Welcome to Live Science's forums - Introduce yourself!

LS community assets6.png

Hello Science Fans,

Welcome to the Live Science forums, a sort of playground for all of you who are curious about humanity and the world around us.

The writers and editors here at LiveScience.com are excited to launch what we hope will become a tight-knit and friendly community for the intellectually curious. Anyone interested in tardigrades and quarks … or dinosaurs … or the Big Bang and string theory will find a home here.

It's all fascinating to us.

In this science clubhouse, you can feel free to discuss the latest scientific discoveries or the far-out ideas that keep you up at night..

And since our website is so broad, there's plenty of room for you to find the right fit. The sky's the limit. Or is it?

Post a reply to let us know what you're interested in and what you'd like to see on Live Science forums!

—Jeanna

Last edited by a moderator:

sward

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 19, 2019
Visit site
Hi folks, Stevie here from the Community Team! I am TERRIBLE at real science but moderately good at scifi.

My background is in online scifi games, I’ve been working with CCP Games on EVE Online and off since 2007. I’ve also worked on EVE: Valkyrie, Guitar Hero Live and Insomnia Gaming Festival, which is a fun gaming event here in the UK.

In my spare time I enjoy streaming games, tv and espionage. I’m also an ambassador for SpecialEffect, the gamers charity. SpecialEffect work with people with disabilities, developing controller set-ups, eye tracking tech and working with developers on accessibility in games (which is also a passion of mine).

I’m really looking forward to working on these forums, and chatting about science, biology and sci-fi in its many forms. I really enjoy working with passionate communities, and am over the moon to be able to be working with you folks.

37187111_10156614405293734_5209998022439600128_o.jpg

kim_hickok

Staff member
Nov 20, 2019
Visit site
Hi 👋my name is Kim and I'm the reference editor for Live Science.

I'm a general science fan but I know the most about marine science and molecular bio. I went to school to become a marine biologist and studied sea turtles for several years before becoming a writer. Turtles are still my fav animals :giggle:

I'm super excited about the Live Science forums and look forward to having some fascinating conversations! If there's a topic you want to learn more about, let me know. We might have a reference article that explains it, and if not, we'll do the research and write one for you.

Unfortunately, I can't find any of my awesome sea turtle pics at this moment, but here is a funny pic of an alpaca I met in Ireland a few months ago. He was impatiently waiting for me to give him his snack. :LOL:

DSC04164.JPG

NicolettaLanese

Staff member
Nov 20, 2019
Visit site
Hi all! 👋 My name is Nicoletta and I'm a staff reporter for Live Science.

I mostly cover health and medicine, so I look forward to answering your pressing questions about the bizarre (and sometimes scary) world of human disease.

I studied psychology and neuroscience before becoming a writer, so I can also address any queries you have about that weird, wrinkly organ between your ears! 🧠

I've also studied dance my whole life and would love to chat about cool happenings at the intersection of art and science.

Chat soon! 😁

Nov 20, 2019
Visit site
Greetings and salutations! I'm a science journalist by way of film school, before joining Live Science I produced exhibit videos for the American Museum of Natural History in New York City. I cover a general science beat, but I'm especially interested in fossils, evolution, and weird animal biology and behaviors.

I'm also fascinated by the intersection of science and pop culture; where representations of science in books, movies and TV get it right ... and where they get it wrong.

Also! I'm co-hosting a new podcast (with LS EIC Jeanna Bryner) that we're launching in 2020. Called "Life's Little Mysteries with Live Science," it'll address intriguing questions about our world (and beyond) in each episode. Check out Life's Little Mysteries on our website to see what questions we've already answered, and let us know about new questions you'd like us to tackle!

You can find me on Twitter at @laminda, where I tweet about science, music and nerdy knitting. Fun fact: I once knit a bobtail squid, as a gift for my niece.

IMG_4869_medium2.jpg

kim_hickok

Staff member
Nov 20, 2019
Visit site
Greetings and salutations! I'm a science journalist by way of film school, before joining Live Science I produced exhibit videos for the American Museum of Natural History in New York City. I cover a general science beat, but I'm especially interested in fossils, evolution, and weird animal biology and behaviors.

I'm also fascinated by the intersection of science and pop culture; where representations of science in books, movies and TV get it right ... and where they get it wrong.

Also! I'm co-hosting a new podcast (with LS EIC Jeanna Bryner) that we're launching in 2020. Called "Life's Little Mysteries with Live Science," it'll address intriguing questions about our world (and beyond) in each episode. Check out Life's Little Mysteries on our website to see what questions we've already answered, and let us know about new questions you'd like us to tackle!

You can find me on Twitter at @laminda, where I tweet about science, music and nerdy knitting. Fun fact: I once knit a bobtail squid, as a gift for my niece.

View attachment 5
Wow, that's impressive Mindy! What skillz

Rafi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2019
www.livescience.com
Hello, I'm Rafi Letzter. Before Live Science I covered the climate, neuroscience, and photography for a number of outlets. I'm mostly on the physics beat these days, so you'll see me writing about giant black holes and the history of the universe on the one hand, and tiny particles on the other. I'm also working on a book with the neuroscientist Mike X. Cohen about why our brains make mistakes and what those mistakes can tell us about being human.

You can find me on Twitter at @RafiLetzter. My feed is a mix of science and nonsense.

LCarlson

Administrator
Nov 12, 2019
Visit site
Good morning!

Linda here, one of your Community Team members. I am delighted to see this forum open - I've been an avid amateur scientist (amateur because I am in love with too many fields to become a professional in any one field!) and I love the scope and topics covered by Live Science.
Every day that I log in, I am in serious danger of following Live Science rabbit holes for hours on end. This is a good problem to have - for me, a continuing lifetime of learning, for editorial staff, proof positive that the content engages and resonates!

I look forward to learning even more from the discussions here on the forums, from dinosaurs to cultural takes on scientific advancement, I'm IN!

Linda

Yasemin_Saplakoglu

Staff member
Nov 21, 2019
Visit site
Hi!! My name is Yasemin and I'm a staff writer with Live Science. I studied biomedical engineering at the University of Connecticut and then trained as a science writer in a graduate program at UCSC.

I write about all things science with a focus on health and biology. I loooooooove writing about the brain and about how strange we (humans) are. I hope we discover aliens soon. I think cold pizza is better than hot. I'm bad at keeping plants alive. I like things that can be described as "whimsical." I will keep laughing after it's not funny anymore.

Looking forward to chat! You can find me on Twitter @yasemin_sap.

Here's a squirrel: IMG_6124.jpg

SHaines

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 12, 2019
Visit site
Hey there, science friends!

My name is Steve and I'm also part of our Community Team. I'm very excited to see these forums come to fruition after working with the team to bring them together.

As a CM, my scientific bona fides are minimal, but I can very clearly remember my earliest childhood scientific fascination. When I was pretty young (7 or 8) I heard the word "entropy" for the first time (likely while watching Nova on PBS).

The way I understood it, at the time, was that entropy was the term used to describe the crumbling of the universe that will eventually lead to the end of all things (again, I was very young). This fascinated me completely because it helped me understand why we don't have time travel.

You see, if entropy is the breaking down of things, including energy, but we cannot create new energy, then it made sense that time doesn't actually exist as we thought of it, but was actually a byproduct of the course of entropy.

If we could figure out a way to make new energy, then by creating that energy, we would actually be resetting the universe back to the time when it had that exact amount of energy available.

Wow, kids say the darndest things!

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2019
Visit site
So...I remember when the forums went dark on space.com and life sucked again. That was a long time ago.

I used to really enjoy the topic threads that would develop and never understood why it was taken away.

Hopefully this one sticks around for awhile, but for now I will remain cautiously optimistic.

Nov 26, 2019
Visit site
Hello,
I'm writing an highly diagrammed book that states my own gestalt philosophy that merges all Sciences together, incorporating: Classic Physics, Quantum Physics, Metaphysics, Eastern Philosophies and the Science of Astrology, all rolled into one Universal Philosophy and coded through the visible Colour Spectrum, but also encompassing the entire realm of the Gravito-Electro-Magnetic Spectrum of the Cosmos. I collect my research information through interactive sites like this.
Helena.

Nov 26, 2019
Visit site
Good day to all,
I am Anthony Hudson from Gold Coast, Australia, a member of AAAS Science Advances in California, i have become a; 'Scientific Investigator', and Real Estate Agent - Auctioneer by trade, i have spent most of my life helping others, and lastly educated through The University of Queensland, at St Lucia, Brisbane, BA Major Psychology, whereas i deferred studies before my final year.

I have written a new book, yet to be published (hopefully still this year), the "Origin of Creation of Species", subtitled "Evolution Scientifically Debunked", it is the first; 'non fictional' book of "Creation" ever released, at the centerpiece, is my own new Microbiological discovery, of which does; Seamlessly quantify evident "Creation", no religion, not biblical, not indoctrinated by: "Theoretical Suppositions" with the; "Many Gaps" located by myself in the; 'Neo-Darwinism' religion, that i have described within scientific terminology, also, the Transcript of my book, has received an Australian Fed Govt Microbiology cash grant, from our research center in Canberra, no less than 5 Biologists had to agree to signing off on the grant, after agreeing unanimously to its solid foundations.

