Question With ongoing social distancing, what are some things you used to take for granted?

Page 2 - For the science geek in everyone, Live Science breaks down the stories behind the most interesting news and photos on the Internet.
Apr 11, 2020
Visit site
Police state? Dun think so... China is a police state, and their rate of infections was way lower than ours.

That's funny... whistleblowers INSIDE China tell a completely different story.

In Wuhan and surrounding Hubei Province a couple million cell phones have dropped off the network and yet to come back on.

By all non-governmental accounts, there was mass carnage in China.

Any and all doctors in clinical settings that tried to speak publicly about what they were seeing in China were arrested or have "disappeared".

China and the Chinese people are an amazing people with an unparalleled rich history of culture, art and science.

The CCP (Chinese Communist Party) is NOT representative of the sum of who and what China is or was, and to suggest they are honest about anything is a complete refutation of all history and academy about the CCP.

Apr 16, 2020
Visit site
I miss my civil rights that are being infringed upon with very weak science to support the effectiveness of these draconian measures. Just pulled the graph for Michigan regarding cases. Straight upward spiral of cases almost mirroring New York. What's missing is that hiccup or pause in the rise of cases from social distancing. Doesn't exist.

Also concerned that this publication has pushed the idea that this being released from a lab was not possible. Now the evidence is leading to that being likely.

Conversely there is a also ZERO proof this virus wasn't manufactured and your publication has pushed that narrative as well.

Science?

Reactions: EastofMaeWest
Dec 18, 2019
Visit site
Good Morning,

I am happy with the less people on the road and less vehicles and less pollution.

This is refresher, reminder and an alert to all regarding safety standards to be maintained regarding the health and cleanliness to be practiced and followed by all.

I suggest this lock down and social distance is to be ob served b y self at least once a month as a rule.

Regards
Uma

Reactions: aspenbs
Apr 23, 2020
Visit site
I miss seeing children playing in school yard or neighborhood. I miss visiting seniors in nursing home. I miss the warmness typically conveyed between shoppers in supermarket and sharing where an item may be found. Now nobody speaks and rarely makes eye contact. Children rarely at supermarket now. I miss an occasional meal at restaurant with friends.

Reactions: aspenbs
Apr 23, 2020
Visit site
Anybody concerned about the satellites flying around day and night? Anybody, think that it is a coincidence that this is happening in the height of a pandemic and nobody asked me for permission to cover the over head skies with this atrocity. Anybody concerned?

Anybody concerned about the satellites flying around day and night? Anybody, think that it is a coincidence that this is happening in the height of a pandemic and nobody asked me for permission to cover the over head skies with this atrocity. Anybody concerned?
It is more that you can see them better now due to improved air quality and less light polution from workplaces and people driving cars.

Apr 23, 2020
Visit site

Definitely privacy and civil liberties cooncerns. NJ police using Chinese drones for surveillance of social distancing violations. Estimates are that 850k Chinese drones in use by USA police. These drones are transmitting data to China through satellites. USA National Security concerned that data demonstrates to China topographical sites where larger numbers of people congregate. I suspect the satellites are both US and Chinese as local PDs need data from drones. These drones should be destroyed if transmission to China cannot be discontinued. And drones shouldn't be used for surveillance of US citizens just to enforce social distancing.

I am deeply concerned about individual privacy and our precious civil liberties will quickly disappear.

I think they were talking about satelites, which everyone uses and are most likely not spying on you. But drones transmitting to china, while I am suspicious of where you got that from is a privacy concern that needs to be addressed.

Apr 23, 2020
Visit site
I’m talking about space x. They are going to grid the entire world with30,000 satellites. There are only 2,000 normal ones there now. Only 9,000 ever launched. Now the entire sky will be full of them by the end of the year. Why? They claim for internet service to the globe. I call bullshit! Why would every country agree to allow this? Only 1 answer, he will agree to give them access to their airspace. Get ready for the lockdown, the watchtowers are already active. 640 of them to be exact.

You can see the satallites and their design perameters on the internet. They are pretty easy to tell that they aren't the kind of satillites that has the advanced camera that can see the ground in relative detail.

CParsons

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 4, 2019
Visit site
I think they were talking about satelites, which everyone uses and are most likely not spying on you. But drones transmitting to china, while I am suspicious of where you got that from is a privacy concern that needs to be addressed.

