Watch SpaceX boat catch falling payload fairing in giant net (video)

Aug 20, 2020
Visit site
"...the fairings, which cost about $6 million each ..."

That's a ridiculous amount for something whose only function is to divert the air a bit. They could make them a LOT, LOT cheaper and let them just burn up on reentry.

Aug 20, 2020
Visit site
Not sure if you're saying you believe it is an animation or that the quality of it is as good as an animation, but the article states: "...a success captured by a camera-equipped drone. "

Aug 23, 2020
Visit site
"...the fairings, which cost about $6 million each ..."

That's a ridiculous amount for something whose only function is to divert the air a bit. They could make them a LOT, LOT cheaper and let them just burn up on reentry.

It's math.

SpaceX launches 20-25 commercial & govt. satellites a year, plus they're launching their own Starlink worldwide data constellation; 12,000 satellites at 60 satellites/launch just for Phase 1. Phase 2 would add another 30,000 satellites.

Launching Starlink Phase 1 using disposable Falcon 9 fairings would increase its deployment cost by $1.2 billion.

Starlink Phase 2 will launch using their in development, massive, and fully reusable Starship multi-purpose vehicle - 400 satellites at a time.

Starship is 9 meters wide and 50 meters long, with 6 massive Raptor engines for propulsion and 1,000 cubic meters of payload bay.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2020
Visit site
What math? You don't show anything which disputes my comment. The fact that they are going to be deploying lots of stuff doesn't negate what I said. Remember, a lot of that $6 million for the reusable fairings is the cost to clean them up and get them ready FOR reuse. I'd be willing to bet THAT cost is more than just using new, cheap, disposable ones.