Feature What if the Earth was flat?

Dec 7, 2019
Visit site

We've known for thousands of years that planet Earth is a sphere, but what if our orb had never become ... an orb? Things would get very weird very fast. And SPOILER ALERT: We'd all be very dead.

In the centuries of celestial observation, no flat or or oval planetary objects have been documented though radio and imaging systems. Given the vast observation of spherical celestial objects, the probability of Earth being the sole flat planetary object in the known universe, the probability of Earth being flat is infinitesimally small. There are literally thousands of supporting observations, laws, and plausible theories that make such a hypothesis unsupportable.

Dec 11, 2019
Visit site
Personally, I think the Flat Earth concept (I wouldn't call it a "theory" or even a "hypothesis") has a great deal of charm. It always amazes me how every time the Flat Earth Society makes a pronouncement about their concept or announces a "test" to "prove" it, various people get all worked up on their science high horses with a dozen ways of proving the Earth isn't flat. Oh, please. It seems to me the best response is to sit back and enjoy a good Flat Earth fantasy. Just supposing the Earth WERE flat and somehow we could all live perfectly normal lives on this flat Earth, what would it be like? Use your imagination. As they say, have fun with the idea!

Reactions: Truthseeker007
Well I was going to say if the earth was flat I would drive a boat right into space for fun.:DBut don't the people that say the earth is flat say that their is ice blocking the end of the earth? Well lets hope for climate change for it to melt.:ROFLMAO::LOL:

Jan 14, 2020
Visit site

We've known for thousands of years that planet Earth is a sphere, but what if our orb had never become ... an orb? Things would get very weird very fast. And SPOILER ALERT: We'd all be very dead.

There is a very old story/book called 'FlatLand', or something like that, which describes what it would be like to live in a 2 dimensional universe.

Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
Sort of.
The 'flatlanders' (not many in today's world) still believe we live in 3D, but the 'ground' that we live on is 2D. Haven't done research on this for many years, but I'm sure there are still 'flatlander' groups.

Sort of.
The 'flatlanders' (not many in today's world) still believe we live in 3D, but the 'ground' that we live on is 2D. Haven't done research on this for many years, but I'm sure there are still 'flatlander' groups.

I have not heard of the term flatlanders. I will have to check that out. I guess that would make plants 2D also?

Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
In the 'flatland' world, everything is two dimensional (plants, people, houses, ... ).
Imagine an infinitely large two dimensional plane, like a huge piece of paper, that has two dimensional people, houses, cars, etc.
Sometime, around 1900, Edwin Abbott wrote a novel (?) called 'Flatland' which triggered the concept of a 'flat' 2D world. It's a good mental exercise to use our 3D world, and imagine it becomes a 2D world, or a 4D world.

Nov 17, 2020
Visit site
Honestly I believe that the earth is spherical in shape but that does not mean I believe it to be round either, not like a ball anyway, probably be more like an egg or something oblong like an egg, or even picture a tennis ball that's lost its shape, because at the end of it all them pics of the earth that are apparently real really may not be at all. And I will disagree with the article saying that we would all die or be dead because it would make no difference to us, either way we'd just be us living our lives on a 2D earth or we just wouldn't exist to begin with.

Last edited by a moderator:
But it isn't not a sphere; nor is it flat. It's contoured. It's a hill. Whatever way you go, it's over a hill; and then another hill. Maybe there's miles of plains. But then there's a hill. Maybe across a sea. The sea itself is a hill.

Mar 6, 2020
Visit site
Honestly I believe that the earth is spherical in shape but that does not mean I believe it to be round either, not like a ball anyway, probably be more like an egg or something oblong like an egg, or even picture a tennis ball that's lost its shape, because at the end of it all them pics of the earth that are apparently real really may not be at all. And I will disagree with the article saying that we would all die or be dead because it would make no difference to us, either way we'd just be us living our lives on a 2D earth or we just wouldn't exist to begin with.
It's not perfectly spherical, it's a little smushed at the poles, but otherwise it's pretty close to a sphere