Welcome to Live Science's forums - Introduce yourself!

Page 3 - For the science geek in everyone, Live Science breaks down the stories behind the most interesting news and photos on the Internet.
Aug 30, 2020
Visit site
Hello all- I have always been a science enthusiast in many topics. I once spent an entire summer college course in the Paleo Lab of Rancho Lebrean discoveries at the Page Museum Los Angeles co. Loved every minute of it. My background is in Air Traffic Control, Wx, aviation and automated transportation (positive control PTS) system development and roll out. I worked at the places many might refer to as "area 51", although I never heard them referred to by that when I was there. Retired Veteran. Special interests in weather, witnessed many weather and climatic related airplane and systems tests in special labs and airspace. Have seen many quite interesting things along the way.
I've read "science news" since it was a small weekly paper, and I hope the expanded reading and exposure of these sites can help broaden the space where people can get exposed to scientific thought and scientific reason and see what constitutes a "fact" and why it does so. (Through links). As well as provide an example of what a (scientific) debate over a set of facts looks like. Its ok to disagree.

I'm excited to find this forum. I am a lowly dog trainer of the modern variety which, for me anyway, means I geek out on any science that has to do with behavior. I got here through a link in an article about Dr. Hare, who I greatly admire. I also have a little undergraduate history in environmental science, although I got my degree in something else because I got so depressed about the outlook for climate change. But of course it is still something I care very deeply about. I'm mostly here to lurk and learn.

Reactions: sward

sward

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 19, 2019
Visit site
I'm excited to find this forum. I am a lowly dog trainer of the modern variety which, for me anyway, means I geek out on any science that has to do with behavior. I got here through a link in an article about Dr. Hare, who I greatly admire. I also have a little undergraduate history in environmental science, although I got my degree in something else because I got so depressed about the outlook for climate change. But of course it is still something I care very deeply about. I'm mostly here to lurk and learn.

Welcome to the forums!

Reactions: Dawn Sims
Mar 4, 2021
Visit site
Hi, I am Thomas (Tom) Brown) and found one of your articles on Google News. Looks like an interesting site.
My background is Engineering and Applied physics - OU BS in Engineering Physics, UCLA MS Applied Physics. I am a generalist but spent most of my 35 working years, starting in 1961, at the Hughes Aircraft Company, later called Hughes Electronics. My early years were in Research & Development of Microwave and Display devices. Later I oversaw product and facilities development in number of additional fields including semiconductor wire bonders, visible and Infrared imagers, CNC laser cutters for the garment industry and Digital Cinema projection.
Answer to the usual question: No. I did not meet Mr. Hughes. He had put Mr. Hyland in charge a few years before I was hired,

Jun 29, 2021
Visit site
Hello all you brain-power people! I'm just Sam. no degrees or other bona fides to even qualify me to comment here. No wait! My major was in Computer Science and that has the word science in it! I am just a hobbyist and enthusiast and I like listening to everyone's perspective. I'll generally just be here in the background absorbing and enjoying and likely comment very little. Currently I build draft beer systems and train guard dogs, so if CO2 or liquid dynamics, or animal training comes up I might be able to make an informed comment!
Cheers!
Sam

Reactions: ScienceLover
Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
Hi, I'm Colin, a retired developer of coated film products and commercial and industrial chemical formulations. Apart from school, I am self-taught in chemistry, and my highest achievement is membership of the Royal Society of Chemistry.
I have always been very keen on science and mathematics, and have an inventive mind so am always designing stuff. Not being an engineer, sadly, I don't get around to making these inventions! I've written lots of very esoteric stuff which I am happy to share should the occasion demand it. Future possibilities fascinate me, so I also enjoy sci-fi and writing about the future, such as I've been doing on Quora.

Jan 1, 2020
Visit site
Hi Im Sara from the UK (aka Sarajo. Currently unemployed Im an an English teacher to students whose first language isnt English
I love horseriding & do this once a week . I love Science & did it at Junior High School & CSE Chemistry at Senior High School& defo looking forward to learning some new fun facts & figures on this site

Reactions: Lutfij and SHaines

SHaines

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 12, 2019
Visit site
Hi Im Sara from the UK (aka Sarajo. Currently unemployed Im an an English teacher to students whose first language isnt English
I love horseriding & do this once a week . I love Science & did it at Junior High School & CSE Chemistry at Senior High School& defo looking forward to learning some new fun facts & figures on this site
Welcome!

Hey guys. I am a young medical and STEM/STEAM hobbyist with a love for making things like lectures, articles, and much more. I have been very interested in medical science and bioengineering for a long time and I love to socialize. I also love writing.

