Question With ongoing social distancing, what are some things you used to take for granted?

Page 3 - For the science geek in everyone, Live Science breaks down the stories behind the most interesting news and photos on the Internet.
May 5, 2020
Visit site
Movies, rubbing alcohol, toilet paper, eating out once a week, eating what I want daily. Now, I'm not watching movies, not sterilizing surfaces with hypoallergenic liquids, "over-washing a washcloth", eating only at home, and often stuck eating whole grain foods plus peanut butter plus vitamins.

May 10, 2020
Visit site
I definitely miss going outside whenever I like. Before, if I wanted to take a walk, there was no reason I shouldn't, but now I hardly ever get to go outside because I then have to awkwardly move to the other side of the street whenever another person is there.
I was outside yesterday. my feeling was the same!

May 14, 2020
Visit site
Isolation and social distancing. Back in the time when the scourge that was raving was the ongoing problem of Tuberculosis, the remedy for its treatment was isolation and social distancing. As one of many who survived the onslaught of TB, in the early 1960's, was to be quarantined in a TB ward safe from infecting others from the disease. I was in a ward with twenty others who shared the same disorder, earlier called the wasting, People complain about the length of time spent in isolation and how inconvenient it is. If they believe three months is a long time; they should try one whole year. This one year of isolation was mandatory for all TB patients.
Many of those who are against the Stay at home order whine, "Do you have to disrupt my mundane existence with fact. I don't care if I spread the plague to others, who in turn may die, I don't care. Especially, if those who die are the elderly. They are old anyway."

May 16, 2020
Visit site
Hi! I was generally a person who feels much better to meet and greet people affectionately, and with that 'Social-distancing', I miss that 'tactile-society' I was used to, and because of the 'social-distancing', I have more sensitice to acertain word being used, and asked people who support me to trefrain from using that word where I can hear, whilst we are still in lockdown, until it becomes back to being a 'more tactile-society'. (I hope they lift these 'social-distancing' measures by Christmas, as New Year especially is the time I am needing that 'close contact' with my friends as none of my fellow housemates stay up till past midnight to see the New Year in. It does not help with the Coronavirus pandemic, as it makes it even harder to find a new match.

May 12, 2020
Visit site
Wel, getting to keep Social Distancing many people always forgotten to take 10meters space at least and taken for granted to cover your mouth with bent elbow when Sneezing🗣....

May 12, 2020
Visit site
I just miss going out and exploring. There has been a lot of new growth in my city with new restaurants and shops opening in the past few months and I always liked to pick one of them and stop in and see what's up, what they have to offer, etc. Now I can't really do that.
Hello how are you?

May 17, 2020
Visit site
I miss the simplicity of not having to be hyper aware of proximity to strangers, touching public surfaces, ordering food or casual conversation. I've always been a little cautious, but now I feel much more uneasy than previously.

May 17, 2020
Visit site
Anybody concerned about the satellites flying around day and night? Anybody, think that it is a coincidence that this is happening in the height of a pandemic and nobody asked me for permission to cover the over head skies with this atrocity. Anybody concerned?
YES! My biggest concern is they will not only be allowed to stay but will be increased for surveillance in case of future outbreaks. The same with drones and public cameras.

Mar 7, 2020
Visit site
Movies, rubbing alcohol, toilet paper, eating out once a week, eating what I want daily. Now, I'm not watching movies, not sterilizing surfaces with hypoallergenic liquids, "over-washing a washcloth", eating only at home, and often stuck eating whole grain foods plus peanut butter plus vitamins.
Watch movies online Instead? I don’t I have to sterilize my surfaces because I live alone and no one has been here except my cats. Why don’t you go to store and put a mask on and buy a bunch of groceries? You can eat restaurant food if you take it home with you, unpacked the bag and then wash your hands real good. If you are an essential worker you may not be able to afford much food and if you’re not working you could probably get food stamps, the only good thing about poverty. Can you get unemployment and PUA? If you have a computer and Internet it’s not hard just time-consuming. Good luck!

