen trees with new trees growing out of them, a common sight, but I believe this typically comes from seeds landing on the fallen log. What was noteworthy here was the sprouting from badly burned trees, and that the buds had apparently been dormant for centuries.