Why can't earthquakes and asteroids destroy the Earth?

miner

BANNED
Dec 12, 2020
Visit site
A short article (2 pages): Why can't earthquakes and asteroids destroy the Earth? https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=4104560

Abstract
Imagine an Apocalypse in which the Earth is split apart by a tremendous subterranean shock: - The halves of the planet slowly separate and begin to rotate chaotically, crushing each other with a horrible, hellish crash, while oceans of water and fiery magma fill the ruins of cities... Is it a horror movie? No, this is a very real picture of Armageddon, which can happen at any moment of our lives. Fortunately for the 4 billion years of the Earth's existence, the horrible Apocalypse scenario has not come true, although in the history of our planet many times there have been catastrophic earthquakes of great power. But if the rocks of the Earth's crust and mantle can produce a monstrous force in the form of a catastrophic underground shock, why is our planet still intact? There is a strong belief that the planet Earth, in order to protect itself, has found a mechanism of protection against the inexorable process of formation and release of catastrophic levels of energy. Today we can say that this is indeed the case, and this mechanism is an earthquake shock absorber.

Did such an event not already happen once and created the moon?

How did the Moon form?
What is most widely accepted today is the giant-impact theory. It proposes that the Moon formed during a collision between the Earth and another small planet, about the size of Mars. The debris from this impact collected in an orbit around Earth to form the Moon.
Before Earth and the Moon, there were proto-Earth and Theia (a roughly Mars-sized planet).
The giant-impact model suggests that at some point in Earth's very early history, these two bodies collided.
During this massive collision, nearly all of Earth and Theia melted and reformed as one body, with a small part of the new mass spinning off to become the Moon as we know it.
Scientists have experimented with modelling the impact, changing the size of Theia to test what happens at different sizes and impact angles, trying to get the nearest possible match.
'People are now tending to gravitate towards the idea that early Earth and Theia were made of almost exactly the same materials to begin with, as they were within the same neighbourhood as the solar system was forming,' explains Sara.
more ........

miner

BANNED
Dec 12, 2020
Visit site
Did such an event not already happen once and created the moon?

How did the Moon form?

Before Earth and the Moon, there were proto-Earth and Theia (a roughly Mars-sized planet). more ........
I think you put your comment in the wrong place, this is a topic about earthquakes. Open a new topic about the formation of the moon, people will be interested.

It depends on how you define "destroy". With my definition, I believe it has happened before. Several times. There should be no question as the whether an asteroid could destroy the earth. We have seen collisions on Jupiter, that would melt us quickly.

If a series of quakes, could loose several mega volcanoes, or many volcanoes erupted at the same time, it could overload our environmental balance for a very long time. Huge die offs of all species.

But if staying more or less a spherical planet is surviving, then I guess they can't destroy earth.

It's kinda awkward or strange way to ask that question. It's the property of inertia to resist and react, and reset change. As far as the mass of the earth is concerned.

That would be my take on the question. Didn't they have a large region in Russia, where volcanoes erupted for years and years, long ago? That should have affected the environment, big time. Just guessing, it's not my field.

But I do believe that an asteroid is the greatest danger to our climate, without doubt. And that is what is needed to prepare for. Every country should chip in now. If we don't have warning time.....we die. We need much more time.

miner

BANNED
Dec 12, 2020
Visit site
Your opening post cited:

But if question was too general in scope, I'll refrain from further comment.
You should not be offended, the topic of the Moon is quite interesting in itself and it would be more correct to separate it into a separate topic. This is just my suggestion, but you can do as you please.

miner

BANNED
Dec 12, 2020
Visit site
I received two letters from very serious scientific people with a review of my work. Both of them are well-known geologists in their environment. Unfortunately, all their objections boiled down to a non-serious saying: This can not be, because it does not happen. I think that's why they wrote me in private, they were just afraid to enter into a public discussion. We are all engaged in science on this forum, so why are some people shy to express their opinions?

miner

BANNED
Dec 12, 2020
Visit site
Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor? .....View attachment 1953
It has been observed that big scientists are reluctant to participate in forums. And that would be great! They would pass on their thoughts, knowledge, and hypotheses to others. On such soil the seeds of science would give good harvests. So what is their prudence and valor? I think it's just plain cowardice or conceit.

On such soil the seeds of science would give good harvests. So what is their prudence and valor? I think it's just plain cowardice or conceit.

