virus evolution?

Dear all,

This may be interesting on not --

1, Over time as the host evolves does the virus change also?

If, there is any truth in the above could genetic changes in the host trigger changes in the virus 'lodger'.

2, Organ transplants are life giving and amazing . However if - viruses contained in some of the donors cells are introduced into the transplant recipients bodies might they not mutate more rapidly?

Then, due to having to adapt to new tissue proteins evolve differently than they would have done had they not been transplanted.

Importantly - I feel - the recipients natural immunosuppressants are (due to anti-rejection protocols ) attenuated so the virus has a greater scope for change.

Planetary idea - Dust which is ubiquitous in interstellar regions might carry viruses to other parts of space .

Is it possible that there is a virus 'precourser' even on asteroids buried deep in rocky asteroids deep enough to be protected from radiation and powerful magnetic fields that could carry them out into space?

Speculation? yes but thoughts nevertheless.

?Very best wishes,

Marj.

Very thought provoking questions. I'll venture a comment how I think Evolution works with hosts and viruses. If a host has a defense against a virus invasion, the virus fails to reproduce and doesn't mutate. If the virus infects a host and rapidly kills that host, that virus' reproduction is limited and eventually stops due to a lack of hosts. Viruses that infect a host mutate via reproduction and may develop to be able to surmount other host's defenses and thus reproduce and mutate further. A vaccine boosts/jump starts a host's defenses and limits a virus' reproduction and mutation. I'm using the Polio and Small Pox diseases/vaccines as examples. As for virus "precursors" I have no knowledge.

Planetary idea - Dust which is ubiquitous in interstellar regions might carry viruses to other parts of space .

Is it possible that there is a virus 'precourser' even on asteroids buried deep in rocky asteroids deep enough to be protected from radiation and powerful magnetic fields that could carry them out into space?

Marj.

What you are describing is Panspermia...

I have not read this link, but assume it gives some relevant info-

Jun 3, 2021
Visit site
Dear all,

This may be interesting on not --

1, Over time as the host evolves does the virus change also? MyBalanceNow

If, there is any truth in the above could genetic changes in the host trigger changes in the virus 'lodger'.

2, Organ transplants are life giving and amazing . However if - viruses contained in some of the donors cells are introduced into the transplant recipients bodies might they not mutate more rapidly?

Then, due to having to adapt to new tissue proteins evolve differently than they would have done had they not been transplanted.

Importantly - I feel - the recipients natural immunosuppressants are (due to anti-rejection protocols ) attenuated so the virus has a greater scope for change.

Speculation? yes but thoughts nevertheless.

?Very best wishes,

Marj.
There’s still a debate going on as to whether viruses are even alive. It’s just a protein core that does nothing at all, can’t even reproduce itself, unless a living cell runs into it. Viruses scare me.

Last edited:
A host can evolve a defense, (antibodies, poisons, sharp spines), against a virus, bacterial, or other species. Right now there is a plethora of information on Sars-Cov-2 and it's variants on the internet news services. So if one wants a scare along with the morning cup(s) of coffee, I suggest reading these daily updates. Also, the standard general information biology text book would provide clarification on Evolution and genetic mutation.

I am currently picturing humans dressed as hedgehogs to ward off COVID19 now :D
Actually since the covid-19 pandemic began sundry female personalities have made it routine events to appear on the internet with fewer and fewer amounts of clothing. Given that these bodacious women started with skimpy bikinis, their quaint, but interesting proclivity has provided an early morning "eye opener" as well as relief from the dreary news about covid-19. I can only wish these curvaceous women well with their Evolutionary experiment for covid-19 protection.

adam

BANNED
Jul 2, 2020
Visit site
The continuous mutation of the CCP virus, with multiple variants circulating around the world, could be described as the “next pandemic,” a top Taiwanese health official has warned.

Wu Chung-hsiun, President of Taiwan’s Development Center for Biotechnology (DCB) and Director of the Biotechnology and Pharmaceutical Industries Promotion Office of Taiwan’s Ministry of Economic Affairs (MOEA), told The Epoch Times he thought it was too early to predict the end of the COVID-19 pandemic “because this [virus]…keeps mutating and is still infecting people around the world.”

It is also likely we will get immunity

Antibody studies almost certainly underestimate natural immunity. Antibody testing doesn’t capture antigen-specific T-cells, which develop “memory” once they are activated by the virus. Survivors of the 1918 Spanish flu were found in 2008—90 years later—to have memory cells still able to produce neutralizing antibodies.

Researchers at Sweden’s Karolinska Institute found that the percentage of people mounting a T-cell response after mild or asymptomatic Covid-19 infection consistently exceeded the percentage with detectable antibodies. T-cell immunity was even present in people who were exposed to infected family members but never developed symptoms. A group of U.K. scientists in September pointed out that the medical community may be under-appreciating the prevalence of immunity from activated T-cells.

Covid-19 deaths in the U.S. would also suggest much broader immunity than recognized. About 1 in 600 Americans has died of Covid-19, which translates to a population fatality rate of about 0.15%. The Covid-19 infection fatality rate is about 0.23%. These numbers indicate that roughly two-thirds of the U.S. population has had the infection.

In my own conversations with medical experts, I have noticed that they too often dismiss natural immunity, arguing that we don’t have data. The data certainly doesn’t fit the classic randomized-controlled-trial model of the old-guard medical establishment. There’s no control group. But the observational data is compelling.

I have argued for months that we could save more American lives if those with prior Covid-19 infection forgo vaccines until all vulnerable seniors get their first dose. Several studies demonstrate that natural immunity should protect those who had Covid-19 until more vaccines are available. Half my friends in the medical community told me: Good idea. The other half said there isn’t enough data on natural immunity, despite the fact that reinfections have occurred in less than 1% of people—and when they do occur, the cases are mild.

I have argued for months that we could save more American lives if those with prior Covid-19 infection forgo vaccines until all vulnerable seniors get their first dose.

In a modern democratic country I would very much doubt a population would accept this idea with the organisation to accurately roll out being impossible.

In the USA, all it would take is one false negative preventing a vaccine and that person;s subsequent death to have a disaster of a lawsuit.

You would also create a situation where people would resist random tests for fear of losing the possibility of a vaccine.

Oct 13, 2021
Visit site
In a modern democratic country I would very much doubt a population would accept this idea with the organisation to accurately roll out being impossible.

In the USA, all it would take is one false negative preventing a vaccine and that person;s subsequent death to have a disaster of a lawsuit.

You would also create a situation where people would resist random tests for fear of losing the possibility of a vaccine.

My Balance Now

I'm going to speculate that every country at the top of that list is underreporting. You don't get there by having good government practices.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2021
Visit site
Viral evolution refers to the heritable genetic changes that a virus accumulates during its life time, which can arise from adaptations in response to environmental changes or the immune response of the host. Because of their short generation times and large population sizes, viruses can evolve rapidly.
njmcdirect.com

Last edited: