US baby formula shortage: What to know

IMO, we are experiencing the results of unexpected, unanticipated and untoward polices of a "What me worry" government, and complicated by faulty manufacturer quality control. Such similar issues appear endemic in the U.S. economy. Note: real and serious issues of babies which require specific formulas need to addressed by government post haste.

Reactions: jbundy48
The "traditional and time honored" method of breast feeding has been augmented with sundry baby formulas which provide options and alternatives to nursing mothers especially where physical, economic and medical issues exist. The current U.S. shortage of baby formula is unconscionable. Suffice it to say Americans can do something about this and other government failures in the November elections. In the interim, Pediatricians should be consulted for guidance. Likewise, elected representatives should be contacted and where appropriate excoriated.

Mar 24, 2020
Visit site
The "traditional and time honored" method of breast feeding has been augmented with sundry baby formulas which provide options and alternatives to nursing mothers especially where physical, economic and medical issues exist. The current U.S. shortage of baby formula is unconscionable. Suffice it to say Americans can do something about this and other government failures in the November elections. In the interim, Pediatricians should be consulted for guidance. Likewise, elected representatives should be contacted and where appropriate excoriated.
The problem here in our USA is that employers will not provide spaces at work where women can breastfeed their child. Another case where our "family friendly" country is anything but. It's always just "about the money".

Child Care facilities and extended work from home programs seem better options than having children at a work site with its attendant liabilities. Additionally, financial security programs for families caring for infants and young children may be in a society's best interest and thus worthy of tax funded support. Basically, the issue of "family friendly" is a mix of economic costs, skilled worker availability, a country's development level and a function of a society's population size.

Reactions: jbundy48
Mar 24, 2020
Visit site
If a mother could work at home she could provide the best nutrition via breast milk. Problem solved. But of course some women can't lactate or baby can't latch. Then for that minority formula will continue to be used, but at a much rate by the mothers in our country. My brothers and I were fed by our Mom and we're all healthy in our 70s.

Reactions: Snorrie
There is no question in my mind that breast feeding can't be beat. And it's more than just nutrition and immunities....and good growth. There is a deep emotional family bonding that is life long....that comes with breast feeding.

But that has nothing to do with formula shortage. The reports I have read are a little different than the article's account. And you may be sure the government's fingers are in it. DNA tracking and tracing are fast and cheap now. None of the consumer contaminants were traced back to plant. The contaminants found at the plant, were environmental and not in production chain. They were all normal.

Even with the press covering all this incompetence up, we all know where the problem is. Government oversight and permission tyranny is causing our shortages and killing our economy. Long hot summer. We have much more than just formula shortages. With the current price of fuel, many more shortages are coming. The worse shortage of all, worthless money. High fuel price rises all product prices.

I think it's just the beginning.

The FDA let the plant open back up today. And let foreign made formula into the country. Let's see how long it takes to stock the shelves.