What happened when the dinosaur-killing asteroid slammed into Earth?

Mar 23, 2022
Visit site
perhaps in a few thousand years when we might have technology which we can't even think about yet. if we can't defend, it will be hell. it did happen many times, more than 40 times in the history of the Earth, and most likely will happen again, therefore I don't understand people who take it easy when it comes to that topic. If I am alive on that day, I just hope to get hit directly from it.

Without question the asteroid threat is the most serous and probable threat to this planet. We should have had detection sites on the far side of the moon, and in orbit in the outer solar system way before now. But this is way down on the list from our academic/political risk analysts. The political risk is far more dangerous to them. We have decades to adapt to climate change. We will have a very short time to answer this threat.

We have decades to adapt to climate change. We will have a very short time to answer this threat.

Populations only accept spending on something once an event has happened they believe could have been prevented... The Sumatra tsunami comes to mind:

"In the aftermath of the 2004 tsunami, the region put in place a Tsunami Warning System. It provides alerts through three regional watch centers in India, Indonesia and Australia, and a network of 26 national tsunami information centers. "

There are far too many whatifs that may/ may not happen and how do you cover them all?

On a small scale, would you change your 10-year old car that works fine because it is more likely to break down as opposed to a new car, or, do you improve something more pressing and go with the experts that say the car has x years remaining.