Much as I admire scientists, I recall one of David Bohm's complaints that science has become so specialized, that it has become fractured and lost the ability to relate to certain "common denominators" that tend to confirm or debunk certain specializations and could be of great value in testing hypotheses of certain aspects of organic cellular structures.

The very specialization prevents them from participating in a more generalized discussion suitable for consumption by the interested public such as myself.

When a subject interests me, I read the narratives available on that subject . I seldom bother with the maths as I am sure the mathematics are correct, but seldom explain the "premise" on which the logic is founded. If I understand the narrative, I understand the "concept" and all I seek is "understanding".

I remember the thrill when as a boy I read Einstein's narratives on "special relativity" and his narration how the doppler effect creates two different realities when observed from different POV.

Last edited:
miner, my friend and colleague at arms,(fellow Contrarian)

I have read your posts and articles, and have tried to discern them, to be able to discuss them with you. But your field is foreign to me. You are not the only person trying to present new and different perspectives about present theories. And at present, with all these new social theories and morality standards, frank discussion has been lost on any discussions. Everything is painted now.

Those private letters were a courtesy and a respect for you, by fellow academics. It was proper civil and professional conduct. People don't accept new ideas, unless it's a bad one. Don't ask me why.

It is not just scientists that are leery of posting. Have you been to a US higher learning institution lately? Where is the free expression of opinion welcomed? Where and what are the debates? The civility? The common decency? The tolerance of opinion? The diversity of ideas? The birth of intellect? Our most highly trained objectifiers(law students, journalism students) now form mobs against speaking guests. Did you ever? Who is teaching these students? Where have our civil standards gone? Debates win others, not violence. How does this help society? Why doesn't our media ask these questions? Our media roots for this kind of behavior. These are suppose to be professional journalists. Not frenzy makers. For viewership or clicks. Only capitalists would do that, right? It's all so hypocritical. And so phony.

Free expression is censored. And now, there truly is a silenced majority.

Surely, you realize this.

Reactions: write4u

miner

BANNED
Dec 12, 2020
Visit site
miner, my friend and colleague at arms,(fellow Contrarian)

I have read your posts and articles, and have tried to discern them, to be able to discuss them with you. But your field is foreign to me. You are not the only person trying to present new and different perspectives about present theories. And at present, with all these new social theories and morality standards, frank discussion has been lost on any discussions. Everything is painted now.

Those private letters were a courtesy and a respect for you, by fellow academics. It was proper civil and professional conduct. People don't accept new ideas, unless it's a bad one. Don't ask me why.

It is not just scientists that are leery of posting. Have you been to a US higher learning institution lately? Where is the free expression of opinion welcomed? Where and what are the debates? The civility? The common decency? The tolerance of opinion? The diversity of ideas? The birth of intellect? Our most highly trained objectifiers(law students, journalism students) now form mobs against speaking guests. Did you ever? Who is teaching these students? Where have our civil standards gone? Debates win others, not violence. How does this help society? Why doesn't our media ask these questions? Our media roots for this kind of behavior. These are suppose to be professional journalists. Not frenzy makers. For viewership or clicks. Only capitalists would do that, right? It's all so hypocritical. And so phony.

Free expression is censored. And now, there truly is a silenced majority.

Surely, you realize this.
Hypotheses can be proposed or disproved, but they must always be present in our social and scientific life, they must flourish and hover in society. Why is this not happening in real life? In my opinion, the point is not that society has become fragmented and very, very specific; the point is that we have elected and enthroned scientific idols, who, due to their egoism, have become not the engines of scientific progress, but its brake on it. Scientific society is like any organic organism, it develops and obeys the laws of social development. The simple question is: why do academics stay away and try to attack from the corner? Because if they lose, they lose the financial benefits. If they lose, someone else will climb to the top of Olympus and get good money. It's called evolution and there's not much we can do about it. But... at least we can not keep our mouths shut. We can always topple our scientific idol from its pedestal if it has become a brake on scientific progress. It is in our power!!!

Reactions: write4u
Oh, there is no question about that. If you want to corrupt a worthwhile endeavor, institutionalize it.

Our Founders tried to limit this, but our oath takers have failed to do so. It's our largest and most corrupt institution now. And politically sires other favorable institutions.

In all my life, I would have never dreamt that in retirement, I would witness such things in my country. It's a nightmare. And very worrisome for the next generation. This use to be such a great country. I don't think they will ever know what freedom was. 3rd world politics has consumed us. Makes me feel icky.

miner

BANNED
Dec 12, 2020
Visit site
Oh, there is no question about that. If you want to corrupt a worthwhile endeavor, institutionalize it.

