Wreck of WWII battleship with Nazi symbol discovered off Norway

Please revise your article in both headline and content. A simple wikipedia check shows that the headline is wrong: the Karlsruhe was a light cruiser, not a battleship. Germany was forbidden to even commission battleships at the time. Furthermore, no WW2 era German battleships had 9 15 inch guns, the most carried were 8 on the Bismarck and Tirpitz.

The body of the article confuses centimeters for inches, making a light cruiser armament of 15 *cm* guns appear to be an armament of 38 *cm* (15 in) guns.

Thank you.

Reactions: Nite and Chem721
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
Please revise your article in both headline and content. A simple wikipedia check shows that the headline is wrong: the Karlsruhe was a light cruiser, not a battleship.

The headline is wrong, but the article calls it right, it identifies it as a cruiser throughout.

One Quote:

"The German cruiser Karlsruhe was launched in 1927 and was equipped with nine 15-inch guns. It was 570 feet (174 meters) long and could reach a top speed of 32 knots (37 mph or 59 km/h) — quite fast for the time. "

I was surprised about the report of 15 inch guns though (thanks for the correction on that), and thought they were a tad large for a cruiser. And of course a quick check tells us that only Bismarck Class battleships (two) were commissioned by the Kriegsmarine of the Third Reich with 15 inch guns. Those guns were the sole reason why the British Navy was so afraid of them. They could have destroyed the Brits beyond the range of their guns.

Sep 11, 2020
Visit site
No I don't agree. From the look of it. They look like 11in guns from The Scharnhorst. Not a light cruiser. Check the layout again.

Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
No I don't agree. From the look of it. They look like 11in guns from The Scharnhorst. Not a light cruiser. Check the layout again.

Read a bit about many of these vessels, but mostly about the Tirpitz.

According to Wiki*, the Scharnhorst was sunk on 26 December 1943 to the extreme north of Norway in the Battle of the North Cape, so the location of it's wreck is not right for this one.

I simply assumed the i.d. was made based on the article here, which strongly suggests an approximate position where the vessel must be lying due to battle reports of the day and likely area(s) of sinkings, etc., thereby providing its identity.

Quoting from the article:

"It was being refitted when World War II broke out in September 1939, and it did not see action until April 9, 1940, when it served as the flagship of an attack group during the German invasion of Norway, with Kristiansand as its main target.

The Karlsruhe had suffered hits from Norwegian artillery during the attack, but it's unclear how badly it was damaged.

It then left Kristiansand later that day, bound for Germany; along the way, it was hit by torpedoes from the British submarine Truant, which blasted large holes in the hull. Two hours later, the crew, under orders from the commander, abandoned the ship, which was then deliberately sunk by a German torpedo boat from the flotilla.

The exact location of the sunken ship was unknown for almost 80 years."

end quote.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_North_Cape

As I recall, the Scharnhorst spent a lot of time with the Tirpitz holed up along the coast of Norway, always shifting around causing a great deal of grief for the Royal Navy, but without much action! Adolf did not dare lose the Tirpitz after the disaster with the Bismark.

Last edited: