Elite Roman man buried with sword may have been 'restrained' in death

Jan 8, 2023
Visit site
I think it is possible that this Roman soldier and the decapitated individual might have been discovered in life performing a homosexual act.The Roman soldier would be executed for this act within the ranks, Because he was an officer, he was buried in his uniform, but face down in disgrace. While his friend was merely decapitated for his crime against the Roman legion. This could also be the case for the other Roman and citizen bodies found at the other location(s). Also a discovered infidelity with your Captains wife could mean a burial of this same type.

Aug 4, 2023
Visit site
Considering it was well known for Romans to be very open about homosexuality, I seriously doubt this theory. He might have been restrained and face down because he was a fearsome warrior who didn't fear death? Or because he fled fighting maybe? The Romans had strange burial practises including being buried in plaster because they thought it'd preserve the body for judgement day, or being surrounded by concrete slabs.

Jan 8, 2023
Visit site
Romans may have been open about homosexuality in regular civilian groups, but for someone in the armed ranks to participate in this act openly would have been a deterrent to performing their duty. Even normal heterosexual acts in their fortress camps might have been a problem as they would not be fully attentive to an enemy approaching. So I believe this was frowned upon and mostly done in secret and away from the camp. If they were flamboyant and unashamed about it in these areas, it could lead to execution based upon dereliction of duty.