• Welcome to the Live Science Forums, a playground for those curious about humanity and the world around us. Introduce yourself here!

Would you ever volunteer to go to space, if you knew you'd never come back?

So much scifi is based around the idea that earth becomes uninhabitable, and that earthlings would eventually colonise. But considering there's no sign of a "Class M" (sorry for the Star Trek term, I don't know the real one) anywhere near, I was wondering what sort of considerations would be made for volunteers to just "Boldly Go" as it were.

I know there's talks of Mars colony stuff and obviously the travel takes a long time, so they'd have to recruit quite young, so I guess the question is, If NASA ever approached you to go to space to start a colony and never come back, would you go, and what would your provisos be?

Wifi?

:ROFLMAO:

Nov 19, 2019
Hmmm. I think I'd go if:

-I knew what food I could grow on this place I was going to (and was provided with, like twenty years' rations or something.
-Had a primary comms mechanism that also had SEVERAL fail-safe provisions
-And, yeah, definitely some sort of Wifi.

Reactions: sward
Nov 19, 2019
My problem is the travel/ journey time. I'd need some sort of constant video or facetime thing to stay perpetually in contact with the folks back on Earth. Of course, that's hard to guarantee considering I'll likely be travelling very far, but i'm definitely gonna gripe about it to whoever's in charge of our mission. How will I know when my favourite music has gone out of style?!

jeanna

Editor In Chief
Staff member
Nov 20, 2019
Never. I just couldn't do it - I'd miss my twin sister and my family! But I'd love for some sort of virtual reality were created that could immerse me in a "space life." I would love to travel to the bottom of the deep sea to experience all the alien-like life down there.

Nov 26, 2019
I would go tomorrow morning with no conditions attached. Just get me off of this rock already!

I have always felt like this planet is a prison. I feel like the sky is too small, there’s not enough land, the fauna is not diverse enough.

When I first heard that Jupiter was 1300 times the size of Earth that was all I needed to hear.

Nothing to see here folks, move along!

Reactions: jeanna
Nov 26, 2019
Yep! Why not? Since this is a fantasy why not include suspended animation to resolve the time/distance issue? I would think that interstellar travel to another galaxy would be sufficient to require a lottery to decide among the many who would gladly sign on. When do we leave? 'duc

Reactions: sward and jeanna
Nov 26, 2019
While, yes, it would be very hard to give up so many creature comforts and family for a one way trip it would so totally be worth it. First off to be one of the intrepid first (Name added to history I'd presume) would be an amazing honor. Secondly its in the nature of life to push the limits and reach out and explore new territories. It'd be like the people of old crossing an ocean not knowing where they might land up and that it would be a one way trip.
That and I'm into IT and spacey science things so I'd have a lot to keep me entertained while travelling. Ooooo and if we're going the scifi route can my consciousness be uploaded for the journey so I can leave my mortal coil behind???

Reactions: Ja31971 and sward

ASK THE COMMUNITY