Was Freud right about anything?

Page 3 - For the science geek in everyone, Live Science breaks down the stories behind the most interesting news and photos on the Internet.
Mar 9, 2020
Visit site
Thank you @Michel

You have given me ideas for about three years of reading, at my pace. Perhaps I can find in the mental reasoning literature, a visual reasoning task that Japanese are demonstrably better at. There a couple of pieces of research of this type
1) Japanese are better at visualizing inside things
all, O. E., & Torrance, E. P. (1978). Culture and tendencies to drawobjects in internal visual perspective.Perceptual & Motor Skills, 47,1071–1075.
Ⅰhaven't read this but the test is summarised here
View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/nihonbunka/16200715386/

2) East Asians are faster at visual perspective taking
Wu, S., & Keysar, B. (2007). The effect of culture on perspective taking. Psychological science, 18(7), 600–606. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/6222801_The_Effect_of_Culture_on_Perspective_Taking

I chant a mantra (the most famous, the nembutsu, namu-amidabutsu) to
eradicate my mental nurdlings.

Lately I also try repeating the Lord's Prayer with a Freudian spin. Hallowing of the name of the father, Abba, dad may be like not saying D_d, (like G_d or YHWH), and thereby eradicating the notion of a worldly D_d. Wishing that D_d's kingdom come, may be wishing for the end of the distinction between world and mental contents, or moving parents out of my head into the world, as heaven/ respecting the things in my head as G_ds. Forgiving of debts and having forgiven those indebted to us reminds me of the Freudian/Oediple theme of getting the love that one lost as a child from ones wife. It is the reverse in Japan. One is recommend to pay back the love one received as a child to ones children.

I should think about visual reasoning rather than such baloney (that I believe in).

I have a new research student who wants to study culture and the use
of color. I wonder if there is chromatic reasoning. It may also be time to read
about Synesthesia.

Thanks again

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021
Visit site
This is a typical example of the resistance to Freud that has beset psychoanalysis from the outset--and a rather weak attack at that. A more interesting article would be how Freud was right about almost everything! Here are some of the examples of things Freud was right about:
1) Dreams--still the best theory out there (disguised "wish fulfillment"
2) Fundamental and continued attraction to the first love object, usually the mother
3) Persistence of the infantile--e.g. narcissism, play, love, etc. (e.g. The President and his followers.)
4) Sexual "perversions" as the repressed nature of human sexuality
5) Misogyny as based on repressed desire for the mother.
Or, if you like, a one word defense: note the frequent use of the common term for sex with the mother (not even allowed to print it here, as well as the term for the woman's genitalia as opposed to the male's).
Etc. Etc.
Yes of course, just like shooting with a machine gun and saying that I am a sharpshooter because I managed to hit 2 bullseyes. The problem with Freud's theories is not that they are all incorrect it's that there are so many of them that for everyone that is correct there are 10 that are not, and at that point that is just luck. Praising him as some sort of genius makes you absolutely ignorant of all the other things he's done.

May 26, 2023
Visit site
I don't know if anyone is still posting to this forum, but It is 5:10 in the morning where I am, I am writing my outline for an essay I am doing in college. The topic is centered around the technology advancements from the 1800s (Freud) to the 1900s (Skinner)

All this guy did was use objective observations, and not even all of them at that. He read some articles which he used his sight for, and then hearing, because I'm sure he watched a few videos here and therre.

I truly believe that science can't ever be completely objective, with emotions, beliefs, values all coming into play at every angle. So, here is my thought, and hopefully someone responds to this.

What if we broke it down just like Freud did? Im going to use his theory of psychosexual stages as my example, and basically my whole theory that Freud was not only a fantastic and brilliant Psychologist, but he was right about a lot, more so than I think even he knew at the time.

When Freud explained the psychosexual stages, stated there were 5 of them? Oral, Anal, Phallic, Latency, and Genital. What else has 5? There are quite a few things that have sequences of 5, whether they are steps or something like our 5 senses. Which refer to sight, taste, touch, smell, and hearing.
Then you have your 5 main neurotransmitters, which are serotonin, dopamine, oxytocin, vassopressin, and norepinephrine. What if all of these played a role in what Freud was trying to accomplish. By saying what this guy is saying, he didn't talk to Freud himself, so how could he really truly know what freud was like or how freud thought, acted.

Simplify it a bit

Psychosexual Stages
Stage 1: Oral- Derives pleasure with taste, using mouth (oral) and with too little causes depression which is a result of low levels of serotonin.

Stage 2: Anal- Ability to control bladder and or bowel movements

1. Creates sense of competency, creativity and productivity.
2. All associated with touch, low serotonin level, high dopamine- also associated with depression and anxiety
3. Phallic Stage (6 years to puberty)