VAPING: real concerns, comments welcome

Nov 18, 2019
Visit site
Hi there.
I have a number of good friends who were heavy smokers. The advent of vaping allowed most of them to get off a habit that was definitely going to result in early death to one that had immediate and noticeable effects:
- less shortness of breath
- whiter teeth (and fingers)
- freedom to slowly adjust their nicotine habit (only one of the 9 I know actually increased nicotine intake, the others all dropped down and two have actually quit altogether)
- plus I no longer have to deal with the stench of cigarette smoke. As an asthmatic, secondary tobacco smoke was always a major trigger of my breathing issues (I do not smoke or vape)

So far everyone I know (yes, 9 is small for a test group) is far, far better off for switching from cigarettes to vaping. The vapor exhaled does not affect me at all, which is a very welcome change.

I and my friends are horrified to read about the number of people, mostly young, who are now facing sudden and serious health crisis that is apparently associated with vaping. We're following along and trying to track what's happened, and so far, these seem the main suspects:
- massive intake, like chain-smoking via vape. Any massive volume of not-air can't be good.
- the addition of vitamin e to some vape mixtures
- lack of FDA oversight on what ingredients/proportions are used - we've certainly found out over the years what sort of crap goes into "tobacco," and this should happen with anything people ingest into their bodies,including vape mixtures.
- possibly faulty or over-adjustable vape devices that allow superheated air to be inhaled - with or without anything added, extremely hot air will damage tissue. It's like getting a steam burn, nasty. If internal, we can imagine that such damage (tongue, palate trachea, lungs) would be at enormous risk for bacterial infection.

Let's talk about this!
I am disheartened to some extent by the knee-jerk reaction to vape products we've seen lately. The deaths are terrible, but regular tobacco is far worse (even if it only manifests in the long term).
Getting rid of the crazy fruit/candy flavors, sure. We certainly don't want kids hooked on something that they can't step back from.
Making nicotine/tobacco illegal will merely result in an underground industry, which means worse potential health concerns.

OK, that was longer than intended - input welcome!
~W

Reactions: Truthseeker007

Rachael

Staff member
Nov 22, 2019
Visit site
I don't smoke or vape, but I've written a number of articles covering the recent vaping outbreak. It is alarming to see previously healthy people develop such serious lung illnesses in a relatively short period of time. It appears that most of the cases are tied to use of THC-containing vaping products from informal sources, such as the black market. I think it's wise to follow the CDC recommendation not to use THC-containing vaping products, particularly from informal sources.

Reactions: Truthseeker007
Nov 26, 2019
Visit site
Our lungs are designed to take in only molecules that are airborne and of a specific temperature and size. The lungs have evolved to deal with these elements, airborne bacteria and other particles over generations with the ever changing atmosphere. But as all these particles are usually within the local temperature range, the lungs know how to deal with them, as protection systems are at play which evolution produced over time.

Now with these vaping devices the liquid chemicals inside are being heated up to higher temperatures to vaporize the chemicals, thus heating the particles but also reducing the size of them, which in turn creates problems for the lungs, by way of absorption. The heat damage to the very delicate Alveoli (the part of the organ responsible for our breathing in Oxygen and releasing CO2 among trace elements in gases), is damaging to the point it will prevent normal breathing if the abuse to this delicate organ persists.

Vaping has got to be the worlds worst non scientifically backed health risk, and the health problems that will arise from these devices, will continue to cause breathing and health complications even death if not regulated with design changes (inhaling temperature) and monitoring of safe chemicals for use.

I switched from cigs to vapes and I am much healthier and smell better. I think this whole vape scare was set up by big tobacco so people switch back. Also people should buy their vape juice at a licensed store instead of buying homemade vape juice. I have never had any problems and I think it is great. Don't trust the mainstream news on the whole thing.

Our lungs are designed to take in only molecules that are airborne and of a specific temperature and size. The lungs have evolved to deal with these elements, airborne bacteria and other particles over generations with the ever changing atmosphere. But as all these particles are usually within the local temperature range, the lungs know how to deal with them, as protection systems are at play which evolution produced over time.

Now with these vaping devices the liquid chemicals inside are being heated up to higher temperatures to vaporize the chemicals, thus heating the particles but also reducing the size of them, which in turn creates problems for the lungs, by way of absorption. The heat damage to the very delicate Alveoli (the part of the organ responsible for our breathing in Oxygen and releasing CO2 among trace elements in gases), is damaging to the point it will prevent normal breathing if the abuse to this delicate organ persists.

Vaping has got to be the worlds worst non scientifically backed health risk, and the health problems that will arise from these devices, will continue to cause breathing and health complications even death if not regulated with design changes (inhaling temperature) and monitoring of safe chemicals for use.
I would say your information is faulty.