Apr 7, 2020
Visit site
The 6 foot distance is arbitrary . It does not take into consideration air currents, which can carry an infectious aerosol for two or three times that distance. Thus don't think one is safe once the 6 foot distance is maintained. Sure, six feet is safer than 4 feet, and 10 feet is safer than 6 feet, etc. The line from your living room to the nearest person outside your residence is probably the safest distance to maintain. Stay home unless absolutely necessary.
When you are inside a closed facility like a grocery store, I don't think there is any safe distance because the air currents from the HVAC will spread the virus all over the place. The virus gets diluted but it only takes one or a few virus particles to infect a person. The virus then multiplies inside the body and it is all over. An infected person spews out billions of virus particles and only one has to hit you in the eye. The particles are so small, a trillion would fit inside a pin head. I think this is the reason many poor countries which have few closed facilities have 20 to 1800 times lower infection rates per million people. The key to coronavirus control is open ventilation. Vietnam knows that and they have zero deaths and very few infections but the western experts have been blindsided by this 6 foot safe distance and handwashing which are not nearly enough though necessary.

Jun 22, 2020
Visit site
Air pollution raising asthma rates and a diet high in processed food which has resulted in the current diabetes epidemic and a higher rate of obesity are indeed strong factors in the pandemic here in NY. A positive side effect is going to be greater awareness, a change in diet and switching to renewable fuels for the better health of all.

Air pollution raising asthma rates and a diet high in processed food which has resulted in the current diabetes epidemic and a higher rate of obesity are indeed strong factors in the pandemic here in NY. A positive side effect is going to be greater awareness, a change in diet and switching to renewable fuels for the better health of all.
I hope, but really anyone who doesn't already know those things is very likely to not care

Jun 25, 2020
Visit site
Police state? Dun think so... China is a police state, and their rate of infections was way lower than ours. We're still free, and the rate of infections shows it. A Police State would have had far fewer infections than we do since the populace would be forcibly quarantined, but that isn't happening here.
What is happening here is an attempt to slow the rate of infections by restricting known methods of transfer. That's not like a police state, that's just concern and attempted protection.
When the constitution, either Federal or State, utilizes any "emergency" clause... the state is automatically put under guidance that is not negotiable or need have any resemblance to the original document. This is the purpose of creating such a condition; otherwise it becomes optional and non-enforceable. To say it is "just concern and attempted protection" is delusional. The side of police squad vehicles display "to serve and protect", various groups across our great nation (and I say that with the utmost pride in our country) will challenge those words as actions, albeit only a handful of actions, speak louder than words.

Jun 25, 2020
Visit site
Isolation and social distancing. Back in the time when the scourge that was raving was the ongoing problem of Tuberculosis, the remedy for its treatment was isolation and social distancing. As one of many who survived the onslaught of TB, in the early 1960's, was to be quarantined in a TB ward safe from infecting others from the disease. I was in a ward with twenty others who shared the same disorder, earlier called the wasting, People complain about the length of time spent in isolation and how inconvenient it is. If they believe three months is a long time; they should try one whole year. This one year of isolation was mandatory for all TB patients.
Many of those who are against the Stay at home order whine, "Do you have to disrupt my mundane existence with fact. I don't care if I spread the plague to others, who in turn may die, I don't care. Especially, if those who die are the elderly. They are old anyway."
I agree with elements in your post. Quarantining an ill person makes perfect sense and a TB patient is an excellent example, I grew up in an area that was initially established for people who contracted TB during the past century. What is irritating is quarantining people on the suspicion or not knowing if that person is infectious. It is a good chance that I may be one of the older Posters on this site or for that matter any site which means I could be at greater risk than most... isolating people who have not tested positive for Covid-19 is not the answer. When a person is in prison and they commit some offense that requires additional attention, depending on what prison it is and the offense, their punishment is isolation. Heck, the population of the prison is mostly isolated when they are in their cells but the Officials understand the impact that this kind of separation affects the offender.

What I took for granted was that someone wearing a mask was not themselves infected and neither was someone without a mask six feet away. Anyone with symptoms I took for granted should have self-isolated, stayed home. I have also taken for granted that anyone testing negative is immune from testing positive a few days later. I see no end to this cycle. The same seems to be true for the influenza flu for which no testing took place. The flu vaccine was ineffective as the CDC continued to make new versions necessary.

What I took for granted was that someone wearing a mask was not themselves infected and neither was someone without a mask six feet away. Anyone with symptoms I took for granted should have self-isolated, stayed home. I have also taken for granted that anyone testing negative is immune from testing positive a few days later. I see no end to this cycle. The same seems to be true for the influenza flu for which no testing took place. The flu vaccine was ineffective as the CDC continued to make new versions necessary.
It becomes ineffective because the virus changes.