Trial of chloroquine to treat COVID-19 stopped early due to heart complications

Nov 26, 2019
Visit site
I take it and they are more concerned with its effects on the eyes. I get checked every year at the eye doctor to check to see if it has effected my eyes. I take 200 mg twice a day with a meals the only thing I can think is they are taking 450 mg all at once. Mine is mainly used for arthritus.

Reactions: marcinhauk
Apr 13, 2020
Visit site
I take it and they are more concerned with its effects on the eyes. I get checked every year at the eye doctor to check to see if it has effected my eyes. I take 200 mg twice a day with a meals the only thing I can think is they are taking 450 mg all at once. Mine is mainly used for arthritus.
Me too, I take it for 13 years for Sjogreen's Syndrome. The same, they are concerned with the effect on the eyes!

Reactions: RayCane
Apr 13, 2020
Visit site
This paper is misleading and frankly dangerous. It discourages people from taking the medication if they need it. This is why. The dose they were given was way over the recommended dose. ANY medication taken at 3 times the suggested dose if of course more likely to get complications. The headline should say, when a medication is taken as an overdose, you get complications at a higher rate than when you take the normal dose. Please pull this article or be responsible for any deaths from people not taking medication they need at the proper dose.

Apr 13, 2020
Visit site
One must first find the correct dosage. Pharmaceuticals (like shoes) are not one size fits all. They will not work if the dosage is not correct. Many medications will not work with the once daily regimen either, or will work at only fifty percent optimization. with atenolol which I take for hypertension. I was given fifty milligrams once daily.. My systolic and diastolic went crazy, far out of balance. I began to have episodes of hypotension. After I cut the dosage in half and did twenty-five milligrams twice daily my hypertension began to level out and the hypo with the hypertension greatly diminished.. I also have talked with others that had bouts of hypotension and discovered that they too were given fifty milligrams once daily.
Most doctors are not aware of this contradiction in the B.M.I.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2020
Visit site
This paper is misleading and frankly dangerous. It discourages people from taking the medication if they need it. This is why. The dose they were given was way over the recommended dose. ANY medication taken at 3 times the suggested dose if of course more likely to get complications. The headline should say, when a medication is taken as an overdose, you get complications at a higher rate than when you take the normal dose. Please pull this article or be responsible for any deaths from people not taking medication they need at the proper dose.
I agree, seems like they were more looking for a reason not to use the drug to treat covid. Big question for me is: if this was a double blind study, how did they know it was the subjects on the high dose regimen that developed arrhythmia? Wouldn't an honest researcher that noticed an increase in arrhythmia in his subjects halt the experiment all together?

Apr 13, 2020
Visit site
Holy Chloroquine Batman!!!

600mg twice a day over 10 days for a total of 12 grams! Yes - 12 grams total consumed at the end of day ten! Are these medical professionals or did they stay at a Holiday Inn Express prior to thinking up this study?

Apr 13, 2020
Visit site
LIke many drugs, its not for everybody. There's hardly a one-drug-fixes-all treatment for anything. But the alternative sometimes means no treatment at all for some people that will likely die anyway. Are we going to wait for another treatment? Perhaps sometime later in the year? In the meantime, just call people sick with Covid-19, collateral damage?

Apr 13, 2020
Visit site
In the Brazilian study, some patients taking a high dose of the drug developed dangerous heart rhythm problems.

Trial of chloroquine to treat COVID-19 stopped early due to heart complications : Read more
Chloroquine Phosphate is NOT Hydroxychloroquine. The Phosphate compound is the same one that the idiot wife in Arizona fed to her now dead husband via a bottle of Koi Pond Cleaner. This article's representation of the Phosphate as Hydroxychloroquine is reprehensible.

Apr 13, 2020
Visit site
If some of you would read the article properly, it was a trial of 600mg, and they found it dangerous so stopped it. Why don't you read properly!
I reiterate: Chloroquine Phosphate is NOT hydroxychloroquine. The phosphate is found in Koi POnd Cleaner, among other things. Either the editors here are jackasses - or whoever conducted that study is misleading the reader. They are not the same.
Me too, I take it for 13 years for Sjogreen's Syndrome. The same, they are concerned with the effect on the eyes!

Note that Chloroquine Phosphate is not the same compound as hydroxychloroquine. (Try looking up Phosphates as pesticides, and how that poisoning is supposed to be treated. Apparently, they didn't bother to keep any physostigmine on hand, or other compound that could potential reverse the deleterious side effects which are KNOWN secondary to pesticide poisoning. smh... Aspirin and Tylenol can kill you too if you take enough of either one. The editorial staff should be reprimanded for lack of clarity. FWIW: note that chloroquine is included in thw WHO's MODEL List of ESSENTIAL MEDICATIONS...those being safe enough and necessary to be included in a complete armamentarium. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WHO_Model_List_of_Essential_Medicines

Reactions: Hayseed
Apr 13, 2020
Visit site
Chloroquine Phosphate is NOT Hydroxychloroquine. The Phosphate compound is the same one that the idiot wife in Arizona fed to her now dead husband via a bottle of Koi Pond Cleaner. This article's representation of the Phosphate as Hydroxychloroquine is reprehensible.

We must be reading different articles. I am not seeing anywhere in article where it states Chloroquine is Hydroxychloroquine. Also, there is no such thing as Koi Pond Cleaner unless you are referring to simple green and a green pad. There is, though that is now past tense so best term now is there was prescription chloroquine marked up 5 times and then sold as anti-parasitic fish medicine. In the past it was not unusual for anti-parasitic fish medicine to have the Aralen logo on each tablet. 5 grams of Hydroxychoroquine or chloroquine, which is what couple in Arizona took (each) is more than a lethal dose.

