Question What is stonehenge?

Nov 26, 2019
Visit site
Stonehenge, is the remnants left over, from oldest form of Society, of which we all are members of today, built with 'Raw Strength', not unlike the Pyramids were, and for the 'Moon Phases' gatherings, of peoples, and 'Tribe Leaders' from Very far, and wide, so to commence the Trading of goods, and discuss potential "Deals", it was Council Chambers, Court room, Shopping Mall, and social event "Moon Phase" gathering place, to be a part of the first known "Society".

Reactions: RubyLee
Nov 26, 2019
Visit site
What is stonehenge? can anyone answer this question with easy explanation.

Stonehenge. A group of standing stones on Salisbury Plain in southern England. Dating to c. 2200-1800 BC, the megaliths are enclosed by a circular ditch and embankment that may date to c. ... The arrangement of the stones suggests that Stonehenge was used as a religious center and also as an astronomical observatory.

Feb 6, 2020
Visit site
One of the most popular beliefs was that Stonehenge was built by the Druids. These high priests of the Celts constructed it for sacrificial ceremonies. The rocks in Stonehenge were quarried 180 miles away.

Nov 26, 2019
Visit site
One of the most popular beliefs was that Stonehenge was built by the Druids. These high priests of the Celts constructed it for sacrificial ceremonies. The rocks in Stonehenge were quarried 180 miles away.
I believe this has been discounted, as dating places the construction of Stonehenge (& the surrounding henges) earlier than the Druids. The discovery of burial remains & iconography also imply (at the least) multiple uses of the site.

Jan 24, 2020
Visit site
I just watched a program about Stonehenge. Peoples from all over the UK came to give thanks during the winter and summer soltice. I t was also a sacred buriel place. A Welsh blue Stone was placed at every grave. (Brought all the way from Wales, which is more than 180 miles away.) There are still many theories as to who build this great monument. No so called expert can agree. We may never know.

Jan 24, 2020
Visit site
Stonehenge, is the remnants left over, from oldest form of Society, of which we all are members of today, built with 'Raw Strength', not unlike the Pyramids were, and for the 'Moon Phases' gatherings, of peoples, and 'Tribe Leaders' from Very far, and wide, so to commence the Trading of goods, and discuss potential "Deals", it was Council Chambers, Court room, Shopping Mall, and social event "Moon Phase" gathering place, to be a part of the first known "Society".
Hi Tony, that is only a fraction of the story. Just watched a special about it.

Mar 6, 2020
Visit site
The purpose of stonehenge is debatable, but what we do know is that there was some astronomical aspect as the heel stone, located outside the main stone circle, is positioned so that during the summer solstice, the sun would rise over the heel stone, as shown in this link.
It could have been a calendar, a place for religious rituals, or something similar.

Mar 23, 2020
Visit site
Anthony, I find this refreshing. I love reading about Megalithic structures, but get tired of every one being proclaimed either a temple or tomb. I want to ask all the 'main-stream' archaeologists: 'where are the condos?' or 'is there a shoe shop here anywhere?' I think you answered most of that.

Mar 6, 2020
Visit site
Anthony, I find this refreshing. I love reading about Megalithic structures, but get tired of every one being proclaimed either a temple or tomb. I want to ask all the 'main-stream' archaeologists: 'where are the condos?' or 'is there a shoe shop here anywhere?' I think you answered most of that.
The reason for most of the thing we find being religious or funerary in nature might be because those who built it used better quality materials, as it was important to them. Their condos and shoe-shops were probably something that degrades faster, like mud-brick houses or wooden huts.

Reactions: knowledge
Apr 17, 2020
Visit site
I have been to Stonehenge many times, many before they fenced it in. It certainly has astronomical alignments especially relating to the midwinter Sun.

More importantly, it seems that people gathered from all over Great Britain (perhaps excepting Northern Ireland) and had great feasts. This has been the subject of a recent TV documentary.