• Welcome to the Live Science Forums, a playground for those curious about humanity and the world around us. Introduce yourself here!

What is considered a high fat meal? Does high SFA have the same effect as high MUFA or PUFA?

Nov 25, 2019
I was watching a Critique on YouTube and saw someone commenting that 10g or SFA in one meal is extremely high. I follow a relatively low fat diet (45-60g at most, on a 2350kcal diet), but some of my staple meals usually have 5-10g of SFA. Now, I am not paranoid and probably won't change it, as I feel great on my current diet, but I am curious as too how much SFA per meal is used on those "high fat meals" Studies
Also, considering most whole foods have a split of MUFA/SFA/PUFA, is the damage of a "high fat meal" only attributed to high SFA, or does it apply to fat as whole? Do those "high SFA" Studies consider that most fatty whole foods usually have a 1:1 ratio MUFA/SFA?
Example: Oxtail is an extremely fatty cut, yet it's 1:1 Monounsaturated fats and Saturated Fats. Compared to, let's say, Cheddar cheese, which is 2:1.
fedloan irs.gov easybib

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2019
I was watching a Critique on YouTube and saw someone commenting that 10g or SFA in one meal is extremely high. I follow a relatively low fat diet (45-60g at most, on a 2350kcal diet), but some of my staple meals usually have 5-10g of SFA. Now, I am not paranoid and probably won't change it, as I feel great on my current diet, but I am curious as too how much SFA per meal is used on those "high fat meals" Studies
Also, considering most whole foods have a split of MUFA/SFA/PUFA, is the damage of a "high fat meal" only attributed to high SFA, or does it apply to fat as whole? Do those "high SFA" Studies consider that most fatty whole foods usually have a 1:1 ratio MUFA/SFA?
Example: Oxtail is an extremely fatty cut, yet it's 1:1 Monounsaturated fats and Saturated Fats. Compared to, let's say, Cheddar cheese, which is 2:1.
fedloan irs.gov easybib
I like eating fat but I am skinny. Go figure. :LOL: I really have no clue what MUFA,SFA or PUFA means.lol! I notice a lot of people that drink diet drinks are overweight. I suppose it may be the aspartame but I see they are changing a lot to sucralose since aspartame has been exposed. Sorry I don't know much about fat. I think your better off eating butter than margarine. A lot of veggies in the diet is good. I eat meat at least once to twice a day.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

Latest posts