Throat and facial development.

Aug 27, 2020
Dear all does anyone know if any work has been done on how speech - language- down through generations has influenced throat development /facial characteristics in different peoples?

Best wishes,

Marg

Nov 12, 2020
Here's a round about possible source. On Kanopy.com there is a two part video on a recent study of H. Neanderthalensis; a part of which has a segment on Sapiens and Neanderthal speech by a noted researcher. The video is simply entitled "Neanderthal". That researcher's work may have more detailed data than was in the video which might suit your inquiry. So watch the video and contact the speech researcher. Note: In my area, Kanopy.com is free via a local library card. As I remember the video was a 2018 PBS production and may be readily available from other sources. Search on "Neanderthal"

Nov 26, 2019
Dear all does anyone know if any work has been done on how speech - language- down through generations has influenced throat development /facial characteristics in different peoples?

Best wishes,

Marg
There are a few. So, I've provided a few links which may help further. Of course, you may need to narrow this down further (links below):

Reactions: Marjorie Allworth
Aug 27, 2020
Thank you so much Petra, and all who have answered me.

Over the years [ in my case many!] I have noticed we all develop speech as babies from those around us and yes genetics is the main 'blueprint ' as it were but, could the way groups speak have some subtle influence as well

@petra4 My phenotype looks reasonably normal but - genetically I am different.

Again thank you all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 26, 2019
Thank you so much Petra, and all who have answered me.

Over the years [ in my case many!] I have noticed we all develop speech as babies from those around us and yes genetics is the main 'blueprint ' as it were but, could the way groups speak have some subtle influence as well

@petra4 My phenotype looks reasonably normal but - genetically I am different.

Again thank you all.
Hi Marjorie,

subtle influences over time, yes. The most you spend time with "outside influences", you'll notice a difference. Most would refer to this as "growing up". Yes, that too! As for speech/speaking, this doesn't only come down to genetics.

Quote: genetically I am different.

I need further clarification . . . in what way(s) different?

Aug 27, 2020
Hi Petra,

Well over many generations language may develop differently and have pronunciations that other languages do not have e.g. the French say @Tre bien some of us find difficulty pronouncing the Tre.

How am I different? Well my bone marrow produces Erythrocytes that are more fragile than the 'normal'

A condition called Thalassaemia and, it's genetic and passed on to the next generation!

I will be away for a few days and therefore will be unable to access the live science threads

Marj.

Well
Hi Marjorie,

subtle influences over time, yes. The most you spend time with "outside influences", you'll notice a difference. Most would refer to this as "growing up". Yes, that too! As for speech/speaking, this doesn't only come down to genetics.

Quote: genetically I am different.

I need further clarification . . . in what way(s) different?

Reactions: petra4
Nov 26, 2019
Hi Petra,

Well over many generations language may develop differently and have pronunciations that other languages do not have e.g. the French say @Tre bien some of us find difficulty pronouncing the Tre.

How am I different? Well my bone marrow produces Erythrocytes that are more fragile than the 'normal'

A condition called Thalassaemia and, it's genetic and passed on to the next generation!

I will be away for a few days and therefore will be unable to access the live science threads

Marj.

Well
Appreciate you sharing here on LiveScience and it's community.

There are variable factors which make it difficult to make further comment.

Aug 27, 2020
Appreciate you sharing here on LiveScience and it's community.

There are variable factors which make it difficult to make further comment.
Thank you Petra,

It was just an idea that language and its pronunciation might have an effect on throat and facial development. However as you say there there are many variable factors and I'm probably wrong!

Very best wishes,

Marj.

Reactions: petra4

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS