'Vigorous' magnetic field oddity spotted over South Atlantic

May 19, 2020
Visit site
Yes, GPS works on precise timing coordinated among various satellites that emit timing signals. The satellites are equipped with atomic clocks so that they are all synchronized to the true, accurate time. Then any timing differences from multiple satellites received by the GPS device allows the device to know the precise relative distance it is from the satellites and 'triangulate' its position.

Compasses are often integrated into the GPS device as an aid for orienting a displayed map, routing and other features provided on the GPS device itself. However, the GPS positioning information is not dependent on the earth's magnetic field.

Jan 23, 2020
Visit site
European satellites are investigating the development of two distinct weak points within the South Atlantic Anomaly of Earth's magnetic field.

'Vigorous' magnetic field oddity spotted over South Atlantic : Read more
This article just demonstrates how foolish all the climate change rhetoric is. Earth is not permanent, humans on earth are not permanent. There are so many things that can happen that we have no control over - any of which will end humanity. The magnetic field is just one of those things. Dr. Fauci funding gain-of-function for viruses is another. There are countless others and one day, one of them will probably happen. So enjoy life today, stop worrying about stupid stuff and do something meaningful with your life.

Mar 30, 2020
Visit site
"The magnetic field is why compasses and GPS work ", sadly I have come to the conclusion that Livescience is largely written by authors who could not actually get a job actually using science.

The anomalies in the earth's magnetic field are not only well known but also somewhat expected. The earth's internal liquid iron core is essentially 2 major rivers of molten material flowing in opposite directions. At somewhat regular intervals over the earth's history those slow drastically and become disorganized for a short period of time before reforming and beginning to flow in the opposite directions, i.e. one that had a basically clockwise flow will now resume counter-clockwise and vice versa. The pattern we are now in has not reversed on a long time (approx 780,000 years) and the previous reversals were on a much shorter time scale ( 200-400K years). Changes in the magnetic field have a real effect on the earths environment though the changes do happen slowly but the possibility for more rapid changes is always a possibility given the very random nature of the change at the point of field reversal.

Totally off topic, bit I want to thank you guys for these articles and discussions. I usually read articles like this in the news, but here i don’t have to filter through anything else. Everything I’m interested in is lumped together discussing current events in science. I’m no expert, so I usually don’t comment, but i love being enriched in every which way your audience and your article deliverers the discussion and when there is so much sadness to read in the news I just wanted to thank you all for giving us alternative topics. Ok emotional dorky delivery :D

Reactions: MMohammed and Sally