Are birds technically dinosaurs?

Page 2 - For the science geek in everyone, Live Science breaks down the stories behind the most interesting news and photos on the Internet.
Mar 19, 2020
If all life perishes, there would be nothing on the planet. In the case of the dinosaurs, it is likely that a few very lucky dinos survived the meteorite, and over time evolved into birds. The meteorite did not kill all living beings, otherwise the earth would most likely be a barren wasteland. Therefore, the birds of today all trace lineage to those very lucky dinos millions of years ago, making them an extension of the dinosaur family tree.
Birds lived alongside Cretaceous dinosaurs. Birds as a seprate group diverged in the very late Jurrassic. The way evolutionary descent works means that we are Reptiliomorpha, because our ancestors decended from permian therapsids like the ugly Gorgonapsid. So yes, they are an extension of the dinosaurs.

Reactions: JeetsN123
Mar 19, 2020
If dinosaurs were annilated, then birds ARE a separate species. Dino s are not relatives. That is absurd.
1587762775195.png

Small, feathered therapods eventually diverged into birds and the groups we think of when we think 'velociraptor'. Are your grandparents still your ancestors even if they and your Aunt are dead?

Mar 19, 2020
Birds are descended from dinosaurs, but it depends on whether you think that they have evolved away from dinosaurs enough to consider them different or not. Some taxonomists, called cladists, group animals by whether they all come from one common ancestor. Therefore,they would make reptiles and birds into one group.
Not all reptiles came from dinosaurs, but all birds came from dinosaurs. If you are wondering why modern lizards do not have the same stature dinosaurs do, is because the Crocodylomorpha surrvived the extinction. But you are right that modern taxonomy is not as based on physical characteristics as it is on the phylogeny. The previous groupings are now obsolete and kept around at certain levels hust because we want to.

Reactions: JeetsN123
Mar 19, 2020
I live in the country in central North Carolina. We often see wildlife of various sorts in our yard. It never fails when I catch a wild turkey out of the corner of my eye, I am always startled by the fact that a tyrannosaurus rex is standing in my yard.
Well this is obviously sarcasm, but when you think about it, that is how it feels.

Sep 26, 2020
They're still considered to be dinosaurs, just as we're still mammals despite millions of years of evolution since the earliest placental mammal appeared.
sorry. the part about humans is NONSENSICAL suggest you take some time to Comprehend WHY this is true !!!

Oct 7, 2020
Okay, Let’s start with a question. Dinosaurs are reptile while birds, well, birds. So if birds is evolution from Dinosaurs, why are they not categorized as reptile? So I think to have the answer, we need to understand bird`s position in nature.

In 1998, there were fossils of
two new species of dinosaurs have been discovered, and they have feathers. This is when the debate started! Birds and dinosaurs happen to be shared a close revolutionary heritage.Birds Dinosaurs.png

Oct 7, 2020
So far from what I read, birds are technically evolved from a dinosaur but not from the pterosaurs.

This is because all the flying dinosaur like the pteranodon etc. was being mistaken as part of a dinosaur. They are coincidently living in the same era as the dinosaur. That's why.

Birds are eventually evolved from small, feathered, terrestrial dinosaurs.

Last edited:

Gringoz

BANNED
Oct 3, 2020
I am not sure if it is snobbery in favor of modern species, but it seems that the scientific community recognizes birds as having evolved from dinosaurs, but not actually BEING dinosaurs.

As there are a vast array of dinosaur species out there, flapping, swimming, crawling, running, jumping, lumping and otherwise dominating the landscape for many million years. Archeaopteryx were a dinosaur that could be called birds, even though they had teeth.

There are a great many articles about the creatures, which lean one way or another, but leaning toward being merely an "evolutionary link" rather than continuation:
Birds themselves have evolved to incredibly dimorphic forms, from flappy, tubby penguins to gangly flamingos to tiny hummingbirds. There are flightless birds, diving birds, soaring birds, as different from each other as the archeaopteryx is from other dinosaurs, but noone questions they are all birds.

So ARE birds dinosaurs? I'm interested in the opinions of my fellow mammals.
Griff
No birds have no teeth

ASK THE COMMUNITY

Latest posts