Fun Fact: I am a history buff as well.

Dec 11, 2021
Visit site
Неllo, my name is Zhibek. I do not have scientific education, my background are sci fi books , movies. I also read sometimes books about astronomy but without formulas, I want to read chemistry in future.

Dec 2, 2022
Visit site
I have a broad interest in many branches of science, but my vocation was in applying it to engineer sustainable technologies. I built a velomobile that demonstrates full integration of frame and suspension with fine results. My boats also won prizes, using a principle that would save ocean freighters 20% on fuel, but there again, there is a preference for profitable inefficiency and tradition.
Now, I'm mostly interested in how brains that evolved for tribal life are having trouble coping with modern civilization.

Reactions: ScienceLover
Jul 4, 2023
Visit site
Hey there! I'm Nancy, a passionate scientist hobbyist with an insatiable curiosity for the wonders of the world. Ever since I was a young girl, I've been captivated by the mysteries of nature and the limitless possibilities of science. Even though I pursued a different career path, my love for scientific exploration never faded ✨

Sep 29, 2023
Visit site
I am a PhD North American archaeologist, u of Calgary. Formed first totally private contract archae firm in 1971 in Montana, Produced a book entitled Homeland- An Archaeologists View of Yellowstone's Past.
Interested in Ishi type technology and hunting. Had a wilderness hunting guide outfit for about 20 years.
Career findings at the Crazy Mountain Museum, Big Timber, Montana.

Nov 14, 2023
Visit site
Well they say the bigger they are the slower they move...and the harder they fall...but curious how come as a tornado picks up mass it's spiraling increases in size mass and volume ..if the black whole is spinning and devouring it's not a vortex.its not going anywhere..its wavelike in everything in its trajectory...it's pulling the water backward not making it disappear..just collecting matter before spitting it right back out again either way I wouldn't mess with it until we get to work more on mechanics ofthis

Dec 19, 2023
Visit site
Greetings.

My journey here began in 1980 after Carl Sagan's Cosmos seriously rattled my worldview. The facts he shared didn't jive with the young-earth creationism I'd been raised on and left me so offended that I set out to prove Sagan wrong.

That journey was the most terrifying, humbling and spectacular adventure of my life. It took decades to get out of the box but little-by-little the universe came into view. Nursing led to biology. Curiosity about where the elements led to my passion, which is particle physics.

Today, I wouldn't call myself a hobbyist or fan of science, merely a student.

Looking forward to getting to know who's-who and communing with other students of science.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Reactions: SHaines

Zed

Dec 20, 2023
Visit site
Hi,

I go by Zed. I am not a scientist. Nor do I have any work life experience in the science field. I am number cruncher in the field of Aging and Adult Services.

I like to read and learn things I do not know. I found the Live Science site about two years ago and have enjoyed it. I like that it gives the facts, and states the where the information came from. I've learned a lot about a variety of things. Occassionally I have questions, and I have decided to bite the bullet and make an account so I can ask questions.

Reactions: SHaines
Jun 12, 2023
Visit site
Hello, everyone or anyone interested …

I do not have a college degree in science or anything, nor have I had a profession that relates in any such way. The most I can say about having any kind of credentials is that I have a good background in games like chess, bridge, and some of the many Internet games.

I did well in school, especially math and science tests, like SATs, but couldn’t keep up with attendance. The reason was because of a misunderstood drug problem. My mother thought she knew better than the family doctor and gave me double the prescribed marax dosage. Somewhere between kindergarten and second grade. By third grade, I was having hallucinatory images every night in bed. Marax is a type of speed pill once sold on the streets. Everyone was unaware of what was happening to me with this drug abuse problem.

Anyway, I ended up with A’s and F’s and graduated high school a semester late. Then failed a few times at college, even though many professors saw potential in me and favored me.

On my own, I did read the following books in order - physics (by Asimov), chemistry, and biology. I believe them to be the foundation of the physical sciences so far. Someday I expect subatomic particle physics to be added to that. The atom is a good start as a basic building block, but reality goes much further than the basic atom. So I have a tiny bit of general knowledge, but am no expert on the sciences like everyone else here.

I read the forums and know that religion is not to be preached here. But can we discuss it from a scientific point of view? I see religion as an evolutionary process in human thinking.

First religions were Animism. The Gods were animals or beasts that had greater power than humans. When humans were undisputed number one because of their weapons, the gods were replaced by the Royal Family, as in Norse, Greek, and Roman mythologies. When tyrannical dictatorships began to fall out of fashion and civilian rights grew strong, God became like the family household’s all knowing Father. This is my viewpoint on studying religions, philosophies, and human thinking.

