Question What's happens to corona virus once the affected person is dead

LCarlson

Administrator
Nov 12, 2019
Visit site
What an excellent question. I could speculate based on how long Coronavirus lives outside of the body (on surfaces), but I'd prefer an expert to chime in on this topic.

In the interim, the WHO guidance document of March 24, 2020 says that the body is not generally considered to be infectious, but wisely cautions people not to touch or kiss the corpse for the same distancing purposes employed throughout. It would make sense that the virus remains viable for a time on the deceased person.

It is important to note that as the world's knowledge grows about the virus, recommendations may change.

Reactions: Lutfij
Apr 14, 2020
Visit site
May be answer to stop this virus spread lies there
..For some people we have signs and for some 2e don't have ...
I guess it is.dependent on some variable of living ..If some expert can let us know how long it cam survive in dead.pepple or what happens then it will be great

Apr 23, 2020
Visit site
The virus needs living cells to replicate. At death, cells start dying. How long it takes for all cells of mucous membranes and lungs (sites most likely to spread virus) to die is not known.

It is unfortunate that panic about this virus creates bad situations when comes to burial.

In India a prominent doctor died of Covid-19 after caring for patients. Local villagers blocked access to cemetary so his casket could not be interred fearing they would be infected. The casket itself would not be infectious and body locked inside could not spread disease.

The same thing happened in Egypt.

It is proper to be very careful handling body of recently deceased person. But nothing infectious about a body sealed in coffin. Education and information are needed to help communities understand.

During Ebola, they didn't have coffins or caskets to bury bodies of victims of infections. So corpses were burned to prevent spread of very deadly virus.

Reactions: Shreeingame