I looked it up. Chloroquine Phosphate is used to treat malaria too and other things. The
hydroxychloroquine is a less toxic "cousin". It's used for other things also.

You are certainly correct. That drug down there was not the same as the trump drug.

Apr 13, 2020
Visit site
One must first find the correct dosage. Pharmaceuticals (like shoes) are not one size fits all. They will not work if the dosage is not correct. Many medications will not work with the once daily regimen either, or will work at only fifty percent optimization. with atenolol which I take for hypertension. I was given fifty milligrams once daily.. My systolic and diastolic went crazy, far out of balance. I began to have episodes of hypotension. After I cut the dosage in half and did twenty-five milligrams twice daily my hypertension began to level out and the hypo with the hypertension greatly diminished.. I also have talked with others that had bouts of hypotension and discovered that they too were given fifty milligrams once daily.
Most doctors are not aware of this contradiction in the B.M.I.
(BP meds seem likely to be the most (over-prescribed, as to dosage, of many of the pharmaceuticals.)

Apr 14, 2020
Visit site
Holy Chloroquine Batman!!!

600mg twice a day over 10 days for a total of 12 grams! Yes - 12 grams total consumed at the end of day ten! Are these medical professionals or did they stay at a Holiday Inn Express prior to thinking up this study?
I think the higher dose was used in a Chinese study. The other thing to note is that these patients were already very sick. Even though many had EKG changes, the cause of death was not necessarily due to heart issues. Pretty frustrating. Trump derangement syndrome caused this not to be looked at critically but plastered all over the internet.

VGC

Apr 14, 2020
Visit site
Dec 7, 2019
Visit site
Somewhat Misleading Article.
Problems:
1. Hydroxychloroquine is not the same thing as Chloroquine. The hydroxy version has fewer side effects. Which one was used in Brazil?
2. The Hydroxychloroquine therapy used most successfully by French epidemiologist, Professor Didier Raoult, and by physicians in NYC, combined it with Zitheromyecin and Z-pak zinc, as well as vitamins such as A, D and C. That is what produced the very best results, not Chloroquine or Hydrochloroquine all by itself.
3. If irregular heartbeat is all that was produced as side effects, that is really no huge problem, usually corrected by increasing intake of magnesium supplements or a diet high in green leafy vegetables. Or Hawthorne herb in modest doses.
4. Mainstream medicine has a long history of fraudulent "replications" of successful clinical trials by modifying the protocols to produce a negeative result. The most famous was how the Vitamin C therapy developed by Linus Pauling, for cancer treatment, was "replicated" by using it on terminal cases that had already gone through the wringer of surgeries, chemotherapy and radiation treatments, and were set to die. "Testing for miracles" did not produce the results that Pauling clearly stated could only be obtained by using Vitamin C therapy in the early stages of the disease, when the patient's immune system was still intact.
5. The CDC in recent weeks has advocated counting all kinds of deaths as "Covid19" without testing or rational reasons, other than to boost up the numbers of infected and dead. This is fraud, and the numbers being floated around by both media and "official sources" in the USA can no longer be trusted, anymore than the numbers released by the Chinese Communist Party.
6. I'd like to see Space.com address the totalitarian agendas of the vaccine pushers, such as Bill Gates or Anthony Fauci, they want to keep everyone socially disconnected with masks and such as a nearly permanent feature of American life. They want mandatory vaccines, where doctors team up with police forces and SWAT teams to force people to take them, to break into homes and grab dissenting people, to have "vaccine identity papers" which show if you are an obedient sheep, as a necessity to get a driver's license, to get on an airplane, or go to a concert, sports game, conference or even into the local grocery store. In short, the Chinese Communist system of social demerits would be applied to the Western democracies, under the fraudulent banner of "health care".

Apr 14, 2020
Visit site
The stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me. They use an amount that even the doctors who have prescribed it for years say is an insane amount. However, it is also irresponsible to include it in a headline that would seem to say, using it is unsafe. So there is a lot of falsehood here to go around.

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
I agree Wolfman. It would be nice to get complete facts instead of partial facts. I resorted to an acutual Brazil newspaper concerning their trial which mentions that the lower dose (450mg) that minimizes side effect danger is "closer to what’s being tried in most other studies including in the United States". Nobody has died in that group. The 450mg trial has not been interrupted and is continuing. Also, the safer Hydroxychloroquine is used in US trials. Our fake media announces negative results over a loud speaker but buries any positive results.

Last edited:

LCarlson

Administrator
Nov 12, 2019
Visit site
Here at LiveScience, we want to reiterate that it is absolutely critical to take medications only on the advice of your medical professional. As many have pointed out here, what works for some will not work for others, and the dangers of side effects or unintended interactions with other medications are a significant risk.

It is fantastic to see the global support for testing and studies as we all evolve knowledge during this pandemic.

Mar 11, 2020
Visit site
I agree Wolfman. It would be nice to get complete facts instead of partial facts. I resorted to an acutual Brazil newspaper concerning their trial which mentions that the lower dose (450mg) that minimizes side effect danger is "closer to what’s being tried in most other studies including in the United States". Nobody has died in that group. The 450mg trial has not been interrupted and is continuing. Also, the safer Hydroxychloroquine is used in US trials. Our fake media announces negative results over a loud speaker but buries any positive results.

Really? this is fake news if you don't like them? How is the US molecule "safer"? (did they make it near a bible?)

On the other hand, Trump may have a point with this: if you die due to heart complications, COVID-19's got nothing on you!