Are we allowed to discuss this? If not, I am sorry. I certainly will never preach anything religious because I am an atheist. I believe in nature and beauty as we see it, not in the form of man’s image idolized into God’s image.

Jun 12, 2023
Visit site
Hello, everyone or anyone interested …

I do not have a college degree in science or anything, nor have I had a profession that relates in any such way. The most I can say about having any kind of credentials is that I have a good background in games like chess, bridge, and some of the many Internet games.

I did well in school, especially math and science tests, like SATs, but couldn’t keep up with attendance. The reason was because of a misunderstood drug problem. My mother thought she knew better than the family doctor and gave me double the prescribed marax dosage. Somewhere between kindergarten and second grade. By third grade, I was having hallucinatory images every night in bed. Marax is a type of speed pill once sold on the streets. Everyone was unaware of what was happening to me with this drug abuse problem.

Anyway, I ended up with A’s and F’s and graduated high school a semester late. Then failed a few times at college, even though many professors saw potential in me and favored me.

On my own, I did read the following books in order - physics (by Asimov), chemistry, and biology. I believe them to be the foundation of the physical sciences so far. Someday I expect subatomic particle physics to be added to that. The atom is a good start as a basic building block, but reality goes much further than the basic atom. So I have a tiny bit of general knowledge, but am no expert on the sciences like everyone else here.

I read the forums and know that religion is not to be preached here. But can we discuss it from a scientific point of view? I see religion as an evolutionary process in human thinking.

First religions were Animism. The Gods were animals or beasts that had greater power than humans. When humans were undisputed number one because of their weapons, the gods were replaced by the Royal Family, as in Norse, Greek, and Roman mythologies. When tyrannical dictatorships began to fall out of fashion and civilian rights grew strong, God became like the family household’s all knowing Father. This is my viewpoint on studying religions, philosophies, and human thinking.

Are we allowed to discuss this? If not, I am sorry. I certainly will never preach anything religious because I am an atheist. I believe in nature and beauty as we see it, not in the form of man’s image idolized into God’s image. In fact, I personally find that to be highly egotistical. Again, I am NOT religious but would like to discuss religions, philosophies, and human thought.

Jun 12, 2023
Visit site
The main reason why I wish to discuss religion is because if a certain invention (a toy) is created, it could lead to Artificial Intelligence becoming the human race’s next God or gods. So the main subject is really AI but spills over into how human culture gets into creating religions.

SHaines

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 12, 2019
Visit site
We're not a great place for religious discussions, but if you aren't making any implications that one religion is in some way better than another, but just want to broadly discuss religion as a concept, that's completely fine.

Jun 12, 2023
Visit site
We're not a great place for religious discussions, but if you aren't making any implications that one religion is in some way better than another, but just want to broadly discuss religion as a concept, that's completely fine.
Thank you, administrator SHaines. By the way, my best friend is Cheryl Haines. Any relation?

If that is too personal, let me know. I been on FaceBook, but never on LiveScience. Maybe I need to be much more serious here. Not sure how much yet. But I’ll learn even if I am slow. Thank you!

Feb 21, 2024
Visit site
My name is Tom, i founded TruPangea during August 2023. The way the continents were actually joined, and i have animations of them coming apart the way that they actually did and i want to share that finding. Alfred Wegener was close. He was onto it but he never got it. He didn't go far enough back. It was only by the technology of and since 1970 that the first satellite world map was even created that i was able to use to assemble our continents in their correct fashion. I am not a scientists. I am an electrician. I am artistic and that is how i was able to see this. My videos and maps are rough, i get it. They're on another channel. But look past that and be patient and look for yourself it not by the borders alone and you'll be blown away. Every single worldwide natural phenomenon can be explained by my map if you look. I am assembling this information for you but it's taking time. In the mean time I'm just putting my map out there. It's a work in progress 20231226_213239.jpg20231227_190154.jpgIf I can ever assemble a video that'll capture everything i see, all of my notes, it'll be mind blowing.

Mar 16, 2024
Visit site
Hi Everyone,
My name is Robert and although I am not a scientist, I am a big space fan since Mercury, and a follower of much science news. I have authored a few sci-fi books along the way. One of my main hopes is that someday we will finally see NASA successfully land a manned mission to the Red Planet. Other than that, I am a pretty ordinary guy who enjoys photography, writing, fishing, and camping. I won't name any of my books because I am not looking to boost sales or advertise on this forum.

Besides...we're in wholesale worldwide anyway. You can't even buy a book from me directly. :)