Why do horses wear shoes?

Jan 21, 2020
Visit site
I have seen police horses wearing these rubber shoes. I saw a cop peal one of these off the hoof to clean it, and put it back on. They are shaped like the hoof, and you stretch them and turn them inside out to remove them. To put them back on, you turn them inside out, place them on the hoof, and then turn them back outside out with them now around the hoof. The horses seemed to not mind them at all, and it looked like a real cool way of putting shoes on a horse. No nails, can be removed, and cleaned out, and can be put back on in seconds

Reactions: Dmitry
Jan 23, 2023
Visit site
Horses are shod for three reasons; protection, correction, traction. Horses can work barefoot as long as the hoof is not wearing down faster than it can grow, this is where you need the protection of shoes. Wild horses naturally wear their hooves as they are covering large areas to graze and get water water so they rarely overgrow. Wild horses are not on artificial surfaces like hard roads. There is no demand on the wild Horse to perform with the rider so therefore nature looks after itself.

Reactions: TheOstrich
Dec 22, 2019
Visit site
I have seen police horses wearing these rubber shoes. I saw a cop peal one of these off the hoof to clean it, and put it back on. They are shaped like the hoof, and you stretch them and turn them inside out to remove them. To put them back on, you turn them inside out, place them on the hoof, and then turn them back outside out with them now around the hoof. The horses seemed to not mind them at all, and it looked like a real cool way of putting shoes on a horse. No nails, can be removed, and cleaned out, and can be put back on in seconds
Yes, absolutely a great way of caring! But there is still necessary to take care of a horn-like material that grows continuously and has to be trimmed! Otherwise it will break down the rubber shoes!