Viral claim that only 6% of COVID-19 deaths were caused by the virus is flat-out wrong

Sep 2, 2020
1
1
10
COVID-19 is also often asymptomatic in people with underlying conditions and may cause no complications at all. Yet it is still listed as the cause of death even though the patient had no COVID-19 symptoms.

If the same methodology of testing, categorizing, and tracking deaths were used with regard to the seasonal Flu, the death toll would be higher than 150,000 every year for the Flu, and we would have a permanent lockdown.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Rodkeh
Sep 3, 2020
1
0
10
Except we have a vaccine for the flu, understand it better, and have treatments to match the Flu. But sure, let's not even consider any of that. 🤔
 
Nov 27, 2019
14
4
35
The problem with the numbers is that many deaths were counted as caused by COVID when there was no evidence or testing. That's why so many are quick to believe the "6%" number. Disinformation from both sides.
 
Sep 3, 2020
2
3
10
COVID-19 is often more severe in people with underlying conditions and it can also cause complications. The 6% stat doesn't include these people.

Viral claim that only 6% of COVID-19 deaths were caused by the virus is flat-out wrong : Read more
Also the Vaccine
Except we have a vaccine for the flu, understand it better, and have treatments to match the Flu. But sure, let's not even consider any of that. 🤔
But remember that the vaccine for the flu is a guess that the strand of the flu is the same one as the vaccine is designed to combat, and all that is educated guess work!
Where is the Data that children that don't have underling conditions would be more susceptible to the Virus? Why doesn't the science advance the theory that the Schools should re-open?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Rodkeh and VElli44
Sep 3, 2020
2
3
10
The problem with the numbers is that many deaths were counted as caused by COVID when there was no evidence or testing. That's why so many are quick to believe the "6%" number. Disinformation from both sides.
Likewise people who line up to be tested, but don't complete the test, are notified that they have COVID!
The Truth is not being made available.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Rodkeh
Sep 3, 2020
1
1
10
This is exactly what happened back in April when Prof. Walter Ricciardi, science advisor to Italy's health care minister, said that only 8% of Italy's Covid-19 deaths had any direct correlation to Covid-19, and that the rest all had serious medical conditions, advanced age and other premorbidities, sometimes multiple premorbidities.

This is the problem with marking anyone who does WITH covid-19 as dying OF covid-19, which is our policy in the US, per Deborah Birx. The CDC's updated report even includes deaths by accidental injury of a person with Covid-19 as a Covid-19 death..

By this same logic, George Floyd died of Covid-19..

The CDC's guidelines also stated that testing was not necessary, that a medical professional could use their best judgement to assume that a deceased had Covid-19 and mark that as a Covid-19 death without ever testing the deceased..

The only way we're going to get an accurate death count is when the official stats come out in a year from now and we see how many total people died compared to other years.

Ireland keeps these death statistics monthly. And in April, at the height of the pandemic, less people died in Ireland than died in April of 2018...
 
  • Like
Reactions: Rodkeh
Sep 4, 2020
1
1
15
I don't think most people believe that only 6% of deaths were only Covid-related. People realize that the other 94% had Covid involved, but that if they didn't have comorbidities, most would likely be alive today. THE POINT is.... if you're relatively healthy and not obese, or have severe diabetes etc. or elderly, then you have a 99% + chance of surviving, and very likely without any complications. AND that sloppy coding is upping the numbers when the cause wasn't Covid. The problem now is that the government/CDC and media are causing us to be overly fearful of this virus - I get it, they want people to be responsible and keep it from spreading. But is mask shaming and closing businesses and schools the way to do it? At this point the virus and controlling it is becoming overtly political in nature. Let's be honest: both political parties want to be the heroes of flattening the curve. If businesses and schools open now, then Trump could take credit and win the election. And then Trump is now trying to take over the CDC and release a fast-tracked and potentially dangerous vaccine. And now the CDC calls an eviction moratorium because Congress couldn't get it's sh*t together, in order to keep newly homeless from spreading the virus. At this point, it seems that politics>lives.
 
  • Like
Reactions: bchill
Sep 6, 2020
1
0
10
This is exactly what happened back in April when Prof. Walter Ricciardi, science advisor to Italy's health care minister, said that only 8% of Italy's Covid-19 deaths had any direct correlation to Covid-19, and that the rest all had serious medical conditions, advanced age and other premorbidities, sometimes multiple premorbidities.

This is the problem with marking anyone who does WITH covid-19 as dying OF covid-19, which is our policy in the US, per Deborah Birx. The CDC's updated report even includes deaths by accidental injury of a person with Covid-19 as a Covid-19 death..

By this same logic, George Floyd died of Covid-19..

The CDC's guidelines also stated that testing was not necessary, that a medical professional could use their best judgement to assume that a deceased had Covid-19 and mark that as a Covid-19 death without ever testing the deceased..

The only way we're going to get an accurate death count is when the official stats come out in a year from now and we see how many total people died compared to other years.

Ireland keeps these death statistics monthly. And in April, at the height of the pandemic, less people died in Ireland than died in April of 2018...
Except that we need to remember there's a delay between infection and death. When you inconveniently look at longer date range of 25th of March to 5th of May, you see that Ireland actually had 1200 deaths in excess of the 5 year average. Not a good example to choose. 🤷‍♂️

 
Oct 16, 2020
1
1
10
The statement "But the other 94% of deaths were still caused by COVID-19, infectious disease experts said." is also untrue. We do see numerous reports and stories of many different groups of doctors and nurses from around the Country, (Florida, Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Virginia, Texas, and other States) that have spoken out against being forced to misrepresent Covid deaths in what they claimed were for political reasons. Some claimed that they were forced to do things like mark automobile accident victims who had Covid as Covid deaths. When they refused, they were fired. You can see the validity of these by search. I'm afraid even life threatening illnesses are not off limits for some people to mislead others for political purposes. Sick puppies...
 
  • Like
Reactions: Rodkeh
Oct 19, 2020
3
1
10
Mar 24, 2020
5
2
15
The real issue is what percentage of people died due to preventable comorbidities (e.g. diabetes, etc) and whether or not that's higher than the percentage of people in the general population that have preventable comorbidities. The data that I am seeing suggests that the percentage of people who had underlying conditions that died of covid is much higher than the percentage of such people in general population.

Around 80% of the dead at at least 2 comorbidities, a percentage that does not seem to be true of the population as a whole. It's one thing to have an immunocompromise due to circumstances beyond your control (e.g. some cancers, sickle cell, ALS, etc.), but when you have 2 or more conditions, the likelihood that at least one of the comorbidities is lifestyle-driven is pretty high.

While there is some argument for lack of education or economic hinderances that result in poor lifestyle, those factors seem insignificant compared to people knowing better but simply not caring. I am amazed how many people I know simply just don't care about their health.

People could have done a lot more to save themselves and could be doing more of that _now_.

We can point fingers all we want to, but at the end of the day, I'd estimate that at least 50% of the dead would still be alive if they had had a better diet and gotten some exercise.

This aspect needs focus. Arguing about whether it was the underlying conditions or covid that killed people isn't going to save many of them, probably most of them.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: VElli44
Dec 20, 2020
1
0
10
COVID-19 is also often asymptomatic in people with underlying conditions and may cause no complications at all. Yet it is still listed as the cause of death even though the patient had no COVID-19 symptoms.

If the same methodology of testing, categorizing, and tracking deaths were used with regard to the seasonal Flu, the death toll would be higher than 150,000 every year for the Flu, and we would have a permanent lockdown.
That's a preposterous presumption. How many people do you think are asymptomatic with the flu? Very few if any. So no, it wouldn't increase the death toll for the flu and we wouldn't be on permanent lock down. And there are also very few people dying with covid that are asymptomatic, so that doesn't contribute a significant number either. The whole premise of your statement is entirely asinine.

Also, most deaths caused by influenza also involved underlying conditions and comorbidities. So if you want to compare the 6% from covid only, do it with the flu only deaths. There are very few. Most involve pneumonia.
 
Oct 15, 2020
7
0
30
Also the Vaccine

But remember that the vaccine for the flu is a guess that the strand of the flu is the same one as the vaccine is designed to combat, and all that is educated guess work!
Where is the Data that children that don't have underling conditions would be more susceptible to the Virus? Why doesn't the science advance the theory that the Schools should re-open?
We (in the northern hemisphere) get to have a very good guess as to what strains of the flu will be around now from what those in the southern hemisphere get 6 months earlier. And the southern hemisphere get to guess for their season 6 months from now, from what we have now. So you develop vaccines for those likely strains and combine them together in the vaccine you're injected with. Sometimes others pop up in the intervening 6 months, and some times others don't show up six months later. It's always a crap shoot. The proof of the pudding is that even with guessing wrong sometimes (it's never just ONE flu strain), the overall results in death counts are still better than doing nothing.

It does advance the theory that open schools are critical for child development. There are pros and cons to everything. The hard part is striking the right balance, and living with the screams of those who think for whatever reason that you're wrong - either way.
 
Jan 22, 2020
6
6
535
What do we know about COVID?
We know that it is a respiratory affliction, verified by the high demand for respirators.
The fact that virtually no children die from COVID further enforces the fact that it is a respiratory infection since children's respiratory systems are at their peek, even though their immune systems are week.
The fact that the vast majority of victims are elderly further supports the fact that it is respiratory in nature since both our immune and respiratory systems decline with age.
We know that 94% of fatalities are comorbid, all of which tells us that this is a very week and mild virus, that only kills the top 6% of the sickest and weakest elderly. For the other 94%, COVID was just along for the ride and only acts as a canary in a coal mine and signals the sufferer that other issues exist, because most people never know they have had it, so they need to look at what else is wrong.
 
Oct 15, 2020
7
0
30
What do we know about COVID?
We know that it is a respiratory affliction, verified by the high demand for respirators.
The fact that virtually no children die from COVID further enforces the fact that it is a respiratory infection since children's respiratory systems are at their peek, even though their immune systems are week.
The fact that the vast majority of victims are elderly further supports the fact that it is respiratory in nature since both our immune and respiratory systems decline with age.
We know that 94% of fatalities are comorbid, all of which tells us that this is a very week and mild virus, that only kills the top 6% of the sickest and weakest elderly. For the other 94%, COVID was just along for the ride and only acts as a canary in a coal mine and signals the sufferer that other issues exist, because most people never know they have had it, so they need to look at what else is wrong.
Your position presupposes that everyone who dies is dying at more or less the same point covid or otherwise, are weak and frail, and that Covid was just a coincidence.

But the comorbidity might be that of asthma, in a young reasonably health adult's life cut short - asthma sufferers' life expectancy is not that much different than anyone else's because the drugs available normally control it quite well.

Your position is clearly and obviously false, as the excess death statistics attest. In fact, the excess deaths (look up "excess death cdc" and see the charts that prove it) statistics show the official covid-19 death counts in the US are actually *LOW*, not too high. In fact, at one recent point excess deaths in the US were running 41% *above* normal death rates. Even as recently as last Sept, the conclusion was that the death toll given by official "covid" death stats was 28% below reality, and in some cases frighteningly wrong - some 53% too low in Texas at the time.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY