Baltimore bridge collapse: a bridge engineer explains what happened, and what needs to change

May 16, 2023
Visit site
Why did the bridge collapse, and what can we do to make other bridges more safe against such collapse?

Baltimore bridge collapse: a bridge engineer explains what happened, and what needs to change : Read more
I think designing bridges with the largest ships that are likely to be built in mind is a good idea, but I'm wondering how practical it is? My idea would likely be more costly, but it might be more manageable: build smaller ships. Large ships can be unwieldly for not only vulnerable bridges, but for ship crews as well.

Mar 17, 2024
Visit site
I think designing bridges with the largest ships that are likely to be built in mind is a good idea, but I'm wondering how practical it is? My idea would likely be more costly, but it might be more manageable: build smaller ships. Large ships can be unwieldly for not only vulnerable bridges, but for ship crews as well.
I think it is not practical to build a bridge that could stop a ship collapsing it , because of the engineering involved .
The Baltimore Bridge didn't really collapse , it was destroyed by the force from a large mass colliding with it .
Road vehicles are nothing compared to that ship , the bridge is made for road vehicles , not ships hitting it .

Mar 17, 2024
Visit site
Why did the bridge collapse, and what can we do to make other bridges more safe against such collapse?

Baltimore bridge collapse: a bridge engineer explains what happened, and what needs to change : Read more
You can't really construct a bridge that can withstand such a great force so like they do on the roads , they needed crash barriers set a distance away from the bridge supports .
They also shouldn't have a great length between supports because of sectional damage control in case of a failure .
This is the last free advice I am going to give you people .

Water foundation

1.Bore four holes in the river bed in a square pattern . Depth depends to type of bridge .

2.Insert 4 plastic tubes and bed them in , length dependent to bridge height ,

3. Pump out access water within the plastic tubes .

4.Insert steal ''poles'' into the plastic tubes (anti -rust measures )

5. Mould some concrete ''slabs'' in a square shape with 4 placements of holes

6.Use a Crane to lower the slabs onto the ''poles'' , lining up the holes .

7.Add angle supports etc using the same method .

8. Add cross bars etc .

Added , 4 holes is for a basic bridge , you could do oblongs if you want more support for bigger bridges and have more holes .

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2023
Visit site

Oh, the hubris of men, priding themselves in creating an iconic bridge.
This substandard design expels any kudos for the creators. In fact, what imbecile designs a bridge where if one stanchion is destroyed, it brings down the entire structure? Idiocy.
The faulty design of this iconic bridge attributed to destruction and death.

Mar 28, 2024
Visit site
Where would be the limit if we start designing structures like this . The best is to avoid traffic on such existing structures that could have a potential negative impact.