The Quora site has been my previous forum, and it is time to change to Live Science for a new audience, and to answer any questions within my field.

Attachments

• IMG_2294 (1).JPG
    IMG_2294 (1).JPG
    219.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3036.JPG
    IMG_3036.JPG
    204.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 5
Nov 26, 2019
Visit site
Hello Dr Daystrom. I joined this forum 5 mins ago. I am saying hello to you because nobody else did. Which was kind of rude. Science is recreational to me. What I read before I fall asleep. This seemed to be apealing because its interactive. Anyway, I am certainly not a presence here, but I think if you post some provocative views or ideas you will get some responses, since you are a dr you are certainly entitled to, whereas I am not a dr or a professional in any sense so I just have to wait for an in. Good luck, and this is a very good thing, and I am sure you will be interesting in your contributions.

Nov 26, 2019
Visit site
Hey world! I am a ( bit of a weird I can tell people may think, but I don‘t really care!) serious STEM disciple! I love reading about the latest in science and technology and (very often ) day dream about how far we could go in the ( not to distant!) future. Oh, and Ian (my pet guinea pig! He is a Blue Roan if anyone is curious) gives his greetings!

Nov 27, 2019
Visit site
View attachment 1

Hello Science Fans,

Welcome to the Live Science forums, a sort of playground for all of you who are curious about humanity and the world around us.

The writers and editors here at LiveScience.com are excited to launch what we hope will become a tight-knit and friendly community for the intellectually curious. Anyone interested in tardigrades and quarks … or dinosaurs … or the Big Bang and string theory will find a home here.

In this science clubhouse, you can feel free to discuss the latest scientific discoveries or the far-out ideas that keep you up at night..

And since our website is so broad, there's plenty of room for you to find the right fit. The sky's the limit. Or is it?

Post a reply to let us know what you're interested in and what you'd like to see on Live Science forums!

—Jeanna
View attachment 1

Hello Science Fans,

—Jeanna
I've avidly been reading Science News since the 1970s. My background is in biology and civil engineering. But I use Science News and other sources to follow many science and technology subjects. I too knit and looking forward to crocthing shapes from topology.

Reactions: sward
Nov 27, 2019
Visit site
Hi!! My name is Yasemin and I'm a staff writer with Live Science. I studied biomedical engineering at the University of Connecticut and then trained as a science writer in a graduate program at UCSC.

I write about all things science with a focus on health and biology. I loooooooove writing about the brain and about how strange we (humans) are. I hope we discover aliens soon. I think cold pizza is better than hot. I'm bad at keeping plants alive. I like things that can be described as "whimsical." I will keep laughing after it's not funny anymore.

Looking forward to chat! You can find me on Twitter @yasemin_sap.

Here's a squirrel: View attachment 6
If you have read Pollon, How to change your mind, what did you think of it?

Nov 27, 2019
Visit site
Good day to all,
I am Anthony Hudson from Gold Coast, Australia, a member of AAAS Science Advances in California, i have become a; 'Scientific Investigator', and Real Estate Agent - Auctioneer by trade, i have spent most of my life helping others, and lastly educated through The University of Queensland, at St Lucia, Brisbane, BA Major Psychology, whereas i deferred studies before my final year.

I have written a new book, yet to be published (hopefully still this year), the "Origin of Creation of Species", subtitled "Evolution Scientifically Debunked", it is the first; 'non fictional' book of "Creation" ever released, at the centerpiece, is my own new Microbiological discovery, of which does; Seamlessly quantify evident "Creation", no religion, not biblical, not indoctrinated by: "Theoretical Suppositions" with the; "Many Gaps" located by myself in the; 'Neo-Darwinism' religion, that i have described within scientific terminology, also, the Transcript of my book, has received an Australian Fed Govt Microbiology cash grant, from our research center in Canberra, no less than 5 Biologists had to agree to signing off on the grant, after agreeing unanimously to its solid foundations.

The Quora site has been my previous forum, and it is time to change to Live Science for a new audience, and to answer any questions within my field.
It certainly looks interesting. I'm always interested in expanded or different theories of the development and advancement of life. However, I would suggest that you spend time working standard rules of grammar and punctuation before publishing your book. I'm sure it will make it better received. =Ed Rowland

Nov 26, 2019
Visit site
It certainly looks interesting. I'm always interested in expanded or different theories of the development and advancement of life. However, I would suggest that you spend time working standard rules of grammar and punctuation before publishing your book. I'm sure it will make it better received. =Ed Rowland
Thanks for your guidance regarding grammar, i will be thankful to the editorial dep at Austin Macauley Publishers, for their workmanship in these areas, for my book to be more easily read..