Our Founders tried to limit this, but our oath takers have failed to do so. It's our largest and most corrupt institution now. And politically sires other favorable institutions.

In all my life, I would have never dreamt that in retirement, I would witness such things in my country. It's a nightmare. And very worrisome for the next generation. This use to be such a great country. I don't think they will ever know what freedom was. 3rd world politics has consumed us. Makes me feel icky.
It's all sad, but don't forget that the new always replaces the old. The world moves in the direction from childhood, youth, maturity to old age, and no matter how old academics and politicians try to stall development, victory will always be on the side of the new and blossoming future. Cheer up!

The hardest thing in the world is to reduce government authority. Just look at man's history. And institutional authority has become the justification for government and legal authority. Replacing "we the people". These institutional authorities are funded and supported by the government authority. Anything wrong about this setup? This hi-class corruption.

Dark days ahead my friend. Make gardening a family affair this summer and learn to hunt and scrounge. A long lost skill. Don't count on grid power. Or fuel for your cars. Build a still and gather crab apples. Get back to nature and all that great karma. Can you imagine today's society trying to live with 1880s tech? Whale oil anyone? How bout coal oil? Where do we put all the manure? Nobody remembers these times. he he.

I'll bet Europe will starve for energy this summer. The shortages and inflation will occupy them, leaving them un-prepared for winter energy needs. Even with $40 billion. Watch and see. All they need now, is a heat wave. And if we ship fuel to them, our prices will rise, with the present restrictions on fossil fuels. I think Europe is in a real turmoil. Much more than reported.

And it appears the same will occur here too. And of all places, Texas already has supply grid problems. Texas blackout. And after that winter blackout a few yrs ago. I would have lost money on that bet.

Things happen so fast now, it's anybodies guess about the future. But it's bound to be an interesting summer. Russia might repent and replace, then supply all the fuel and grain needed. He he. A bright future indeed.

I'm hopeful.

miner

BANNED
Dec 12, 2020
Visit site
The hardest thing in the world is to reduce government authority. Just look at man's history. And institutional authority has become the justification for government and legal authority. Replacing "we the people". These institutional authorities are funded and supported by the government authority. Anything wrong about this setup? This hi-class corruption.

Dark days ahead my friend. Make gardening a family affair this summer and learn to hunt and scrounge. A long lost skill. Don't count on grid power. Or fuel for your cars. Build a still and gather crab apples. Get back to nature and all that great karma. Can you imagine today's society trying to live with 1880s tech? Whale oil anyone? How bout coal oil? Where do we put all the manure? Nobody remembers these times. he he.

I'll bet Europe will starve for energy this summer. The shortages and inflation will occupy them, leaving them un-prepared for winter energy needs. Even with $40 billion. Watch and see. All they need now, is a heat wave. And if we ship fuel to them, our prices will rise, with the present restrictions on fossil fuels. I think Europe is in a real turmoil. Much more than reported.

And it appears the same will occur here too. And of all places, Texas already has supply grid problems. Texas blackout. And after that winter blackout a few yrs ago. I would have lost money on that bet.

Things happen so fast now, it's anybodies guess about the future. But it's bound to be an interesting summer. Russia might repent and replace, then supply all the fuel and grain needed. He he. A bright future indeed.

I'm hopeful.
You have painted a grim picture. Your prediction will never come true, because democracy and sanity will always triumph over obscurantism.

The paragraph of the 1880s was a jest. Many young people, after hearing the destruction of the planet that man is causing......wonder why we live and do the things we do, if it kills the planet. The simple answer to that is......it's better now than it was. Just one example. Cars. Why do we all drive cars? It's because of the manure. The young(and old) have no idea of the stench, the flies, and disease caused by city manure, before we switched to cars. Not to mention sewer plants.

The state we are now in, is from a stack of improvements thru the decades. That's how we got here. It's easy to armchair and criticize past generations, because you don't have to live under the circumstances that they did.

Teaching history, would give the young some context and understanding, so that they too, could build on and improve the way that they live during their time. This was taught to us in public schools. What are they teaching now?

Most people have no idea how to live without electricity. When the lights go out, the young will see, why we live now, the way we do.

As for my prediction of Europe, and here in the US, I stand by it, And predict it will get much worse than I have mentioned. This inflation is just starting to combust. It will be the hardest we have experienced. It's still being fed.