Would you ever volunteer to go to space, if you knew you'd never come back?

So much scifi is based around the idea that earth becomes uninhabitable, and that earthlings would eventually colonise. But considering there's no sign of a "Class M" (sorry for the Star Trek term, I don't know the real one) anywhere near, I was wondering what sort of considerations would be made for volunteers to just "Boldly Go" as it were.

I know there's talks of Mars colony stuff and obviously the travel takes a long time, so they'd have to recruit quite young, so I guess the question is, If NASA ever approached you to go to space to start a colony and never come back, would you go, and what would your provisos be?

Wifi?

:ROFLMAO:

Nov 19, 2019
Visit site
Hmmm. I think I'd go if:

-I knew what food I could grow on this place I was going to (and was provided with, like twenty years' rations or something.
-Had a primary comms mechanism that also had SEVERAL fail-safe provisions
-And, yeah, definitely some sort of Wifi.

Reactions: sward
Nov 19, 2019
Visit site
My problem is the travel/ journey time. I'd need some sort of constant video or facetime thing to stay perpetually in contact with the folks back on Earth. Of course, that's hard to guarantee considering I'll likely be travelling very far, but i'm definitely gonna gripe about it to whoever's in charge of our mission. How will I know when my favourite music has gone out of style?!

jeanna

Editor In Chief
Staff member
Nov 20, 2019
Visit site
Never. I just couldn't do it - I'd miss my twin sister and my family! But I'd love for some sort of virtual reality were created that could immerse me in a "space life." I would love to travel to the bottom of the deep sea to experience all the alien-like life down there.

Nov 26, 2019
Visit site
I would go tomorrow morning with no conditions attached. Just get me off of this rock already!

I have always felt like this planet is a prison. I feel like the sky is too small, there’s not enough land, the fauna is not diverse enough.

When I first heard that Jupiter was 1300 times the size of Earth that was all I needed to hear.

Nothing to see here folks, move along!

Nov 26, 2019
Visit site
Yep! Why not? Since this is a fantasy why not include suspended animation to resolve the time/distance issue? I would think that interstellar travel to another galaxy would be sufficient to require a lottery to decide among the many who would gladly sign on. When do we leave? 'duc

Nov 26, 2019
Visit site
While, yes, it would be very hard to give up so many creature comforts and family for a one way trip it would so totally be worth it. First off to be one of the intrepid first (Name added to history I'd presume) would be an amazing honor. Secondly its in the nature of life to push the limits and reach out and explore new territories. It'd be like the people of old crossing an ocean not knowing where they might land up and that it would be a one way trip.
That and I'm into IT and spacey science things so I'd have a lot to keep me entertained while travelling. Ooooo and if we're going the scifi route can my consciousness be uploaded for the journey so I can leave my mortal coil behind???

Nov 20, 2019
Visit site
Never. I just couldn't do it - I'd miss my twin sister and my family! But I'd love for some sort of virtual reality were created that could immerse me in a "space life." I would love to travel to the bottom of the deep sea to experience all the alien-like life down there.
Hahaha, like seriously stay in space for life. No can't do that either, will miss my twin bro, family an the Africa am blessed with my home.

Jan 2, 2020
Visit site
Yes my insatiable need to learn would be happy to have the time. Even in a generation ship where I wouldn't get to see the new home my descendants will finally land on.

Reactions: April
So much scifi is based around the idea that earth becomes uninhabitable, and that earthlings would eventually colonise. But considering there's no sign of a "Class M" (sorry for the Star Trek term, I don't know the real one) anywhere near, I was wondering what sort of considerations would be made for volunteers to just "Boldly Go" as it were.

I know there's talks of Mars colony stuff and obviously the travel takes a long time, so they'd have to recruit quite young, so I guess the question is, If NASA ever approached you to go to space to start a colony and never come back, would you go, and what would your provisos be?

Wifi?

Wifi?

Yes, I'd go. Just to escape from Donald J. Trump and his clones, if for no other reason. Read my sci-fi novel, "The Shadow of Olympus," if you want to meet some near future colonists of Mars , most of whom will never return to Earth. These are ordinary people who do some extraordinary things to make a home for themselves and their children on the red planet. Barnes&Noble .com and Amazon.com both have it. E. M. Smith, author.

Jan 5, 2020
Visit site
When I was younger it sounded like fun. I wanted to go to space camp and my parents almost sent me. Having cerebral palsy, they were always out to prove I was going to have a life of no barriers. Period. No one was even going to KNOW I had cerebral palsy. And we did it too well because now no one believes me when I say I have it. My 41 years old actually wouldn't be a barrier. Looks like the private space company recruited as old as 50ish man. And quite possibly a lower g environment would be kind to my slight muscle spasticity. But I'm more interested today in high efficiency micro farming because being a truck driver is scaring me a bit about the sustainability of our economy. Hopefully I can buy a couple acres and try to develop a fairly closed little ecosystem. So as of today I'm way more down to earth than dreaming of the stars.

Feb 24, 2020
Visit site
Totally. I'd write about what I knew of earth and maybe our history would survive in some sense at least. After people destroy the planet and or each other we will all be forgotten. Ok that was morbid. I live in Delhi India. Here and all over the world there is so much hate and violence it all seems unending. I wonder if there will be a time when we stop fighting and start learning together. What could our species do if we focused on moving forward and creating wonderful new things. (P.s.I don't drink or do drugs so this isn't a bunch of hippie dippy baloney just a wish from a middle aged mom who sees lots of sadness in this place but sees all the potential we have) take care everybody!

Jan 1, 2020
Visit site
No I dont think I'd like that -not after all of the tests a would be astronaught would have to go through -I'll stick to watching history being made when it comes to space travel. I like to imagine that time travel is possible