DHS issued a report back in May of 2019 (https://www.cyberscoop.com/dhs-chinese-drones-warning/) with warnings about the potential of data being sent to China but at that time there were precautionary measures that could be taken. Then in Nov/Dec of 2019, the Department of Interior grounded their fleet of drones as the concerns grew and relations with Chinese organizations got rockier over the Huawei stuff. (https://dronelife.com/2019/11/01/u-s-department-of-interior-grounds-dji-drones/)

Reactions: hellopunyhumans
Apr 23, 2020
Visit site
The camera on my ell phone, with the correct lense, can look down into your yard from “near earth orbit”. This is not a good thing. Something is wrong. Not sure what it is but it’s not my bad internet connection that’s for sure.

Apr 23, 2020
Visit site
"But drones transmitting to china, while I am suspicious of where you got that from is a privacy concern that needs to be addressed."

Reactions: hellopunyhumans
Apr 24, 2020
Visit site
I like to have conversations with whomever I meet on the street. Some are fearful and I have to respect this. I find, however, that most are happy to have someone to speak with.
I have one objection, however to the term "social distancing". "Social distancing" is a metaphysical concept that cannot be measured in feet and inches although it can have a physical dimension secondarily. Sometimes one is better off with lots of social distancing as when you don't want your kids involving themselves with psychopaths. Under those circumstances there cannot be enough social distancing. Social distancing in a medical environment can be damaging to individuals. It has been found that in a positive social environment in a hospital setting, individuals need less pain medicine and have lowered morbidity and mortality. In a negative environment or isolation, the opposite is the case.
I think the term should be changed. As a scientist, precision in language is critical. I object to any form of philosophical deconstructionism in language and the use of neologisms except when it is logically necessary (such as when St. Thomas Aquinas developed the term transubstantiation to define a specific theological concept while developing Aristotelian philosophy).
Technically and practically the term "physical distancing is more appropriate. Generally the term "medical distancing" would apply. Specifically, the term "epidemiological control distancing" is more specific, but for general use, although it is a little more awkward linguistically, I would recommend "physical distancing" instead of "social distancing".

Apr 23, 2020
Visit site
Technically and practically the term "physical distancing is more appropriate. Generally the term "medical distancing" would apply. Specifically, the term "epidemiological control distancing" is more specific, but for general use, although it is a little more awkward linguistically, I would recommend "physical distancing" instead of "social distancing".

A physician in Hawaii has already stated such in a video about mask wearing. Social distancing implies we totally withdraw from contact with society including technological modes.

Mar 19, 2020
Visit site
I am really used to seeing people in the park next door when we walk our dogs. For the past month, almost nobody has been out there, and if they are, they have face masks on, as do I!. Weird.

Attachments

• IMG_2079 - Edited.jpg
    IMG_2079 - Edited.jpg
    462.9 KB · Views: 0
Apr 26, 2020
Visit site
Why Nature produces virus?! It is by chance or it is produced as normal force reaction against a action? If it is as reaction it must be due a natural system being under pression of something that the system translates as a virus function. So, coronavirus should be a system's antybody. If against Humans, are we behaving like a virus? Well, we are cutting out the respiratory system of this planet (with cement, asphalt), and prejudicing biosphere internal circulation (petroil). This is just how the virus kills humans, respiration and blood circulation. I am applying the time at this social distancing trying to understand the cause of this social distancing for avoiding future repetitions. We still are blind in relation to deepest details of Nature, and we are paying hard price for this missing knowledge. Let's go putting our minds and hands at searching it.

Going out and travelling daily to work and home. Missing my gym but doing some exercises at home. Want to out and meet my friends. Hope this will end soon and I didn't celebrate my birthday because of lockdown.

Apr 27, 2020
Visit site
Oh I can totally understand. I hesitate even visiting my gran. I just talk to her over a video chat. Fortunately she is well - she stays with my mum although she has an independent entrance to the house. Everyone is being careful in their lives. As my gran says - this too shall pass.

Apr 7, 2020
Visit site
The 6 foot distance is arbitrary . It does not take into consideration air currents, which can carry an infectious aerosol for two or three times that distance. Thus don't think one is safe once the 6 foot distance is maintained. Sure, six feet is safer than 4 feet, and 10 feet is safer than 6 feet, etc. The line from your living room to the nearest person outside your residence is probably the safest distance to maintain. Stay home unless absolutely necessary.
You are 100% right and one of the few who recognize that.
The virus can be airborne, I don't think there is any safe distance in an enclosed facility like a grocery store or multi residency buildings due to air current from HVAC. All the advanced countries have 100 to 200 times the infection rates compared to all the underdeveloped countries which have very few HVAC systems.

I wrote a 7-page article report explaining this and tried to send it to the powers there are but they do not accept any communication. They have their blinders on and cannot see the forest for the trees. The article is uploaded on my google drive. You can access it with this link. There is a separate folder for references.