Question What's the most interesting thing you've learned from Live Science?

sward

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 19, 2019
Visit site
Hi folks!

I was wondering since we just hit 1,000 members (congratulations!) what are some of the most interesting things you've learned from the site? Maybe it was an article, a good forum conversation or just a picture of something that made you want to know more? I'd love to know what sort of conversations you enjoy having and what you like to learn and discuss!

Let us know, and thanks for being an amazing community!

Stevie

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 1, 2020
Visit site
Hi Stevie

I have learned a heck of a lot since I joined this brilliant forum.I've always been interested in the planets & been to 2 lectures in Manchester & years ago visted NASA- & thoroughly enjoyed myself-& amazed at everything being told

I did Science at junior high school & chemisty at senior high school -& always been fascinated by it all

I have a DVD of all of the history of the planets & the universe which I had made for me & watch it regularly

I cant really say or choose a particular subject people have written about I love all of the information the same & learned a lot, & if I can find any science classes or online ones Im considering doing them

I really enjoy the articles and gives me something to think about. I don't think I have learned anything new but I do really appreciate reading the articles and refreshing my mind on some things. I think the most interesting thing is that the Sun will be eating up the Earth in a few billion years. It amazes me in how nature will give us life and kill us at the same time.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2019
Visit site
I've learned that under no circumstances should you drink the liquid found in an ancient sarcophagus of black granite.

No matter how much you may want to have an antediluvian smoothie just to see what would happen, the results would probably be very bad and/or super gross.

Reactions: jsimenhoff

jeanna

Editor In Chief
Staff member
Nov 20, 2019
Visit site
Hi Stevie

I have learned a heck of a lot since I joined this brilliant forum.I've always been interested in the planets & been to 2 lectures in Manchester & years ago visted NASA- & thoroughly enjoyed myself-& amazed at everything being told

I did Science at junior high school & chemisty at senior high school -& always been fascinated by it all

I have a DVD of all of the history of the planets & the universe which I had made for me & watch it regularly

I cant really say or choose a particular subject people have written about I love all of the information the same & learned a lot, & if I can find any science classes or online ones Im considering doing them

That's great to hear! In case you're interested, this site seems to curate online science courses from various institutions including MIT and Harvard: https://www.edx.org/course/fundamentals-of-neuroscience-part-1-the-electrical.

Reactions: Yootiful and sward
Nov 18, 2019
Visit site
So what I like best is just reading the responses and discussions on the articles. Some of the replies can be kind of... out there... but it's great to see how many different worldviews and opinions there are.

For me, I like reading the articles - they're short enough to fit between by tasks, and long enough to be interesting. They do lead me to conduct Google search marathons though! I am currently using LiveScience to track the coronavirus saga, as the approach here is more to my taste than traditional news media (where it's more sensationalist and less sciencey... if sciency is a word).

Reactions: Yootiful
Nov 18, 2019
Visit site
My usual interests lie in human archeaology and paleontology, so those are the sections I check first - they are always interesting, though I wish some of the articles were longer. Bring me more dinosaur news!

My current favorite piece is: https://www.livescience.com/archaeological-discoveries-to-watch-for-2020.html

I have to admit that I am always surprised and entertained when LiveScience writes articles about extra-terrestial life, UFOs and so on.

Articles like "Do invisible aliens exist among us" and "Were alien secrets hidden in Roswell and Area 51?" skirt the edges of pseudoscience, but they are entertaining. I am always curious to see how close they get to the line of credulity vs skepticism, and my only concern is they may lend validity to crackpot theories merely by existing.

Yoot

Jan 30, 2020
Visit site
Tardigrades! I had heard vague mention of them before, but they sounded to strange to be true. Thank you for writing so much about them for ever-hungry geeks like me.
I think these creatures sum up the wonderful weirdness of life itself.

I think this sums it up for me:
:)

Reactions: sward
Jan 31, 2020
Visit site
I just read the latest publication in Lancet Journal. Have we also thought of dogs and mice been the two unknown intermediate hosts that could have spread the virus to human instead of the snakes as suggested in the article? But hey since there are no known established articles on coronavirus infections in dogs and mice we can say much. We can start by screening those two (dogs and mice) in the affected region in China

Jan 1, 2020
Visit site
I just read the latest publication in Lancet Journal. Have we also thought of dogs and mice been the two unknown intermediate hosts that could have spread the virus to human instead of the snakes as suggested in the article? But hey since there are no known established articles on coronavirus infections in dogs and mice we can say much. We can start by screening those two (dogs and mice) in the affected region in China

Ive just heard in our UK newspapers it has spread to the UK now -apparently Newcastle - & the 2 Britons who have been in the country & now returned have been put in quarantine in Liverpool for 2 weeks

New to this site love the different viewpoints from the young people my fortay is ancient Mesopotamian cultures and history now embarking on Quantum physics. I like to have intelligent conversations both to learn and to teach at the sametime.