Tracking coronavirus near my parent's home

Apr 17, 2020
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I live in New York and my parents live in Georgia. Since the outbreak happened in the US, I have been tracking coronavirus numbers regularly. Getting high-level statewide numbers was good, but my friends and I were more curious to find cases near our family members' home and easily track those locations. We looked for the source data and found that Johns Hopkins University provides a daily geocoded snapshot of COVID cases.

To get a higher fidelity view on the number of cases near a US location here is a small tool we built - https://www.prospercircle.org/coronavirus-near-me

Wanted to share it here if it helps anyone else. A lot of my family and friends have been using it. Hope it helps people here.

If this post about tracking covid or posting a link breaks any rules, please feel free to remove it. Goal is to help people during these stressful times...

LCarlson

Administrator
Nov 12, 2019
Visit site
This post is definitely within our guidelines, and thank you for posting it.
We tend to check links for validity and safety, so I had occasion to use your tracker, it's a useful tool indeed.
~LC

Apr 17, 2020
Visit site
This post is definitely within our guidelines, and thank you for posting it.
We tend to check links for validity and safety, so I had occasion to use your tracker, it's a useful tool indeed.
~LC
Thank you. Encouraged by the positive feedback, I recently added international locations so people outside the US can also see COVID-19 cases in their vicinity.

Too bad that tool can not track a distant local, it only checks your isp. How about a zip code tracking? That way one can track a distant relative.

And if you use a vpn.....it tracts that local, not the computer local.