• Welcome to Discovery Month - prizes, podcasts and more await! Explore the thread here.
  • Want to win Lego Fossils and a bundle of Live Science swag? Share your favourite discovery and enter the giveaway here!

Feature Welcome to Discovery Month!

mknott

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 12, 2019

This month we celebrate the adventurous, the curious and the downright fascinating!

WIN THE ULTIMATE DISCOVERY BUNDLE!

If you want to be in the running to win a big Live Science package stuffed with Lego Fossils and merch. All you need to do is head on over to this thread, share your favourite discovery and sign in with our widget to be in with a chance of taking it home!

BUILD YOUR EXPEDITION TEAM!

Who would you trust to take you on a dangerous journey into unknowable peril and not only get you back alive, but laden with ancient treasures? Gather a rough and ready expedition team and be in with a chance to win a Live Science Elements Mug. Explore the thread here.

LIFE'S LITTLE MYSTERIES PODCAST

In their first podcast, Live Science senior writer Mindy Weisberger and editor-in-chief Jeanna Bryner invite you to dive into the ocean with them to find answers to such questions as how much of it is whale pee? Likely a question best answered pre-submersion, but it’s human nature to want to know. Head on over to the thread, give it a listen and be sure to post your questions for Mindy and Jeanna!

OVER 1000 MEMBERS!

We’re over a thousand members strong and couldn’t be prouder! To celebrate this milestone, we’ll be looking out for great posts and intriguing questions throughout February, putting the best of the bunch through a digital Rube-Goldberg machine and picking five lucky community members to each receive a Live Science Hat.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020
I feel honored to be counted as a member of such an august body of individuals chasing science. Can there be anything better? I hark back to high school and my two years of Biology with Mrs. Ross and Mr. Kleeman and my superb Physics teacher, Mr. Youngstrom and the slide rule. Later, in college, the circular slide rule would be joined by the punch card. I can still fondly recall my first electronic calculator with its miniature neon gas filled tubes in each place illuminating a number, any number, all before square roots became an accepted key. Now, if I turn my iPhone sideways on its calculator app - holy toledo, I have more numbers and functions than I ever dreamed possible. But such is Moore's Law, a seeming contravention of Murphy's Law, whereas electronic circuits are made smaller, their components get faster and better. Whereas Murphy always cautioned that everything was about to go haywire. Thanks for having me, I hope I don't wear out my welcome, as the old folks often warned me in my storied youth.

Jan 24, 2020
Science is the most mind boggeling, (did I mispell bogg.....ing? Please let me know, thanks) fascinating, frightening, incredible stuff. I love it. I wish more than anything to have many more lifetimes to take it all in.

ASK THE COMMUNITY